+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Laying with 3.5 year old. How to stop?

So I have always laid down beside my boy as he falls asleep. I was never into CIO and as I only had the one it worked for us. Now I'm pregnant with number 2 in our last Ivf cycle that I never expected to work. How have you or do you have any ideas that won't be too stressful for my boy to put himself to sleep. He doesn't need a cuddle just somebody there as he falls asleep. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi LP, congrats on your pregnancy, I have been following your journey. I am also UTD with #2 from ivf.
    Try laying with DS and then going away for a short time ie/ "mummy is just going for a minute as i need to ( get a drink/ toilet any excuse really) but I'm coming back soon". Do come back as promised but start to extend the time out over the next few weeks. They generally get more used to heading off to sleep without you there and you find yourself coming back as promised to find them snoring. Good luck x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

Mummy5ormore  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd always wanted me to stay with her as well. We ended up putting her to bed and read a story then I would say that I will come back and check on her.
    I started by just standing by the door so she could hear I was there then the next week I would go back into her room every two minutes. It took awhile and I still need to go and check on her but it saved my sanity lol.
    As long as dd knew I was coming back to check on her she was happy.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    By the time you have the baby he will be atleast 4 lovely age (to me anyway) and he may handle it fine if you don't have time to lay with him but maybe you will still have time to lay with him and still find that you feel good you are able to continue your little bonding after the baby arrives . Congrats x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, still plenty of time yet so don't stress about it. However, I just tell my kids I have some jobs to do and will come back soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started by doing something in DS1's room (usually folding and putting away laundry) instead of laying with him. Then I started doing the laundry outside his bedroom but within eyesight. Then I moved to telling him Id be in the other room but would check on him. Now I just tell him goodnight and if he protests and asks me to lay with him I remind him Im just in the next room and Ill check on him. If he is sick/very upset, I still lay with him. Good luck and congrats

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Love the replies so far. I should mention I will be on my own as hubby is FIFO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We did a lot of practice during the day first. We counted how many steps to our room and reinforced we are just 10 steps away. We told him that we could hear him from our room - We got hm to sit on his bed and me in our bed (or vice versa) and called out to each other, like 'hey can you hear me? I'm just going to sleep now'. And then at bedtime we did story, chat, cuddle and left, and told him we'd wait in our bedroom reading until he fell asleep. He sometimes cried a bit and I'd say "I'm coming in to give you one last hug and then it's sleep time". Honestly, he took to it beautifully. After about a week we stopped waiting in the next room.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    Hi LP, congrats on your pregnancy, I have been following your journey. I am also UTD with #2 from ivf.
    Try laying with DS and then going away for a short time ie/ "mummy is just going for a minute as i need to ( get a drink/ toilet any excuse really) but I'm coming back soon". Do come back as promised but start to extend the time out over the next few weeks. They generally get more used to heading off to sleep without you there and you find yourself coming back as promised to find them snoring. Good luck x
    Congrats on your number 2 btw.. Will test the waters this week sometime.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (07-11-2014)