+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Hyperthyroidism in pregnancy Question

I have just been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) and have had different opinions from different DRs in regards to treatment. One DR has suggested that is caused by the pregnancy hormones due to no previous history and that it should settle itself out in the second trimester. Another DR has recommended I start medication ASAP. Has anyone else experienced this in pregnancy? Did you require treatment or did it sort itself out as the pregnancy progressed. Any information about Hyperthyroidism in pregnancy would be appreciated as I haven't been too informed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes mine came up as slightly high at 10w bloods
    They said that preg hormones do this sometimes then settle
    I had another test at 16 w and it was slightly low.
    Not sure how high yours was though

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Hypnotize  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your reply Kazza78. This is where I am confused. One Dr said they are only slightly out and that's why they think its just pregnancy related and will correct itself. But the other Dr recommends medication anyway. Did you have to take the medication?
    Last edited by Hypnotize; 04-03-2015 at 12:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got told that because it was only slightly high, meds were not needed. If however it had gone up at next bloods, then possibly I may have needed meds.
    It's strange how only 6 weeks later mine went the opposite direction and ended up being on the low end.
    Did/do you have nausea/vomiting ?
    Because apparently having morning sickness can bring the reading up, then when it goes, it normalizes

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll bump your thread up to see if you get any more replies

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Hypnotize  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Hypnotize, I don't have any experience from the pregnancy side of it, but have they tested to find out whether you have Hashimoto's (the autoimmune thyroid disease) or are they sure it's plain hyperthyroidism? Reason being is that with Hashimoto's (which I have), the levels can swing from hyper to hypo quite quickly, so it makes taking the medication rather tricky.

Personally, if you're only slightly over, I'd ask them to keep testing you to decide whether you will need medication or not (whether your levels keep going up). If you take medication when you're only slightly over, you might be at risk of sending yourself too far the other way into hypothyroidism. From what I understand it's quite important to try and make sure you stay as close to normal levels as possible during pregnancy for the health of your bub as well as you - is that right @Kazza78 ? I'm sure you know much more about that than me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Hypnotize  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! I had pregnancy induced hyperthyroidism with my twin pregnancy. Discovered at around 10 weeks I think. I can't remember my numbers, but I had a phonecall at home from my GP, then my OB both saying they were concerned. Saw my OB the next day, who referred me to an endocrinologist, who I saw the day after that I think! He didn't want to medicate me, but said the levels should drop after 1st trimester. I think he said that the pregnancy hormone hcg mimics the thyroid hormone and the thyroid works extra hard to compensate. I had repeat bloods done, and by 16 weeks (I think) it was back to normal. I had palpitations, nausea, extreme fatigue and weight loss, all of which I put down to pregnancy symptoms until my blood results showed my thyroid issues would have contributed to it!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sezzle For This Useful Post:

Hypnotize  (13-11-2014),Samy2014  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with above

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there!
    I have had a past history of Graves' Disease (autoimmune hyperthyroidism) which resolved during my first pregnancy and fortunately didn't return.
    However, from my blood tests taken at about 8 weeks of pregnancy this time around, it looked like I had an overactive thyroid again - was told to consult with my endocrinologist, which i did, but couldn't get an appointment for 6 weeks. At that appointment, she told me that the reference ranges for "normal" are different in the first trimester - and that my results, while showing overactivity/hyperthyroidism compared to "normal" values, actually just scraped in as "first trimester normal". In any case, we did a repeat set of bloods - by this time I was in the second trimester, and I was back within the usual normal range.
    Interestingly, she put my slightly abnormal readings down to me likely having very high HCG levels in early pregnancy - which she felt accounted for my hyperemesis gravidarum as well. Apparently this can affect your thyroid levels too!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mummyChubbles For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (09-11-2014),Hypnotize  (13-11-2014),Samy2014  (22-09-2015)