+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default $$$ What do they charge ...what would you offer.

Hi it's my DD year 6 formal in Dec.
    We have a dress but I want to have her hair and makeup done also.
    I know that some places charge ridiculous prices so I have had and idea of asking one of the mums at school that I have complimented on her makeup.
    To see if she will do it so my questions are ...
    How would you feel if another mum at school approached you and asked ?

If she said yes what is a good price to offer?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd feel flattered if I got asked! Hopefully she feels the same way.

As for price, I'm clueless. Maybe offer to buy her a nice bottle of wine (if she is a drinker). Just let her know, if she is ok with doing your DDs makeup, that you do want to compensate her for her time, whether monetary or gift wise.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Does the other Mum have a child in the same grade as your DD? If so she might be busy getting her own child ready for the formal so might say no. I think personally I would find it flattering but a bit odd, I wouldn't know how to 'do' make up for a child, I agree with a pp, at that age they don't need much done at all.

There's no harm in asking though, if she says no and you'd rather not pay to have it done and you're really not sure about doing it yourself, look up make up tutorials on YouTube, there are hundreds and most are easy to follow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    Does the other Mum have a child in the same grade as your DD? If so she might be busy getting her own child ready for the formal so might say no. I think personally I would find it flattering but a bit odd, I wouldn't know how to 'do' make up for a child, I agree with a pp, at that age they don't need much done at all.

There's no harm in asking though, if she says no and you'd rather not pay to have it done and you're really not sure about doing it yourself, look up make up tutorials on YouTube, there are hundreds and most are easy to follow.
    No she doesn't have a child going to formal....

I don't mind paying her what ever was fair ...

I wanted to have someone else do it other than me ...make DD feel special that someone else was doing it IYKWIM. .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not sure if it's still how it works, but you used to be able to get places like the body shop to do makeup for free/cheap if you bought an item of makeup from them. So like a lipstick or something and they'd do the makeup. Perhaps try one of the counters at Myer and see what they say. I agree that in year 6 they won't need much. A light dusting of a powder foundation, smudge of eye shadow smudge of lipstick/lip gloss and a touch of mascara. Australis have a clear mascara if you don't want her to have too much on. Really at 11 just having a little bit of make up on made me feel pretty grown up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly for a year 6 graduation I wouldn't even be getting makeup 'done'. Whatever she's got at home would be ample.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (07-11-2014),Tamtam  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @purpleflowers I know you want to make your daughter feel special for a big milestone... I agree with the others though about not needing much in the way of makeup.

For my primary school graduation, my nan bought be a beautiful dress, took me to have my hair done (just a simple style), and the hairdresser also put a little bit of eyeshadow and lip gloss on me. It was oh so simple and age appropriate but the fact it was done by a professional made me feel really special and grown up. Plus it was really nice to have a girls afternoon with my nan. Could you maybe do this for your daughter?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, unless I was a make up artist I'd feel like it was a bit weird if someone from school asked me to their kids make up :/ That's just me personally though.

I agree with Lil Miss, maybe getting a simple hairstyle done at a hairdresser and asking them to put a little make up on her there would be a great girls afternoon for the two of you and make her feel special!

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If someone asked me to do their child's make up I would feel uncomfortable to be honest as I am not a make up artist.

Thinking back to my primary school graduation, Mum took me to get my hair done at the hairdresser which was lovely, I am pretty sure I did not wear any make up. But in my mind sitting down with her with your make up bag, going through it and choosing a lip gloss or something and just chatting about make up would make it special enough IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you need to get someone else to do her makeup, she's not going to need much and I think it would be nicer to have a little bit of bonding time with you doing her makeup. She won't need to wear much anyway, at that age I personally don't think I'd really want her wearing anything more than a bit of lip gloss and possibly some mascara. But that's just me.