+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2yr old is the same - I'm
    Over it! She still has plenty of energy, is growing despite the fact I can see her ribs. I guess they will eat when they are hungry?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There's a good book called "give peas a chance". It basically says from ages 1-3 eating isn't as important as it was the first 12 months of your child's life. Development is more important. It's a good read and made me stress less about my DD.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiery For This Useful Post:

debsch  (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    Would she be interested in smoothies?

I recently went to an eating class and they really just said to keep offering and to make meal times a safe place. So somewhere secure they can sit and eat their food. Remain calm and positive and be conscious of what you say even if they refuse the food.

Sometimes a platter can help them try foods. At the class they had a fruit platter which ds1 walked straight up to. He picked up a strawberry which is something he hates and he put it in his mouth and chewed. He spat it out but the ot pointed out that at least he tried it. She said a lot of kids nay try things if there's a choice and if they can help themselves. She also said to have something there that she will eat so the food doesn't look new and daunting.

Could you maybe try giving her store chips and nuggets but adding in a few homemade bits?

The ot also said that using utensils for things may help them try new foods because some kids won't try something purely because they don't like the feel of it. Ds1 will only eat kiwi fruit off a spoon. He loves it but if I just cut it up he grabs it and says eww then won't eat it.

Sorry if none of this is helpful. Some kids are just fussy no matter what you try
    When I get desperate to get something into my toddler and especially if she is sick, i take her to boost juice and get one of the smoothies with greens in it. Caribbean something or rather. Loves it and she is freakin fussy as too. Would is it eat crackers if she could. I can get pretty strict too. Eg. I offer two different kinds of fruit and if she refuses then it is nothing then. She understands. We had a stand off all day once and she finally ate a banana that afternoon and some veg that evening. But there are days that I just don't have the energy to fight it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tippytoes For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about yogurt and dairy? My son wouldn't eat vegies and pretty much lived on toast and dairy at one point. I would put pureed orange sweet vegies into yoghurt and he loved it. Or you could try hummus or cashew cheese on toast for a change. Does she like sausages? If so you could try vegetarian sausages. I know you can get vegan schnitzel so they might make vegetarian nuggets. Also falefels might be popular. Store bought vegetarian stuff is full of salt to give it flavour and is mostly soy and potato but I at least felt like my son was getting vegies. Every few months he would devour a whole head of broccoli but hate it again the next day!

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been through this and it was hell. The only thing that worked was completely cutting out all snacks and only offering good foods that DS likes. So when he eats now he is hungry and more likely to eat. Unfortunately my DS doesn't eat much meat but he has improved so much on other healthy foods.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    Would she be interested in smoothies?

I recently went to an eating class and they really just said to keep offering and to make meal times a safe place. So somewhere secure they can sit and eat their food. Remain calm and positive and be conscious of what you say even if they refuse the food.

Sometimes a platter can help them try foods. At the class they had a fruit platter which ds1 walked straight up to. He picked up a strawberry which is something he hates and he put it in his mouth and chewed. He spat it out but the ot pointed out that at least he tried it. She said a lot of kids nay try things if there's a choice and if they can help themselves. She also said to have something there that she will eat so the food doesn't look new and daunting.

Could you maybe try giving her store chips and nuggets but adding in a few homemade bits?

The ot also said that using utensils for things may help them try new foods because some kids won't try something purely because they don't like the feel of it. Ds1 will only eat kiwi fruit off a spoon. He loves it but if I just cut it up he grabs it and says eww then won't eat it.

Sorry if none of this is helpful. Some kids are just fussy no matter what you try
    Great advice especially the store nuggets and home made bits. Love this. I'm going to try it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep it's a hard slog. I also recommend the book "Give Peas a Chance". Also this thread has heaps of tips from others dealing with the same issue http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ad!&highlight=

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our boy is also two and sometimes eats and sometimes doesn't.
    I hold on to two pieces of advice:

#1 from "Baby & Child" by Penelope Leach
    "Believe that your child will never starve, if he is offered adequate food."

#2 from my MIL
    "Day one no eat. Day two no eat. Day three eat."

And our 2yr old actually did this one week a while back. Day one he ate a bit during the day but no dinner. Day two he ate some breakfast then nothing all day, refusing dinner and only having a sip of water. We didn't make a fuss or try get him to eat anything different. Day three, he ate! Breakfast, lunch & dinner. Phew! (I was silently a little worried.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

Our Family is now complete.
    Welcome DS The 'Easy One' 28.09.2014.
    Feisty and Independent DD 02.03.2012
    DH 36
    L'il ol Me 31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Great advice especially the store nuggets and home made bits. Love this. I'm going to try it
    Fx you have some luck