+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone else's baby arching their back?

My baby started arching her back when as soon as she turned 4 months old. She arches it right up and leans her head back so her weight is balancing on the crown of her head and bum. It hurts my neck looking at it
    She used to only do it when she was tired or excited by something ie the mobile in the cot. Now she is doing it all day long and scooting upwards doing it. She doesn't seem upset when she does it.
    I was just wondering if it was just exploring a new talent, or is it more sinister? I know back arching is sometimes indicative of brain damage in older people but idk about babies. CHN has never heard of babies doing this, oddly enough... she is a bit useless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm interested to see what other responses you get as my bubba does this from time to time too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say new talent
    Dd still does this with gusto at 7.5months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yip. My almost 5 and a half month old does this. Sometimes it almost looks like she's trying to turn herself into a pretzel; and I think she might break her neck if she tries to arch much further.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both of mine did it I think its totally normal, they are just discovering what their little bodies can do. Ds at 7 mths doesnt do it as much now he is getting more into the grabbing my hair, neck, face stage!!
    I find it a little odd your chn has never heard of babies doing it

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure there was a whole article on the Raising Children site because my dd used to do it too. Your CNN is useless because it's common. Sometimes it's a type of tantrum, them trying to show they don't like a position etc. Or it could just be them discovering their body, stretching those little muscles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd used to do this after a feed. She had severe reflux and colic. Arching was her way of relieving pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little man did this for a few weeks around that age and then one day he just rolled over and has stopped doing it. So maybe just getting the muscles working to roll over shortly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same as @LysnDan here, our dd does it after a feed too and shes on medication for reflux. ...its got better since its been picked up but she still does it