+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do I need a breast pump?

Is a breast pump really necessary? Bub will be fully breast fed.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have one. It's necessary for me for a couple of reasons:
    I'm going back to work when DS is 5 months and want to keep breast feeding.
    Secondly, DS sleeps 8 hours overnight. So when he wakes up, my boobs are huge and I need to express a few minutes each side so he can attach.
    I bought the spectra S2 and it's great but if you're not sure if you'll need one, perhaps wait or buy an inexpensive manual one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was given mine as a group present for my baby shower. I didn't know if I would get a lot of use out of it but to be honest it was the most used baby item I had. I had DS at 37 weeks. He was 2.5kg, little and had not sucking reflex. I struggled with BF in the beginning and expressed after every (attempted) feed for the next feed for top ups. (This went on nearly 6 week). Without mine DS would have not had BM.

ETA: I was given the Medela swing. If I had my choice now I would buy a double pump for efficiency. GL x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My pump got a massive workout. From expressing so I could leave bub for a couple of hours in someone else's care to pumping because I was too engorged for comfort or for bub to pumping because I had repeat mastitis and my pump helped get my lumps out.

Having said that, it wasn't purchased until the day we came home from the hospital and knew we would need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wait until your baby is born and see how you feel. I bought one before my baby was born with the intention of BFing and expressing with the pump. Well, after four weeks I ended up FFing. So things didn't quite go to plan for us and I used the $250 pump maybe 4 or 5 times. Massive waste of money.

You can also hire them, so that might be an alternative to try before you buy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did not find my pump much use at all. I fully breastfed DS1 till 15 months and have been exclusively BFing DS2 for 7 weeks so far. I found a pump useless because:

Ds1 & 2 feed so regularly (2-3 hours) there is no time for expressing.
    DS1 wouldn't take a bottle.
    I am able to hand express as quickly as the hospital grade pumps (although its messier hand expressing, you don't have to sterilise the pump.)

As pp say, you may end up FFing. even in my case of fully BFing, for some women it's an essential item but definitely not for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes if you want to do any of the following:

Go back to work
    Have a drink
    Go anywhere without your child
    Increase milk supply
    Keep your supply up if bub is sick and refuses to feed (this happened one day when DS had a stomach bug)
    Relieve engorgement

I recommend it - but you have to have a bub willing to take a bottle so will have to express & bottle feed at least once a week to keep them comfortable with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I bought one while still in hospital as my DD. Couldn't latch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd wait to buy one until you have established breastfeeding, they're quite expensive. I bought one and used it maybe 4 times as we switched to formula at 5 days old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a twelve week old breastfeed DD and haven't needed a pump. I have had to hand express a bit a couple of times to deal with engorgement, and that was fine. I am considering expressing when bubs is six months +, so that I can return to work part time, but will try hand expressing and giving it to her from a cup, as I am very lazy and the idea of cleaning a pump and bottles makes me very tired! So no, I would say you don't need a pump, but may like one at some stage. I would wait and see if I were you.