+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Losec/Omeprazole in pregnancy

I'm suffering from a bad gastritis flare up, and my gp has prescribed me Losec 20mg. Has anyone else taken it in pregnancy? Info on the web is conflicting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Mis84 I have been on omeprazole since the age of 16 and was taken off it by my GP as soon as I fell pregnant, when I did have bad flare ups I was prescribed ranitidine but only to take as and when. I don't think there is enough info on omeprazole/losec in pregnancy, although saying that I don't know if there is much more for raniditine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there

I was on omeprazole for most of my pregnancy for severe reflux/heartburn. It's a category B1 I think and my obstetrician was completely fine with me taking it and it is very common to prescribe it. Ranitidine didn't work so this was the next best thing. It saved my life as I wasn't able to eat or drink which would have been much worse than the tablet itself. My baby is now 7 weeks old and no ill effects from it. I actually still have to take it as pregnancy seems to have completely screwed up my stomach!

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not currently pregnant, but used to be lanzoprazole before TTC & my GP tried me on the Omeprazole when we started trying as it's a safer category.
    Neither my GP or FS sees an issue with this, so you should be fine