+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Here's another one. There's a virus (will find what it's called later, getting ready for work atm) which, when contracted during pregnancy, causes about half of all hearing loss for newborns. Washing hands regularly etc. could significantly reduce this. Shall we charge mothers for knowingly not washing their hands?

I know it's a bit different, but I guess the point is, there are SO many things that a pregnant mother can do that COULD harm her baby. None of it's clear cut, although there are degrees.
    It's called CMV - my son has hearing loss and we currently have geneticists testing for this.

Back on topic - there will always be people who break the law so having a law against drinking while pregnant isn't going to stop it. I just saw the other day a mother that I sort of know through kindy light up a smoke in the car with her 3 kids in there and she's pregnant. I'm sure she would know it's illegal yet she still chose to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Big difference is: probability and proof ... Not washing your hands may result in a tiny chance of this virus...most people wouldn't know about it... And good luck trying to prove the woman didn't wash her hands as opposed to just touching a dirty surface in between washes.
    Actually VP it is exactly the same.

Drinking in pregnancy may result in FAS. It may not.
    I'm one who has a few sips of wine here and there during pregnancy. If you make it illegal I'll keep doing it and good luck proving it as it happens at home or with friends.
    A woman with a FAS child could always say she got hammered before knowing she was pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't drink while pregnant, I would've loved a small glass of wine here or there but I would have never forgiven myself if I had and something had gone wrong (as it was it did go wrong, we nearly lost her and she was in NICU for a short period - if I had had ANYTHING to drink I would've fully blamed myself). I don't understand when people say they had a drink, I know there is little chance of anything being affected if it's just a small drink but still. If it's just going to be a small drink then why bother? Why not have a soft drink or alcohol removed wine?

I don't think they should or could have a blanket ban, what I would support is rehab centres/programs for pregnant women who are identified as drinking heavily. As for the smoking issue - I think anyone who smokes around a child (knowingly! Not talking about lighting up and then turning around to see a child unless they then didn't put it out or move well away) - pregnant or otherwise - should be prosecuted. It's easy to prove (it's visible) and it's not on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The thing is you don't have to understand why people do what they do. It doesn't affect you. It's not illegal. I don't understand why some parents don't vaccinate. I see that as far more dangerous than the odd glass of wine yet that's not illegal.

I too had a glass of wine here and there through all my 4 pregnancies. There was a study a few years back which concluded that the children of mothers who drink moderately in pregnancy were more intelligent than those of mothers who do not. I'll see if I can find it.

There is still so much going both ways on this people need to be very careful how they judge.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (09-11-2014),LaDiDah  (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Actually VP it is exactly the same.

Drinking in pregnancy may result in FAS. It may not.
    I'm one who has a few sips of wine here and there during pregnancy. If you make it illegal I'll keep doing it and good luck proving it as it happens at home or with friends.
    A woman with a FAS child could always say she got hammered before knowing she was pregnant.
    Have a read of my previous posts. I am not suggesting making a drink here and there while pregnant illegal. If you regularly get blotto drunk while pregnant then yes I am suggesting the book be thrown at you.

I know proving it won't be easy but between social media posts and the testimony of friends then at least some offenders will be caught. And if they are then unable to drink for the remainder if the pregnancy because they are in rehab/prison then that's fine by me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely it should never be made illegal. We cannot police womens (or any person's) bodies. And I really can't see how it would be helpful to name and shame women in this way! All we can do as humans is reach out and offer any help we can to another. The best and most effective help comes from non-judgmental, understanding people after all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The hard thing with the law is that it's a bit of a pandora box when a new one is opened. I also agree wilfully and knowingly doing so much damage to a foetus and leaving them to live a hard life is deplorable and should be illegal but the problem is you say this woman committed a crime, so the woman who got drunk every second day must have committed a crime and then so on until having just one drink does become illegal. It's just a slippery slope.

I hate the idea of pregnant women getting so drunk everyday but I really also fear the day a law is passed that makes a woman liable for doing something to her own body.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have a read of my previous posts. I am not suggesting making a drink here and there while pregnant illegal. If you regularly get blotto drunk while pregnant then yes I am suggesting the book be thrown at you.

I know proving it won't be easy but between social media posts and the testimony of friends then at least some offenders will be caught. And if they are then unable to drink for the remainder if the pregnancy because they are in rehab/prison then that's fine by me.
    Testimony of friends would be hearsay. Even social media posts are hardly gospel. I don't think anyone would support a law where one could have the book thrown at them without conclusive evidence. If I posted a picture of myself on Facebook surrounded by drinks and then drove home and 2 or 3 acquaintances with a grudge said I'd been drinking, would that be enough to conclude I was guilty of drink driving? Of course not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Testimony of friends would be hearsay. Even social media posts are hardly gospel. I don't think anyone would support a law where one could have the book thrown at them without conclusive evidence. If I posted a picture of myself on Facebook surrounded by drinks and then drove home and 2 or 3 acquaintances with a grudge said I'd been drinking, would that be enough to conclude I was guilty of drink driving? Of course not.
    With social media I meant if a woman posts "yay I'm pregnant!" Then that can be used in court to prove she .. Knew she was pregnant ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With social media I meant if a woman posts "yay I'm pregnant!" Then that can be used in court to prove she .. Knew she was pregnant ..
    Yes and no- it's evidence she said she was pregnant- but it's no blood test iykwim. I saw recently that people sell positive preg tests on eBay these days, crazy!