+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default It might become illegal in Britain to drink alcohol while pregnant.

If it does become illegal then I believe smoking while pregnant will, and should, become illegal too.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29614...lflow_facebook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nasalhaironfire For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It'll be interesting to see what the judgement is (the Court of Appeals has reserved their judgement)

Here is one of the articles for the non-clickers:

Drinking while pregnant is a 'crime of violence' court hears

The Court of Appeal has heard how the mother drank half a bottle of vodka and eight cans of strong lager a day

Drinking while pregnant has been called a “crime of violence” in the case of a woman alleged to have consumed a “grossly excessive” amount of alcohol during her pregnancy.

Lawyers for a council in the North West of England are seeking compensation for a seven-year-old girl known as child ‘CP’ with “growth-retardation” allegedly caused by her mother’s excessive drinking while pregnant.

The mother was described as drinking “an enormous amount” while carrying the child, including half a bottle of vodka and eight cans of strong lager a day.

John Foy QC, appearing for child CP told the Court of Appeals the amount of alcohol consumed by the mother amounted to between 40-57 units of alcohol a day, adding that she “was aware of the dangers to her baby of her excessive consumption during pregnancy”.

“She was reckless as to whether there would be hard to the foetus. She foresaw that harm might be caused but went on to take the risk,” he added.

Child CP was born with Foetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) a serious condition that can cause a children to experience restricted growth, facial abnormalities and learning and behavioural disorders, and the council responsible for her is seeking an award on her behalf under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.

The case could pave the way for pregnant women’s behaviour to be criminalised, according to the British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS) and Birthrights.

But Ben Collins, appearing for the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) asked the court to reject the case, stating that there is a “conflict of ideas about what is or is not dangerous, not only in terms of drink but also in terms of smoking and food”.

Mr Collins asked whether “a pregnant mother who eats unpasteurised cheese or a soft boiled egg knowing there is a risk that it could give rise to a risk of hard to the foetus” might also find herself accused of a crime.

The Court of Appeals has reserved its judgement in the case of CP, and said the court will take time to consider its decision.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-9843885.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry if ppl don't agree but I can't believe women would smoke and drink while pregnant?!! I don't get it.
    I see it lots!! I have drank once in the last 5.5 yrs and that was when I stopped breastfeeding before TTC #2 then I have had back to back pregnancies and breastfeeding between. I really don't like the lame excuse nothing happens to the baby, ok if you say so

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy5ormore For This Useful Post:

jesssalee  (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a very slippery slope and not something I wish to see happen.

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-11-2014),dancingchipmunk  (07-11-2014),headoverfeet  (08-11-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (07-11-2014),Meld85  (08-11-2014),misskittyfantastico  (07-11-2014),monkeymama  (07-11-2014),RobinSparkles  (07-11-2014),SpecialK  (07-11-2014),~ElectricPink~  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It won't happen.

They'd be better off finding rehab solutions or safe houses instead of trying to put a blanket ban on everyone anyway. This woman is clearly an alcoholic & she needs help, not prosecution. I feel so terrible for the daughter who has FAS, but if there was the option to put this woman (& others like her) into a rehab centre or a safe house where they are watched & assisted & physically stopped from drinking, then we could more easily avoid future cases of FAS. It would also solve things without making it a crime for a pregnant woman to enjoy a drink, which the vast majority of pregnant women do sparingly & sensibly.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to McBecks For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-11-2014),jesssalee  (09-11-2014),monkeymama  (07-11-2014),SpecialK  (07-11-2014),~ElectricPink~  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy5ormore View Post
    Sorry if ppl don't agree but I can't believe women would smoke and drink while pregnant?!! I don't get it.
    I see it lots!! I have drank once in the last 5.5 yrs and that was when I stopped breastfeeding before TTC #2 then I have had back to back pregnancies and breastfeeding between. I really don't like the lame excuse nothing happens to the baby, ok if you say so

Completely agree with you. Its 9 months.. I would support it becoming illegal.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (08-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy5ormore View Post
    You may get a nosebleed on that high horse of yours! Alcoholism is a illness that can't just be switched off the moment you find out you're pregnant!

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (07-11-2014),DizzyDaisy  (07-11-2014),jb23  (07-11-2014),Meld85  (08-11-2014),MsViking  (07-11-2014),soccer mum  (14-11-2014),Soon2be4  (08-11-2014),SpecialK  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't drink a drop while pg and I gave up smoking within days of finding out this time. But there needs to be context there. There is a whole lot of space between half a bottle of vodka and 6 beers a day and the occasional shandy with a pub meal.

A woman drinking that amount could be argued to be an alcoholic and will find other ways of getting it rather than buying it herself. Meanwhile the woman who has the shandy twice in a pg is punished and labelled.

Obviously drinking to that level is dangerous and selfish. But a blanket rule is taking away bodily autonomy.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (08-11-2014),Busy-Bee  (07-11-2014),Mezmerised  (08-11-2014),~ElectricPink~  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They can ban it, but it won't solve the problem. Drinkers gunna drink.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

JR03  (07-11-2014),monkeymama  (07-11-2014),MsViking  (07-11-2014),SpecialK  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a glass of Dom Perignon at my wedding, I was pregnant. Should I be arrested, fined, locked up?

A lot of alcohol is obviously a very bad situation for a pregnant woman, a person who has half a glass of red at a four course gala dinner over a number of hours - get real people!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (07-11-2014),~ElectricPink~  (07-11-2014)