+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Edens Landing
    Posts
    253
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    54
    Reviews
    0
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default Substitutes to Rice Cereal?

    I started giving my 5mo DS a small amount of rice cereal mixed with his usual prepared formula, (maybe half a table spoon total once mixed) before his bottle once a day and he seems to be taking it okay, just wanting to slowly wean him onto solids.

    What else could I start trying him on without too much waste? I don't want to buy the puréed food pouches and such because if he is only eating a tiny amount to get him used to it, that's a whole lot wasted.

    Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm kinda clueless as a FTM aha n.n"


    {{DS ~ 5 months ~ Batman}}
    {{DP ~ 20 years ~ Sammy}}
    {{Furbaby ~ 2 years ~ Bellatrix}}

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,219
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked
    1,070
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We ditched the rice cereal after one go with it and changed to baby porridge (raffetys) it's much finer than normal porridge and much tastier than rice cerial.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,548
    Thanks
    323
    Thanked
    713
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started my DD on solids just before she hit 6mnths. I used to give her mashed banana (you could just mash a bit of the end and eat the rest yourself). I also used to cook meals in the slow cooker. Throw some oats, water, diced apple and cinnamon in a slow cooker for the day then use the potato masher to squish it all up. It is soft enough for them to manage and she had no problems with it. Cooking like that means you can freeze it into small portions (like in an ice cube tray) so there is minimal wastage. Plus, I could eat everything I fed her and it tasted good so I just ate the rest if she didn't like it.

    If they are ready for solids babies can handle small soft lumps from the start. It doesn't necessarily have to be pureed. You just have to watch them with every new food to be sure they can manage it ok and don't have a reaction.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

    debsch  (07-11-2014)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Edens Landing
    Posts
    253
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    54
    Reviews
    0
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    We ditched the rice cereal after one go with it and changed to baby porridge (raffetys) it's much finer than normal porridge and much tastier than rice cerial.
    Do you just get that from the grocery store? He doesn't seem to like the taste of the rice cereal aha.


    {{DS ~ 5 months ~ Batman}}
    {{DP ~ 20 years ~ Sammy}}
    {{Furbaby ~ 2 years ~ Bellatrix}}

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Edens Landing
    Posts
    253
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked
    54
    Reviews
    0
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    I started my DD on solids just before she hit 6mnths. I used to give her mashed banana (you could just mash a bit of the end and eat the rest yourself). I also used to cook meals in the slow cooker. Throw some oats, water, diced apple and cinnamon in a slow cooker for the day then use the potato masher to squish it all up. It is soft enough for them to manage and she had no problems with it. Cooking like that means you can freeze it into small portions (like in an ice cube tray) so there is minimal wastage. Plus, I could eat everything I fed her and it tasted good so I just ate the rest if she didn't like it.

    If they are ready for solids babies can handle small soft lumps from the start. It doesn't necessarily have to be pureed. You just have to watch them with every new food to be sure they can manage it ok and don't have a reaction.
    That probably explains why my mama gave me ice trays in my baby shower hamper xD thanks for your tips! :3


    {{DS ~ 5 months ~ Batman}}
    {{DP ~ 20 years ~ Sammy}}
    {{Furbaby ~ 2 years ~ Bellatrix}}

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,033
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked
    331
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I actually used organic weetbix. I initially started with half a weetbix and a fair bit of milk. I would make it really mushy, then as they got used to the consistency would put less and less milk in.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,139
    Thanks
    2,676
    Thanked
    2,950
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If you're still wanting the ease and consistency of a rice cereal OP, you could try Nestle's 'Cerealac', (not sure of the spelling) it has a wheat cereal that you could use as your 'base' and then introduce your vegies and fruits etc into it. You can just put boiled water in it, if you didn't want to add the formula. A box tends to last a while for one baby and you can keep it in an airtight container to keep it fresh like normal cereals.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,465
    Thanks
    3,185
    Thanked
    6,485
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You can try making quinoa porridge - a lot more nutrients than rice - I just bought organic quinoa puffs from the health food shop ( looks like tiny rice bubbles!) and just mix with formula and add mashed pear or banana and gave him loaded spoons (we did baby led weaning which I highly recommend!)

    Also start giving him thick cut cucumber sticks to suck on - great for learning to pick things up and self feeding plus if they are cold will help with teething - I used to dip mine in goats yogurt or hummus

    Also at that age try offer solids after his formula as you do not want him filling up before his milk as that is far more important at this age!

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

    debsch  (07-11-2014),jellybelly90  (06-11-2014)

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,219
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked
    1,070
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BatmansMama View Post
    Do you just get that from the grocery store? He doesn't seem to like the taste of the rice cereal aha.


    {{DS ~ 5 months ~ Batman}}
    {{DP ~ 20 years ~ Sammy}}
    {{Furbaby ~ 2 years ~ Bellatrix}}
    Yes, it's in the baby food section of Woolies and Coles.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Baby cereal
    By loulou21 in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-07-2014, 23:11
  2. farex / baby rice cereal / solids in general
    By CSCA in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 30-04-2014, 23:02
  3. Thermomix baby rice cereal
    By Miados2007 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 23-02-2014, 14:01

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
The Fix Program Sydney CBD and Broadway
Pregnancy and women's health physio, pregnancy and new mum Pilates classes taught by our physios for you and bub. Pregnancy back and pelvic pain. Also, we treat postnatal and women of all ages. Incontinence, prolapse, sexual and pelvic pain.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!