+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Gross stuff you know about food..

So i just found out that golden circle branded juices are not suitable for vegetarians/vegans/hindus as they use beef gelatine and alcohol to clarify the juices.
    Then i was thinking about how bread is meant to contain rats and mice because they get ground up with wheat when it's harvested, and how tomato/BBQ sauce is full of worms because the sauces are made out of rotten fruits and vegies. Milk contains blood and pus due to mastitis/over milking.

So what other gross things are there when it comes to food?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chicken sausages have very little meat in them. It's normally filler (rice meal) and fat and skin to give it the chicken flavour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I know if I read anymore things like that I may never eat again lol

NurseAnni is offline Winner 2014 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    As much as I thank Jamie Oliver for teaching me that the cheap pre made chicken nuggets are full of offcuts, bones, gross 'leftovers'... yep still addicted lol

Sent from my GT-S6102 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OMG i feel sick now.........

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    I know if I read anymore things like that I may never eat again lol

Haha... i think the more i know, the more successful i will be in my weightloss mission.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Rats/mice in grain when harvested: I grew up on a farm & I have never seen a header bin full of blood & guts! I think if an animal went through the combine it would possibly block it up making the driver have to stop & check what is going on. Header's are extremely complicated machines, they have so many moving parts the least little thing screws them up. I guess a mouse could go through whole but have never seen or heard of it?
    Pus/blood in milk: DH is an ex dairy farmer & now an animal health consultant - milk gets tested & graded so the farmer gets paid for milk quality, surely they test for blood/pus? Also when an animal gets mastitis I think they get milked separately & the milk discarded as many of the antibiotics they use have withholding periods. Plus then it all gets pasteurised! It's for this reason my DH thinks that organic milk is disgusting - no antibiotics, no vaccination!
    I agree - how chicken nuggets are made us gross but I still eat them occasionally!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Rats/mice in grain when harvested: I grew up on a farm & I have never seen a header bin full of blood & guts! I think if an animal went through the combine it would possibly block it up making the driver have to stop & check what is going on. Header's are extremely complicated machines, they have so many moving parts the least little thing screws them up. I guess a mouse could go through whole but have never seen or heard of it?
    Pus/blood in milk: DH is an ex dairy farmer & now an animal health consultant - milk gets tested & graded so the farmer gets paid for milk quality, surely they test for blood/pus? Also when an animal gets mastitis I think they get milked separately & the milk discarded as many of the antibiotics they use have withholding periods. Plus then it all gets pasteurised! It's for this reason my DH thinks that organic milk is disgusting - no antibiotics, no vaccination!
    I agree - how chicken nuggets are made us gross but I still eat them occasionally!
    You're right, a mouse or rat wouldn't make it through the header screens, it would just get spat out the back like snakes do.

Milk gets a cell count done, and if it's too high the truckload gets rejected at the factory. Anything with clinical mastitis (blood and pus, being treated) gets discarded at the time of milking. Occasionally you get a cow with sub clinical mastitis that might make it through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    You're right, a mouse or rat wouldn't make it through the header screens, it would just get spat out the back like snakes do.
    Well that's a relief given all the bread i've eaten over my lifetime.