+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    If you were having a party/gathering at your home and someone you knew smoked or their partner smoked and they went out on the street to have a smoke, would you tell them not to come back in?
    If they were my friends then they would know not to smoke. Like I said, my opinions are pretty clear. I would make sure that they knew before they went to smoke that I wouldn't accept the smell in my house and then it is their choice. If their need to smoke is greater than their need to respect my property, my health, my DDs health and my rules then I wouldn't be too upset about them not coming back. I only have one friend with a partner who smokes and they live quite a way away. My step mum smokes but she also adheres to my rules about my house and my DD. Her friend also smokes but when she was going round to my stepmums house to see my DD she also made sure she hadn't had one yet that day. It's about respecting others wishes and not forcing your dirty habits onto them.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (06-11-2014),snowqu33n  (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP. What you're asking if completely reasonable. I would be wondering how to word it too though. Probably best for them to know before the come. How about a quick call to say "Hey, we love having you guys over but we really don't want any smoking anywhere at the new house/patio. So perhaps have a couple before you come to keep you going? Thanks for understanding."

It's a tough one!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy5ormore View Post
    We have a newly built home and ppl always go outside however the next day we'd be outside and my son nearly2 (who has been intrigued by smoking since 1) picks up the buds puts it between his fingers and pretends to smoke it, I get annoyed as we don't smoke and my husband quit b4 kids as not to expose or influence them and I don't want other peoples germs in his mouth. I need to buy an ashtray.
    I would be furious. Your guests should pick up their own butts. I would tell them next time no smoking since last time they left their butts I the ground and your DS picked them up .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I rent, my lease specifically says smoking inside is not allowed.
    I dont smoke so it suits me, I'll just say sorry, lease says no smoking inside to everyone lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenBlue View Post
    😮 you would actually ask a smoker to leave because it's lingering on their clothing? I mean, your house and your rules but I find that a bit OTT IMO.
    Well they probably wouldn't be invited in the first place 😊

I have mild asthma and the one thing that causes me to have an attack is smoke or second hand smoke. It appears DS is going the same way.

I'm going to put his health before anything else even if I am considered pedantic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ThenThereWereThree View Post
    I rent, my lease specifically says smoking inside is not allowed.
    I dont smoke so it suits me, I'll just say sorry, lease says no smoking inside to everyone lol
    Smoking inside is a very outdated thing. When I was a young (and stupid) teenager and smoked, and one of my friends (chain)smoked inside I found it a very alien concept. It didn't even cross my mind that some people smoke inside. Everything smelled like cigarette smoke, and even as a smoker I found it disgusting. I'm not sure when, but it became an unspoken rule that you smoke outside after a certain point. Better for everyone really. (:

{{DS ~ 5 months ~ Batman}}
    {{DP ~ 20 years ~ Sammy}}
    {{Furbaby ~ 2 years ~ Bellatrix}}

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
    Well they probably wouldn't be invited in the first place 😊

I have mild asthma and the one thing that causes me to have an attack is smoke or second hand smoke. It appears DS is going the same way.

I'm going to put his health before anything else even if I am considered pedantic.
    Like I said, your house, your rules and your reasons are clearly valid. Your post though made me picture myself asking one of my guests to leave because they had smoked and the smell was now lingering on their clothes. I'm just saying that I personally would feel incredibly rude asking someone to leave for such a thing. I would never allow anyone to smoke in my house and I prefer they go to the side where there is no chance it will waft inside but to be honest, I had never considered in my wildest dreams that having the smell on your clothes would be such a horrid offense that one would be asked to leave. Each to their own but was just a bit of an eye opener for me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like I said, your house, your rules and your reasons are clearly valid. Your post though made me picture myself asking one of my guests to leave because they had smoked and the smell was now lingering on their clothes. I'm just saying that I personally would feel incredibly rude asking someone to leave for such a thing. I would never allow anyone to smoke in my house and I prefer they go to the side where there is no chance it will waft inside but to be honest, I had never considered in my wildest dreams that having the smell on your clothes would be such a horrid offense that one would be asked to leave. Each to their own but was just a bit of an eye opener for me.
    Likewise I can't imagine ever having someone over to my house that smokes so I can't see myself in that situation. My group of friends just don't smoke and I guess we don't have visitors that often. It's an eye opener to me that people may not know if people they have in their house is a smoker or not :-)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Truffle For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (07-11-2014),LaDiDah  (06-11-2014),meredithgreyxxx  (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BatmansMama View Post
    Smoking inside is a very outdated thing. When I was a young (and stupid) teenager and smoked, and one of my friends (chain)smoked inside I found it a very alien concept. It didn't even cross my mind that some people smoke inside. Everything smelled like cigarette smoke, and even as a smoker I found it disgusting. I'm not sure when, but it became an unspoken rule that you smoke outside after a certain point. Better for everyone really. (:

{{DS ~ 5 months ~ Batman}}
    {{DP ~ 20 years ~ Sammy}}
    {{Furbaby ~ 2 years ~ Bellatrix}}
    my mother smokes inside her house, I dont like it as it gets so smokey in there but her house her rules / my house my rules

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had never considered in my wildest dreams that having the smell on your clothes would be such a horrid offense that one would be asked to leave. Each to their own but was just a bit of an eye opener for me.
    I get up and move if a smoker sits next to me at uni in a lecture. The smell makes me feel sick (not asthma, just headache and nausea). I find the the smell of cigarettes on clothes really offensive. It's worse when they've obviously tried to cover the smell up with perfume or deodorant. I'm not deliberately trying to be rude, but if someone had really bad BO, or were farting next to you non stop would you just deal with it, or would you remove yourself from the environment?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (06-11-2014),VicPark  (06-11-2014)