+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Payroll / Accounts etc.. Working from home

Hi,

I'm going to approach a new company about doing their payroll/accounts/some admin from home and just wanted to some advice from others who are in a similar job.

Is it a fantasy to be able to do all of these things in the evening from home or does it work well for you?

How do you make sure you are remunerated for your time? (As I'm sure you might get some things done all throughout the day and not all necessarily in the one block of time)

Did they set you up with a remote connection to their system?

Do you spend a day in the office or do it all from home?

Any other tips on how to make it viable for both employer and employee?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I do this for my husband business. I'm paid a fixed salary but I'm monitoring my time to make sure that I'm not getting under paid.

It's a fairly small business so yes I'm able to do it all from home at night. I work 10-12 hrs a week.

However I make sure I go to the office once a fortnight/month depending on business for meetings with the directors and other stakeholders.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Minkie  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to work 2 days at work and 1 at home. I logged in remotely at home but told work what time I would be in, roughly. All was well until my daughter turned about 2 then it was hard to keep her away from my computer and concentrate. I think it depends on how old your kids are and if they are easily amused by themselves. I couldn't work after they went to bed, just too exhausted from the day by then. I'm not sure what the going rate would be as I negotiated my hourly rate, I used to work there full time so I guess they knew I was reliable so were happy to accommodate. Good luck with it, it's nice if you can get a good work /life balance

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Penelopee For This Useful Post:

Minkie  (13-11-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I do 1 day at the office, and any other work at home ...

- yes its fantasy to think you will do it all in the evening. there are always phone calls, people and stuff that needs to be dealt with during business hours.

- I am casual, so I complete a timesheet every week to ensure that I get paid the hours that I do - though I have been with the group a long time, so it is a lot of trust. I dont charge them for every 5 or 10 minutes if I log on and do things - but if they ask me to come in, its a minimum 2 hrs

its great though. flexible and easy and fits in with me really well

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Minkie  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you don't go to bed early then yes I think you can do it of a night time. But it depends on if that will make you happy as it can eat into your relaxing time and into one on one time with your other half.

I work in the office and remotely. I've been there for a long time now so there is alot of trust. I just record how much time I work on a timesheet for the week. I write down a running total during the week as sometimes I only do 15 minutes and then get pulled away by ds.

I take calls and check/send emails continually also from my phone so I do tend to inflate my remote hours a little to cover that. But again, alot of trust that I'll be honest and I probably rip myself off a little.

As for getting my work done I do struggle. I work when ds has a sleep one day a week but should do more as then towards the end of the month I have to work at night and squeeze it in to finish on time.

It's getting harder and harder to do anything while ds is awake as he wants attention. The only way I can work if he's awake is let him watch tv/play ipad which I hate doing and feel like the worst mother.

Not sure what I'm going to do when he stops day sleeps :-/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

Minkie  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, appreciate your responses. Gives me some things to think about.