+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default What to do about 9 month old trying to crawl in his sleep?

DS is 9 months and the past week has been compulsively rolling onto his tummy and trying to crawl in his sleep, then waking himself up crying. This happens every hour. The only way to keep him fully relaxed and asleep is to lie with him and let him comfort suck, the moment I put him back to bed or slide him over so I can try to fall asleep he rolls onto his tummy and starts rocking, then wakes up and cries and repeat. I'm exhausted and I don't know what to do, he can't help what's happening. He needs to sleep but so do I, he's never been an amazing sleeper but this is just a whole new level .

Does anybody have any advice? I don't think practicing any crying would help right now as he doesn't know how to roll back over so I would be leaving him stuck and I also don't like letting him cry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD did this when she learnt to crawl. If you can't leave him because he's getting upset then put him back but don't make eye contact or engage in any way. DD eventually just started sleeping on her tummy and she tucks her legs up underneath her now with her bum in the air lol - it's a bit bizarre. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    He likes sleeping on his tummy, that's not really the problem, it's that he's pushing himself up and rocking back and forth in his sleep and wakes himself. He doesn't know how to roll back to his back which is another problem, if he did I'd be more likely to leave him. If you roll him back over and just leave, he either cracks it because he's too awake or he rolls back to his tummy within a couple minutes and it starts over. The past few weeks he's been waking a few times a night to be rolled back over when he was tired of sleeping on his tummy but now it's a whole new level.

Eta: it's like he CAN'T sleep.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 05-11-2014 at 19:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he wakes from the rocking can he not lie back to his tummy and go back to sleep? I know the rocking thing is like a precursor to crawling and my DD always chose bedtime to 'practice' her new skills. Meant that every time we would have a week or so of broken sleep while she figured it out and then it went back to normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is he cold? He sounds like he is trying to warm himself up. You could try putting a sleeping bag on him. He would be warmer and it would be trickier to crawl.
    Good luck. X

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Siaye  (09-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you let him sleep on his tummy? At 9 months (and crawling) surely he'd be OK sleeping on his tummy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    He does sleep on his tummy, I'm completely fine with that but when he's tired of sleeping in his tummy he can't roll back to his back so needs help and when he's doing the 'rocking' thing he's waking himself up and tired and upset so laying him on either side doesn't work or it works for a couple minutes and then he rolls back onto his tummy and starts rocking again or just starts rocking again if I've left him on his tummy. The only thing that relaxes him enough to go into a deep sleep is comfort sucking me but when I put him back down he just rolls and rocks again and it all starts over.

Doubt he's cold, his room is 20 and he has pjs and a merino sleeping bag on (it's going into winter here).