I My dd was 3 weeks old yesterday. Apart from the 2 days after birth, she has never gone to sleep by herself. She simply refuses to be put down awake and if I try, she will just get so worked up that it then takes me ages to settle her again. The only way she will go to sleep is on the breast, or sometimes, with a lot of effort, walking around and rocking her, and even this is only useful and works if she has simply had way too much feeding and it is clearly just upsetting her tummy to have more (she will at this stage start to fuss at the breast and pull off and nod her head around and cry etc). Even if I try to get her to the point of nearly being asleep on the boob and then getting her to sleep partially awake, she starts crying the second I remove that boob from her mouth. She will also sometimes take up to 4 or 5 hours in the mornings to get her into a good sleep, and then will sleep for 3 to 4 hours. Before then she might eventually drift off to sleep with lots of breastfeeding and/or rocking, but will wake after about 20-40 minutes and won't resettle without the boob. This can be a continual cycle for hours in the mornings. I wrap her for sleep as she won't sleep unwrapped and she won't take a dummy either. How long will this last and will it ever ease up?
I don't wrap her for the first part of her feed just after she wakes, but I do wrap her when I know she is getting tired and then put her back on the breast to get her to sleep this is my 5th baby and my eldest is now 19 and my youngest 9 so I can't quite remember how they slept. Although I do know she is definitely the fussiest of the lot of them and only my first wouldn't take a dummy, but she had no problems sleeping either. I guess I am worried about the whole 'teaching bad habits' that has been drilled into my head, especially since she seems to be becoming fussier and taking much more effort to get her to sleep and stay asleep the older she gets. Am also wondering if she might have silent reflux. She constantly (especially when sleeping) seems to gag and choke on herself if that makes sense, and obviously finds it hard to take a breath and get her breath in when this happens, and will sometimes cough with it as well. I have her bed elevated and try to keep her upright after feeds, but have noticed she is considerably more unsettled in the early hours of the morning once I bring her into bed with me and she is laying flat again. At these times she will also let out a wailing scream for no reason mid sleep, as though something has really hurt her. Sometimes she will just go straight back to sleep though, but not during the day. She also has an abundance of dirty nappies, although not green or frothy, and you can hear her little tummy making huge noises most of the time. I feel as though I am doing her haem and making it worse for her with constantly feeding, but it honestly is the only thing that will calm her sometimes, even if it is just for a short time

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app