+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Constipated 2 year old - Enema didn't work

Has anyone had any experience with an enema not working?

So my 2 yr old had constipation a few times as a baby, then a few weeks ago, ended up so constipated that we went through parachoc, lactaluse, 3 suppositories and a hospital visit before she managed to clear it all out. Once it was out we gave her lactaluse for a few days and everything went back to normal. Fast forward and now she hasn't been since Thursday, weve given her lactaluse and a suppository. Took her to the hospital where they decided to do an enema, with no result, ended up sending her home where she managed to get out a little chunk. That was last night, took her to the GP this morning and he's said movicol and lactaluse twice a day, up the movicol to 3 times if she manages to get anything out. He believes that she should go within the next couple days...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh gosh what a terrible time you guys are having! So sorry to hear this, it's stressful for everyone involved. I've used enemas on my dd in a handful of really extreme cases and it's always cleared within 5-10mins 😕 -not help sorry!!
    Maybe seek a second opinion from another professional if you have no luck with the next round of meds. My DD issues ended up being dairy related ....

Me31
    Dh32 low morphology
    Dd2💖
    TTC 18mths
    👼 feb14
    Starting IVF 2015

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    oh wow. poor little darling. my dd was terrible too. in the end only Osmolax daily worked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How much lactulose are you giving?
    Suppositories don't always help if there is a blockage further up the bowel. .. It clears the lower end iykwim.
    My daughter is chronically constipated. Due to her syndrome. She was having lactulose daily but I'm trying to change it to osmolax. They all work differently. Also a gentle massage under the belly button in a clockwise direction on the right side a bit. You should be able to feel to if there is any firm bits there.
    My daughter is 2 in a few weeks.
    It's not nice. Is she uncomfortable? Does she drink enough water? Some foods also block you up like bananas and cheese. And some kids don't tolerate too much dairy. It can cause constipation.
    Will you get any fruit puree in maybe? Or a juice with pears and stuff? That will help on top of using the laxatives.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's currently on 10mls a day. She hasn't really changed her diet at all, everything's the same. The only thing we think they may have caused it could be predmix that she'd been on for asthma. She drinks a fair bit, eats heaps, we're massaging her, warm baths and even nurofen at times to try to stop it hurting. She still hasn't been today, trying really hard though. Hoping to see some action tomorrow otherwise I think I might call the paed for a second opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    get them to check for intolorances. my dd wasn't lactose intolorent but what is called lactose ''sensative''.. had to have her on a soy diet and I saw improvement with using Osmolax daily too. I'd tried the works just like you, it was horrible... I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

myliltiger1  (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    get them to check for intolorances. my dd wasn't lactose intolorent but what is called lactose ''sensative''.. had to have her on a soy diet and I saw improvement with using Osmolax daily too. I'd tried the works just like you, it was horrible... I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    Definitely. I'd be asking for a referral to a pediatrician and possibly a gastrointestinal Dr. Keep a record of diet. I know it sounds tedious. But yeah. .. intolerance could be causing it. One of my dd's pediatric gastrointestinal Dr's thinks her constipation is cows milk protein intolerance. But dairy is one of the only food groups she eats so we're a bit stuck right now. But I think it's worth investigating for you maybe.
    You could swap to almond milk etc and see if it makes any difference. ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a stressful situation. I hope it all clears itself very soon and you can all relax. Your poor dd trying to get it out I feel for her x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with the girls check for intolerances. My nearly 2yr old was chronically constipated since 8mths old. No gp would listen as it wasnt diarhhea. Actilax made his wind worse. Finally took him to a paed at 11mths old who said cows milk protein (full dairy) intolerance and said to try eliminating dairy and manage with osmolax. Also said it was crucial around the age of 2 not to let them get constipated as they can become scared to poo which will affect toilet training

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Definitely. I'd be asking for a referral to a pediatrician and possibly a gastrointestinal Dr. Keep a record of diet. I know it sounds tedious. But yeah. .. intolerance could be causing it. One of my dd's pediatric gastrointestinal Dr's thinks her constipation is cows milk protein intolerance. But dairy is one of the only food groups she eats so we're a bit stuck right now. But I think it's worth investigating for you maybe.
    You could swap to almond milk etc and see if it makes any difference. ??

Agreed,after a lot of trail and error it was the switch to goats milk with my daughter that finally cleared her constipation. Defiantly worth looking into .....