+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Worried about development of nearly 5 m/o

My DS is nearly 5 months old and I notice he seems to be behind what my nephew and niece were at his age.

He is growing well, on track weight gain, sleeps through the night every night (even in his own room in a cot), has a 150ml bottle every 3 hours like clockwork (apart from through the night) plenty of floor time, and a perfectly happy little man.

In the same breath though, He won't let me do too much tummy time, he hates it. He supports his own head but doesn't even look close to sitting on his own. However, he started rolling on Friday (Halloween), and everyone I know has told me they sit before they roll.

Am I just overreacting? Does he sound like he is on track? FTM and I would be comforted if I'm panicking over nothing ):

Any advice or personal experiences would be appreciated! TIA!

{{DS ~ 5 months ~ Batman}}
    {{Furbaby ~ 2 years ~ Bellatrix}}

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds fine to me. With tummy time try laying on the floor with him, playing with toys to distract him and also having him laying on his tummy on you is also a good way to get them used to tummy time. And just so you know my 2 children both rolled before they sat so I don't think that's an issue at all. Every child is different but if you're still concerned maybe speak to your maternal child health nurse or gp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm pretty sure both my boys rolled before sitting (it's been a while so my memory is patchy!) so I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Tummy time, ds1 was not a fan. He hated it, but had really good neck and head control. Ds2 thought it was fantastic, also had really good head and neck control.

Each child is different. Your bub knows which way he rolls

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My almost 7 month old is rolling & crawling but only just started sitting without help last few days, and not for long!
    My bubba also hated tummy time! But once she started rolling regularly she was fine with it & now even sleeps on her tummy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have never heard that they sit before they roll..... mine didnt.
    Dd was a month ahead with all her mile stones but ds is a laid back little dude (6 mo)
    I wouldnt be too concerned my ds is only now just starting to sit on his own he will roll back to tummy but rarely tummy to back. Having my two kids I have learnt you can not compare one to the other (although I know it's hard!!!)

Also ds hated tummy time until he was 5/6 months

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like he's right on track!

My daughter "sat" at 6 months (I say "sat" because I don't really consider it sitting until they get there by themselves), and rolled much earlier than that.

It's also very normal for bubs to dislike tummy time. It's really not essential for them to lie face down flat on the floor... it's just about giving them lots of opportunities to learn how to move themselves around. Laying on you, on an inclined pillow, over your lap, on the edge of the bed with you crouching at his level...any of that gives the same opportunities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nearly 4 month old is rolling and she is nowhere near the sitting stage. Maybe get an osteopath to check his neck? My DS had lots problems with turning his head and hated tummy time. Turns out his neck was out and it caused him pain

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 9 month old only just started sitting up on his own last week and rolling on his tummy about a month ago, still hasn't figured out how to roll back! Every baby is different and develops at their own pace, try not to compare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Yep. My DS in 7 months today. He has only rolled back to tummy once just over a week ago and started sitting on his own a couple of days ago. He has good days and bad for enjoying tummy time. I dont think you have anything to worry about, they are all individuals. It's not really wise to compare your child to other around you, they all have different interests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids both rolled before they sat.
    Also didn't enjoy tummy time. They are 3 and 5 now and doing great.

Your ds sounds fine