+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm pregnant with bub number 4, 3 vaginal births so far, no incontinence ever here! I had stitches with bub no 1, no pain urinating over them. I had a minor graze with baby 3, stung like buggery for about a week when peeing.. Must have just been in the wrong spot! 😳

Incontinence from pregnancy is due to poor pelvic floor muscles, ligaments and muscles stretch whether you have c/s or vaginal birth, they stretch during pregnancy and from carrying a heavy baby, not due to mode of delivery!

Do pelvic floor exercises either way

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

francesca1  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a c section for a breechy.
    My recovery was much better than I expected.
    I've had no change in bladder/bowel habits.
    The only thing to note was some mild constipation from the pain killers post op in hospital but nothing a mild laxative couldn't fix.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

francesca1  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had two emergency CS births. With both I went into spontanous labour but never dilated, so never did any pushing etc to cause any strain down there.

There are a few details about having a CS that I thought I would share, not to cause you more anxiety, just to suggest you may need to work through your feelings about these things before the birth.

In preparation, they will insert a catheter. With a planned CS, this is done after your spinal/epi is in. Being emergencies, both of mine were done before the spinal just with some numbing cream but I could feel it. It will stay in until you can get up to go to the toilet (eg. the next morning). The first time it hurt when they removed it, there was some blood and it left me with a cystitis-feeling irritation for a few days. My 2nd I had no issues, came out painlessly etc.

Secondly, as they were stiching me up with my 1st it felt like I had done a bowel movement. I told them this and they responded that it is normal to feel like that, it's just the anaesthetic. I think I had, because they seemed to clean me up (that could have just been cleaning up the lochia), but they didn't say.

Finally, the midwives will be VERY interested in your bowel habits afterwards. They need to know that you are passing wind and they generally do a happy dance when you have your first bowel movement afterwards. Constipation is an issue due to your movement being restricted.

As for my pelvic floor. My 1st I was back at yoga after 10 weeks and didn't have much noticeable issues. After my 2nd I haven't been doing enough exercise and need to cross my legs when I sneeze with a full bladder.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

francesca1  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I have had two emergency CS births. With both I went into spontanous labour but never dilated, so never did any pushing etc to cause any strain down there.

There are a few details about having a CS that I thought I would share, not to cause you more anxiety, just to suggest you may need to work through your feelings about these things before the birth.

In preparation, they will insert a catheter. With a planned CS, this is done after your spinal/epi is in. Being emergencies, both of mine were done before the spinal just with some numbing cream but I could feel it. It will stay in until you can get up to go to the toilet (eg. the next morning). The first time it hurt when they removed it, there was some blood and it left me with a cystitis-feeling irritation for a few days. My 2nd I had no issues, came out painlessly etc.

Secondly, as they were stiching me up with my 1st it felt like I had done a bowel movement. I told them this and they responded that it is normal to feel like that, it's just the anaesthetic. I think I had, because they seemed to clean me up (that could have just been cleaning up the lochia), but they didn't say.

Finally, the midwives will be VERY interested in your bowel habits afterwards. They need to know that you are passing wind and they generally do a happy dance when you have your first bowel movement afterwards. Constipation is an issue due to your movement being restricted.

As for my pelvic floor. My 1st I was back at yoga after 10 weeks and didn't have much noticeable issues. After my 2nd I haven't been doing enough exercise and need to cross my legs when I sneeze with a full bladder.
    Thank you for this!
    Those were certainly things I hadn't been told/considered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had two vaginal births with no tears or stitches and no issues to bladder or bowel. I did have two water births which I believe definitely helped to support my perineum and prevent tearing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

francesca1  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I just wanted to add that breastfeeding can cause constipation. This was something I wasn't aware of so if you choose to and can breastfeed make sure you drink lots of water.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PoppyLoppy For This Useful Post:

francesca1  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppyLoppy View Post
    Hi
    I just wanted to add that breastfeeding can cause constipation. This was something I wasn't aware of so if you choose to and can breastfeed make sure you drink lots of water.

I've been bf for two years, never heard of this! Interesting. Surely would only occur if you weren't adequately hydrated?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had two vaginal births, no continence problems either time before, during or after the birth. No stitches. Grazing was a bit painful for a day or two.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

francesca1  (04-11-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    When I had my eldest child (DS) I ended up with a 3rd degree tear (vacuum delivery) but it healed perfectly and I have no complications from it. I was provided phyiso as such an injury can lead to bowel incontinence so I had to do 'bottom exercises' like pelvic floor exercises but for your bottom. I had excellent pelvic floor control prior to the pregnancy and although was a keen gym goer never did anything that would stress the pelvic floor area (eg running).

With my second baby (DD), although she was a smaller baby I suffered with mild bladder incontinence towards teh end of the pregnancy. I remember being undressed in the bathroom ready for a shower, sneezing and feeling a drop of war, liquid run down my leg. My DH thought it was hilarious. I used panty liners in case of accidents but after the birth, despite having a 2nd degree tear that time, again I have healed perfectly.

Remember to do your pelvic floor exercises!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

francesca1  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had terrible wind pains and constipation, my ob said it was from breastfeeding as it dehydrates you. So yes, at least 2 litres of water per day