+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Getting bub to take a bottle

I need to start giving DS a bit of an EBM boost to try to get his weight up a bit. I'm just going to offer 30-40ml once a day after a feed to start with and see how it goes. The problem is, he doesn't want the bottle! I've heard BF babies sometimes won't take a bottle from mum but will take it from dad. Is that really true? DH tried yesterday and DS still refused. Do I need to be out of the room entirely and does that really work?

We've tried offering after a feed and also tried giving him a full feed which was a total disaster. I have a dinner coming up at the end of the month and he'll need to take a bottle of EBM while I'm gone.

Totally kicking myself for not giving him an occasional EBM feed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had the introducing bottle issue for all my kids, it's so hard but most bf babies need it to be offered many many times over before they will even try to suck or work out how to suck from a bottle. My first was ok as I'd express everyday as I had the time so he took an EBM everyday from 1-8 months but was iffy the first couple weeks. He took an avant. My others were much harder took over a month I think as I tried when they were much older. They wouldn't take it from me as well as they would from my MIL or DH to begin with. I think just to get baby to accept bottle it's good to try when they are a little hungry but not super hungry as they will get distraught in a second and it will be useless. My others liked the MAM bottles the teat feels like a nipple and they'd gag with the avant teat but babies prefer different things. I originally bout it from bigw and target but couldn't find it anymore so had to get it from a chemist on ebay.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy5ormore For This Useful Post:

Cue  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tried everything to get my DS to take a bottle. I tried slipping the bottle into his mouth while he was on the boob, I tried warm EBM, cold EBM, fresh EBM, defrosted EBM, I tried formula, i tried feeding when he was tired, I tried feeding when he was wide awake, I tried feeding him sitting in the bouncer facing me, facing away from me, I tried very single bottle shape and teat size/flow under the sun, and the only thing that he would accept was the MAM brand bottles from Big W. Not sure why they worked over other bottles but they did! Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    I tried everything to get my DS to take a bottle. I tried slipping the bottle into his mouth while he was on the boob, I tried warm EBM, cold EBM, fresh EBM, defrosted EBM, I tried formula, i tried feeding when he was tired, I tried feeding when he was wide awake, I tried feeding him sitting in the bouncer facing me, facing away from me, I tried very single bottle shape and teat size/flow under the sun, and the only thing that he would accept was the MAM brand bottles from Big W. Not sure why they worked over other bottles but they did! Good luck.
    Yikes, that's a lot of trial and error!! I'll see how we go with the pigeon ones we have now and will try other brands if we have no luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    Lol Yes thankyou MAM

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy5ormore For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Yikes, that's a lot of trial and error!! I'll see how we go with the pigeon ones we have now and will try other brands if we have no luck.
    Oh it was so frustrating I tried for 4 months to get him to take a bottle, and finally when he was 7 months and I found the MAM bottles he started taking EBM from a bottle. He was such a booby boy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't kick yourself for not giving him a bottle earlier. If you had started earlier you might have been kicking yourself for starting too early.

Babies are pretty clever, they can smell mum quite a long way away so you might need to go completely out of the room. Perhaps into the bathroom to relax in the tub :P I'd also try warming up the bottle teat in warm water before feeding because sometimes the cold plastic feeling doesn't go down too well. Different bottles might work. Or try at a different time. Some bubs are more unsettled at night so in that case it might be better to try in the morning. Or try feeding him from the boob for a bit first so he's not starving, then switch to the bottle.

Most babies will get there eventually but if all else fails, can he just go to dinner with you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd took to a bottle at 8 month after being exclusively bf straight away, no dramas at all. I used pigeon bottles.
    When ds came along I expected the same but no, he refused. I tried so many different things as well and it didn't matter who tried to feed him. After a few weeks I ended up giving it a break then trying again a few weeks later and he finally drank it! I did find that he preferred narrow neck bottles rather than wide. Keep persevering

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cue i think my ds is around the same age as yours & I cant get him to take a bottle either. Please post back & let us know hos you go with the pigeon bottles as im yet to try them yet.

Im wondering if my ds would drink from a sippy cup himself if we gave it to him, so im going to try that at some stage. Not sure if thats an option for you to try

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app