+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 18 day old baby exposed to chicken pox

Hi all. My first post on this site, hoping some of you may be able to provide me some information and advice and ease my mind.

We found out last Thursday that my 16 year old dd2 has chickenpox. We had no idea, thought it was a fungal skin infection. 2 days prior to this, obviously still while my older daughter was infectious, she had held my now 18 day old dd3 and prior to that had also not been isolated from her or any of her other siblings (aged 19,14 and 9). I had chickenpox when I was a child so not worried at all that I may have contracted it to pass on to dd3, and pretty certain my 9 year old ds2 has been immunised (although I know they can still contract it in a milder form even if they have been immunised). My ds2 has had a lot of contact with dd3 in the last 3 weeks also.

I know that my dd2 would likely have been infectious for approximately the last 3 or so weeks, and that it can take anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks for symptoms to appear if anyone else were to be infected. This worries me, as I have read that chickenpox in newborns can be quite serious and also the fact that if she did contract it and developed a fever, that she is too young for me to be able to administer paracetamol etc.

Should I be taking her to our gp, seeing if she needs anything done or just wait it out and see if she develops any symptoms over the next 3 weeks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would call Health Direct at any tiny sign of any symptom at all and run it by them to see if she's developing it (or now if it'll help ease your mind at all or let you know what to look out for).. but otherwise I don't think here's really nothing you can do at this stage.

I'd avoid taking her to the GP if there aren't any current symptoms, GPs are full of sick people!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

jellybean1974  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Take her to the GP. I know that adults can have a booster within 3 days of exposure to cp, not sure about infants, but it's worth getting some medical advice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

jellybean1974  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your baby will still have your immunity in the first three months after birth and some protective antibodies from breast milk. A doctor told me this. Keep an eye on bub but don't be too stressed out. Good luck.