Closed Thread
Page 69 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    KMP, fantastic photos, I'm definitely going there now.
    All I've had from people at work and South Africans are really scary stories and scenarios of what happens to tourists over there. It has scared the bejesus out of me the last couple of days but I just want to thank all you ladies for your beautiful stories and visions of SA, it has given me some peace of mind that everything will be fine. Thanks so much

Emski, i love a women with a plan, you go girl.

Luca and Mardicharli, glad to hear all is going well.

Kay, I'm so glad your chat went well. Men are so odd, underneath it all if they open their mouths and let you know how they feel, they're not really a world apart as they want us to think. Now go and lock it all in

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Sagi For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (12-01-2015),mardicharli  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Egg Donation in South Africa #7

Thanks to many of you for hints and tips like airbnb and uber.

KMP - I am in awe that you manage those needles in the butt by yourself - I'm really not sure I could and my goodness if I injected myself with the drawing up needle you all would have heard me back home in Oz lol. Enjoy Bali and hope your 2ww goes quickly and successfully. Thanks for sharing you amazing pics as well.

Myheart - hope you're going along ok and not going to nuts while waiting for your scan.

Annabelle1 - you must be getting excited now, hope your plans are coming together.

Kay - so glad you got DH on board. I truly believe he won't regret it. It's an amazing place.

Hope4all - if you're reading along are you doing nk tests soon?

AFM - I'm getting a plan together. It looks like I will have a BT on about 19/2 to check I've ovulated and a possible hysteroscopy to check for nk cells around 26/2. Results apparently take about 7 - 10 days to come back.
    I need to get an answer now on if I can have a scan somewhere in capetown to check my lining since my clinic is in Joburg. We'd like to go to capetown prior to transfer if possible.

Take care all.
    Last edited by Hoping4best; 12-01-2015 at 21:14.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoping4best For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (12-01-2015),Miss Sagi  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    KMP: Congrats on being PUPO. Sounds like you've had a wonderful trip to CT. Great pics, too.

Kay2015: Welcome to the thread and congrats on convincing your partner that South Africa is the way to go for you. It's such an amazing place and I highly recommend combining the ED side with a great holiday.

KLM: I also saw Sarah Hewland and I can highly recommend her. I ended up going four times, the first time was a few days before transfer, the second was the morning before our day three transfer that ended up being pushed back to day five at the last minute, then the morning of the actual transfer and two days later. If you tell her what time you're due at CFC, she'll make sure she makes her appointments with enough time for you to get there. We also drove but it's not too far from CFC, I reckon it'll be a 20 to 25 minute walk (although I would probably use Uber for peace of mind). I found the sessions really relaxing (and hopefully they played their part in bringing on a positive result too!)

Crabby: Welcome as well! We used Skyskanner to find the best fare, from memory I think we paid about $1600 each. We flew from Melbourne to Perth (operated by Virgin) and then Perth to Joburg and on to CT with South African Airways. I liked it because it had the least flying time (the Qantas flight from Sydney is a similar length although was a bit more expensive when we booked our flights) but there is a four hour stopover in Perth.

Lisa and Kay: I also found searching for a donor really stressful but in the end I decided that the donor's health and family history were more important than physical requirements. We also had a particular time that we needed to go so that narrowed it down quite a bit. We used Sunshine and they were great, although I didn't have a bad experience dealing with any of them initially. As others have said, the donor dictates which agency you use, in the end.

Blinky, KLM and all the other February ladies: I'm so excited that you're about to embark on your trips...best wishes and baby dust to you all.

Luca, Tittle, CAmom and MardiCharli: Glad to hear you're all travelling well. Those weeks seem to be flying by.

Williteverhappen, Laned and Hope4all (aka my November crew): Think of you all often, hope 2015 is a good year for you.

And a big hello to everyone else!

AFM: I'm now 11 w 3 days and still taking it day by day. Had my ten week scan and the bloods done for the NIPT test last week, now hanging out for the results and my next scan at 13 weeks. Finally stopped all the meds on Saturday which was a relief but was then floored with a huge migraine on Sunday (which of course, I couldn't take my super strong migraine pills for, which meant I just had to ride it out). I consulted Dr Google and apparently changes in estrogen levels can trigger a migraine so I guess stopping the Progynova might be the cause of that. Like MardiCharli, I could sleep all day which reminds me, it must be time for bed...
    Last edited by Patsy73; 12-01-2015 at 21:07.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Patsy73 For This Useful Post:

Blinky76  (13-01-2015),crabby  (12-01-2015),faith15  (13-01-2015),Kay2015  (12-01-2015),KLM0511  (12-01-2015),Lisaxxx  (14-01-2015),mardicharli  (12-01-2015),Miss Sagi  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all
    I need a little perspective from the rest of you on my preferred donor. Sorry for all the questions but I'm in the obsessive research phase - I'm trying to figure everything out!!

So here is my situation: I have found a donor that I think is WONDERFUL. She is available May, has a child of her own, is young, looks broadly like me in all the ways I deem important, perfect family medical history and somehow I just have a good gut feeling about her.

But before I confirm her, I wanted your perspective on intelligence. It's pretty much impossible to tell from a donor's profile, and I think I'm being totally anal (and a little bit mean?) because her interests are things like dancing & fashion - which are fine of course but .... somehow I'm wishing that her favorite book was Dostoyevsky and her profession was brain surgeon! For all I know she's super intelligent because I have fashionable/dancing friends who are.

I feel like a bad person even bringing this up. I really WANT to confirm her as my donor, but I'm dithering on this one point. I have reviewed probably 100 other profiles and none seem to be as good of a fit as she is.

Did you ladies take into account personality, perceived intelligence etc. or were your decisions based on physical characteristics/medical history/availability?

Any helpful views? Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kay, we started with loads of criteria that we thought was essential and before long it becomes obvious what is truly important. For us that was family medical history and having somewhat similar physical characteristics to me.

Please go ahead if she ticks all the boxes for you. I'm a strong believer in gut feel and there's only so much that someone gets from their genes.

For what it's worth, I'm interested in fashion and dancing, and I'm also a mathematician :-). I think you'd be hard pressed to find many girls who weren't slightly into either of these things :-)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

Blinky76  (13-01-2015),Kay2015  (12-01-2015),mardicharli  (12-01-2015),Miss Sagi  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kay, I did look at their professions and like you, wanted a brainiac who was also coordinated and athletic. Realistically, I don't think their job title tells you entirely what they are like, you could have the highest IQ and 10 Uni degrees, but it doesn't tell you about their personality (interests only give you a glimpse), characteristics and common logic, which at the end of the day I probably rate more importantly, because those traits will get you further in life. If you feel you've found the one, go for it and move quickly as I found whenever I enquired about a donor they were already taken.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Sagi For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (12-01-2015),mardicharli  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsErinR View Post
    Kay, we started with loads of criteria that we thought was essential and before long it becomes obvious what is truly important. For us that was family medical history and having somewhat similar physical characteristics to me.

Please go ahead if she ticks all the boxes for you. I'm a strong believer in gut feel and there's only so much that someone gets from their genes.

For what it's worth, I'm interested in fashion and dancing, and I'm also a mathematician :-). I think you'd be hard pressed to find many girls who weren't slightly into either of these things :-)
    Not long to go now MrsErin, how exciting. I hope you've got everything organised and are just sitting back relaxing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you two made me laugh!
    • MrsErin - good to hear that it's possible to be both a fashionista and a mathematician!
    • Miss Sagi - yes, we want them to be brainiacs, athletic, beautiful etc. etc. etc. - even more perfect than we are!
    But overall I hear your message. I think I should confirm her and get everything locked in.

She is VERY young and I don't remember what I was interested in at that age, but it certainly wasn't Dostoyevsky or brain surgery

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay2015 For This Useful Post:

mardicharli  (12-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much Patsy for the info on Sarah, I emailed her tonight so will see when she can fit me in. I'm only there for a couple of days so will prob only get to see her once or twice.

Kay, I am so pleased your husband has been convinced about SA. Now you can definitely start the choice of donor. I agree with the others, if the one you were talking about ticks most of the boxes then email the agency and reserve her. They get booked quickly. If her family medical history is good and the match is good then that's the main thing I think. Good luck.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KLM0511 For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (12-01-2015),mardicharli  (12-01-2015),Patsy73  (13-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mardi – What great news about your little one’s heartbeat . Truly elated for you and DH. I am sure you’re going to be in pins and needles waiting for that 12 week scan.

KMP – Thanks for sharing your great pics. Now I can’t wait to get there and enjoy the beautiful CT scenery. Now you’re off to Bali… what a great experience.

Kay – Happy for you that DH is on board with SA. Now the excitement begins .. When I chose our donor (DH left it to me to do a shortlist), I had a whole checklist that I wanted my donor to meet, and I must admit that I was looking for someone who has some sort of degree. After a while, I realised I was being unrealistic because no one could meet them all. In the end, I focused on what I thought was important, which for me was 1. Their age, health and fertility (needed someone who had a baby) 2. Family medical history had to be good 3. Likeable physical characteristics. Good luck with your decision.

My Feb Cycle Buddies - I am thinking of you guys and am sure you're going crazy with your last minute arrangements etc. I am truly wishing you all the very best. I hope we are all blessed because we are going a long way to have our dreams become reality and God bless.

AFM – Today was my last day on the pill and I can’t wait to get to the next phase.
    I have a question please. When taking the Estropause tablets, do we take them on an empty stomach, just before food or after food? Probably a silly question .

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to faith15 For This Useful Post:

Blinky76  (13-01-2015),Kay2015  (13-01-2015),KLM0511  (13-01-2015),mardicharli  (13-01-2015)