Closed Thread
Page 63 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Kay the agencies only accept 35-40% of applicants so they have vetted them in part already. Psycholigical assessment is done each cycle and I discovered issues at this stage with my firdt donor.

For me I wanted blue eyes (easy here) and I asked which donors were available in my time frame. I then narrowed from there. It was effortless.

AFM right now I am having a cocktail or two and downing a pizza at my new fave col cocchio in Cavendish. 9 hour private photography trip today. Tomorrow is my transfer 😁

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KMP For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    KMP

OK that's helpful - I hadn't even thought about timeframe as being a limiting factor (which of course it is, I just haven't thought everything through... ).

Transfer tomorrow!!!! Oh how wonderful for you. I really don't know how I will make it to May. Enjoy the cocktails and the pizza and the photography trip .

Kay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay2015 View Post
    Blinky76

Yes, that's a good suggestion. I will ask them to send recommendations and go from there - I've spent the entire day surfing donor profiles!

That's very exciting that you are going back in 2 weeks. We are aiming for May (if I can wait that long!).

Do the agencies meet the donors before the donors post their profiles? In other words, are the agencies making recommendations on the basis of having met the individuals, or on the basis of their online profiles (which is the same information I can see). I'm trying to determine if they have MORE information than we can see online.

Thanks
    Kay
    Kay - as far as I know,there are at least some of the agencies, that have more information than just what is on their online profile. When dwindling our preference list down we had about 6 profiles and I do remember asking for more info and being able to get it. (Particularly the online profiles that don't show detailed medical history)
    The clinic (CFC) can also be helpful once you have narrowed down your search to a few as they can tell you what their donation history has been like if they have previously donated through them. We did this and it ended up being extremely helpful as not all information on the profile is regularly updated.
    eg. We found out from the clinic that our donor had had very successful previous donations yet her profile listed her as unproven.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

I am having trouble with finding a donor process. I've been on holidays a week and spent all week and found a few that I really liked but late last night I realised that they would need to be the same blood type as me because for us we don't want to tell the child that they are not biologically mine so it would be best that they are the same blood type and the ones I really liked are not the same blood type. I feel like I can't start again

I had all the agencies send to me the ones that were of a similar resemblance to me already and the few that I found that I really liked were out of that lot and are not the same blood type.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisaxxx View Post
    Hi Ladies,

I am having trouble with finding a donor process. I've been on holidays a week and spent all week and found a few that I really liked but late last night I realised that they would need to be the same blood type as me because for us we don't want to tell the child that they are not biologically mine so it would be best that they are the same blood type and the ones I really liked are not the same blood type. I feel like I can't start again

I had all the agencies send to me the ones that were of a similar resemblance to me already and the few that I found that I really liked were out of that lot and are not the same blood type.
    Oh no! You're going to have to start again in the case. I'd just email all the agencies and ask for a list of donors who fall within the blood group you need and take it from there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Lisaxxx  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies - Lisa and Kay particularly. I can only talk about my experience finding a donor and I think it's different for everyone. I spent quite a long time looking - it was probably over the course of months as I was looking before we had fully decided to go. I began with a set idea that I wanted someone who had similar physical characteristics to me - by the end of it that really went out the window. Things I looked for included availability, bmi (a couple I found had a higher bmi and it can impact results), health of donor and family health history, age - we tried to stay 25 and under, proven donor - preferably they had children of their own. Anything over and above that became a bonus I.e. If they had my eye colour etc. Lisa - your blood type requirement may further restrict your field and you might need to compromise on the physical characteristics? But you never know your luck. In the end I didn't worry too much - looking at some of the baby's of my friends there is just no guarantee they look like their parents anyway. I have a friend with really dark brown hair and dark dark eyes and her baby looks completely like the father - blonde, blue eyes and fair - I'd have never believed it was possible. Good luck with your searching.

KMP - all the best for today. :-)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoping4best For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (11-01-2015),Lisaxxx  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lisa - remember it's not just your blood type the baby might have, it could be your partners or a combination of both. Google blood types and see that two parents can in fact end up with children of many different blood types. They don't usually end up with just the same blood type as the Mum.
    For example, my Mum is type 0, my Dad is type AB and I'm type A+!
    It should give you a few more blood types to play with then. Maybe O or the same type as your partners?
    Hope it helps! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Mardicharli,
    I didn't know that. I am O+ but my partner is not sure what he is and his mother thinks he may be O+ as well so I thought I would have to have a donor with O+ as well. A few of the donors that I liked are O-.

Quote Originally Posted by mardicharli View Post
    Lisa - remember it's not just your blood type the baby might have, it could be your partners or a combination of both. Google blood types and see that two parents can in fact end up with children of many different blood types. They don't usually end up with just the same blood type as the Mum.
    For example, my Mum is type 0, my Dad is type AB and I'm type A+!
    It should give you a few more blood types to play with then. Maybe O or the same type as your partners?
    Hope it helps! Xx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisaxxx For This Useful Post:

mardicharli  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Egg Donation in South Africa #7

Lisa - to add to Mardicharli's advice. Blood types is something I took a particular interest in after I found out that I am Rh negative (A-)
    Both my parents are A+,
    and we believe my 4 brothers (including a twin brother) are all A+ yet I am A-.. It's certainly a funny science!

An 'easy' way to explain it is as follows:
    Each Blood type has a dominant and a recessive version. Which would be represented as:

Aa, AA, = both result in A+
    aa = A -
    Bb,BB, = both result in B+
    bb = B -
    Oo,OO = both result in B -
    oo = O -
    AB, Ab = AB +
    ab = AB -
    (capitals = dominant)

When a couple create an embryo each contributed half of the new embryos blood type.

So in my parents case
    Both must be the Aa type of A+
    Which can result in the following combinations:
    AA, Aa, aA, aa (75% chance of A+, 25% chance of A-)
    - so yes children don't always match parents blood types

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

Lisaxxx  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Egg Donation in South Africa #7

Thanks Blinky
    It certainly has been confusing to me as to what to do when it comes to blood types. Maybe I shouldn't factor it in.