Closed Thread
Page 62 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newbie research DE in South Africa

Hi all

I have been lurking on your thread for a few days (and I even read all the historical threads - 6 or 7 of them!!). I love the "roll call" and am so thrilled to see all the successful pregnancies - I don't know any of you but it still makes me fill with tears of joy because I SOOOO understand.

I am 43 years old, living in Switzerland, with a son who just turned 4 - we were amazed to conceive naturally when I was nearly 39. But after years of trying for a sibling followed by an unsuccessful IVF attempt I realize that at my age DE is the way to go. Ideally we want to do it in May.

I like S.A. because you can see pictures and have more insight into your donor, although my husband is more keen on Czech from a personal safety perspective (but in Europe you get no real info on your donor other than eye/hair color, height etc.). So I have some convincing to do with him as I feel much more comfortable seeing donor pictures.

Are we allowed to discuss names of agencies and clinics on this thread? I ask because I would be grateful for some recommendations on donor agencies. I was looking at Gift Ov Life, but wondered if there were others that you ladies speak highly of?

Thanks in advance for welcoming me to your thread! I used to live in Australia (2 years Melbourne, 3 years Sydney) so feel like Australia was once my adopted home .

Kay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Welcome Kay!

Wow, it must have taken you ages to go back through all the threads!
    Best way to do it though. I did this when i first joined and took notes and copied info as I went along so I could just refer to that later one. It was so incredibly helpful to me.

I used EDSA and they were very good in my experience.

You can put your DH's mind at ease on the personal safety front. When my fiancé and I were both there in July last year - we had that on our minds as well, as many people (that haven't been there before) will tell you, oh, its not safe in Sth Africa. Well we felt perfectly safe! We stayed in Green Point and walked around (in the day) freely with no issues. We hired a car and had no problem whatsoever.
    It may have been unsafe a long time ago, but they have really cleaned up the crime in Cape Town as far as I could see.

It would be no different to Sydney or Melbourne. Unless you plan on walking down a dark alley at night , which you wouldn't be doing in any country, then I think you are quite safe.

I went back on my own in Sept too and felt very safe.

Hope that helps

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KLM0511 For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Hi Kay, welcome to the thread! Biggest tip... You'll go with the agency who has the donor you want. The actual agencies are much of a muchness, it's the donor who will make your mind up in the end. Use an agency that cfc has on their recommended list and look through all the agency's donors.

Em x

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (11-01-2015),mardicharli  (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kay. Welcome to the thread. For us we just looked at all of the agencies to find a donor we were happy with. I made a decision to stick with the larger cities of johannesburg or Cape Town and if donors didn't live there than we were willing to pay additional expenses for them to travel there (wasn't necessary in the end and I know some people aren't comfortable paying additional expenses). Our donor search took us to Johannesburg. It Would be a confronting place for some but I loved it - it's so diverse and interesting and if you are sensible I.e. Don't go strolling around streets that you shouldn't, it was fine. Cape Town is absolutely ok. We used baby2mom and medfem and I have no complaints with either - in fact I've only got good things to say. Good luck with it all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoping4best For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kay2015, I went with GiftOvLife and they were great, but I would recommend that you look at all the SASREG agencies and go with whichever one has the donor that is right for you. There's no need to restrict your searching to one agency.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kay and welcome!

I'm here alone right now. Cape Town is amazingly beautiful. I went with AbabySA anx they have been a perfect fit with donor for me.

Best wishes for your search. This forum is very valuable as a support.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KMP For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kay

Welcome, I'm sure you'll find this site invaluable.

i was convinced I would find our donor through Gift ov Life, but stumbled across the perfect donor through Sunshine. They have been amazing so far, and heading to Cape Town in a fortnight. At the end of the day the fit of the donor was our priority.

all the best

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkshootingstar For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow - I can't believe SIX of you have replied in such a short time! You have an amazing community of this thread.

So what I learned from you is that you have all had good experiences with your respective egg donation agencies, but that the choice of agency is really made when you find the ideal donor. I have registered with all the SASREG agencies and am looking at donors now. I must say that I feel totally overwhelmed.... maybe I'm not clear on what's important to me or something ... because one minute blue eyes are critical (DH, DS and I all have blue eyes), and the next minute I see a lovely donor that I just adore who has brown eyes! So I guess it's not a short process to identify the right fit. Any words of wisdom on helping me navigate through what feels like an onslaught of totally eligible and adorable and wonderful potential donors?

Yes I agree with all of you on the safety front, I just need to somehow get DH on the same page.

Thank you all! I'm SOO excited about this journey.

Kay

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kay2015 For This Useful Post:

KLM0511  (10-01-2015),KMP  (10-01-2015),Patsy73  (10-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome Kay!

I would reiterate what the others said, if the agency is on the approved list check them out. Pick the agency based on your donor choice not the other way around..
    We ended up with Sunshine and couldn't be happier. They have been Fabulous!

We too registered with all the agencies and found it initially daunting. Something we found helpful was to ask each of the agencies for their recommendations based on any set criteria you may have .. For us they all sent back some suggestions and we went from there.

Sometimes they have 'returning donors' who may have donated and taken a break. These ones often don't show up on basic searches as they are removed while they are unavailable.

Our criteria did alter a little over the time once we worked out what our 'must haves' were.

As for safety - we have travelled all over the world in many countries often considered dangerous/unsafe... Cape Town isn't even close, just follow the same 'rules' you would in Melbourne or Sydney and you will be fine 😊

Like some of the other ladies here we too are heading over for a second time in two weeks! Even if we hadn't planned another DE cycle we would have still wanted to come back because it's such a lovely place .

Good luck with your search!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

Kay2015  (11-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Blinky76

Yes, that's a good suggestion. I will ask them to send recommendations and go from there - I've spent the entire day surfing donor profiles!

That's very exciting that you are going back in 2 weeks. We are aiming for May (if I can wait that long!).

Do the agencies meet the donors before the donors post their profiles? In other words, are the agencies making recommendations on the basis of having met the individuals, or on the basis of their online profiles (which is the same information I can see). I'm trying to determine if they have MORE information than we can see online.

Thanks
    Kay
    Last edited by Kay2015; 10-01-2015 at 00:56.