Closed Thread
Page 6 of 113 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Welcome Chillout!
    Being ready to accept DE cycles can take some time but once you have decided, things can happen very quickly.

CFC (Cape Fertility Clinic) in Cape Town is where most of the ladies here have chosen to go. Ultimately though the decision of which clinic is probably going to be dictated by the donor you chose and where they are located.

It is very easy (with the wealth of knowledge from everyone here) to organise the whole thing yourself.

A first point of contact would be to contact CFC and ask for an information package. This pack will also detail recommended donor agencies to work with (they should be SARSEG accred.)
    Then would come the difficult task of selecting a donor. Once you have decided on a donor you could be in Cape Town for your cycle in as little as 6-8 weeks.
    As far as costs go ours was something like the following:
    Flights for 2 $3200
    Agency fee $1400
    Clinic fees $5200

Then there are variable costs like accommodation (depends on the standard/type of accommodation. We got an self serviced apartment for $1100 for two weeks. Extra costs will be dictated by what you chose to do in your free time while there. There are only 3 appointments so there is plenty of time to sight see

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (05-12-2014),Chillout71  (07-11-2014),MGC Bertie  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome Chillout.
    I see that Blinky already provided you with info including cost. I just would like to say that i went via Denise Bernstein (and of course her husband was my FS here in Sydney for cycle).

It is possible to organise it your self without paying a FS in Sydney, but for me it was important that i have someone here who i could ask questions and especially the care after returning back from Cape Town.

My first cycle with DE i did overseas too being very unexpereinced what to expect and what to do in both situations (BFN or BFP), so this time i had a back up in Sydney even though i was an experienced IVFer with DE (if this terminology even ecxists). I am not regreting using Denise plus Co in Sydney. They ran extra tests before they let in on a plane to SA, they helped me with prescriptions, with med cert (yes, i and my husband had holidays using sick leave hehehe, we have plenty accumulated) etc. I returned back with BFP, had referrals to blood tests, scans etc.
    Let me know if you have any other questions regarding using them.
    Last edited by GirlFromSydney; 07-11-2014 at 14:22.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlFromSydney For This Useful Post:

Chillout71  (07-11-2014),MGC Bertie  (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks GirlFromSydney! Can I ask you how much extra you paid to use the Bernsteins' services? It sounds like it is not absolutely necessary but might be more comforting through this journey!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chillout, its not necessary, agree, its just me who needs support and piece of mind. It was $1800.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chillout... I don't know how much your Dr Bernstein cost to manage an overseas cycle, but my clinic (IVFA) charges $1000. I asked here a couple of weeks ago about what people thought about that and it seemed about evenly split (ie half the people said just pay the money, half said do it yourself):
    * Pros (with paying the $1000) clinic will do:
    - all up-to-date BTs done for overseas clinic
    - pre-tests done just before departing
    - post-tests done after returning
    - opening hours before work means I can get to work on time, whereas normal BT labs only open at 8am or later, meaning I'd have days late off work
    - my GP isn't really onboard with prescribing me some meds or sending me for some tests, and I think that she'll continue this "nervousness" with my overseas cycle (plus I'd have to pay for appointments for her, and she's not cheap anyhow!)
    * Cons (with paying the $1000)
    - just the cost
    * Pros (that others have said with just using a GP)
    - the cost is much cheaper
    - their GPs haven't had a problem referring for BTs etc nor with prescribing meds, so it might more be about how your GP is

My final DE from my sister is being transferred tomorrow (Sat), so I'm not quite planning for SA yet - really hoping not needing to, but obviously I've started my research.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Chillout71. I'm relatively new to this forum myself but can probably still give some info that might be helpful or of interest. We also went thru a number of ivf cycles - we have a good FS here and he would test when I had to have a d&c. With the last cycle I had a suspicion something wasn't right and arranged PGD testing, those results combined with the d&c testing results made it very clear it would be a near miracle for us to have children using my eggs - that was last Sept. Like you I was taking time to process that we wouldn't be successful with my eggs. In December my niece contacted to offer to donate eggs and that gave us something new to think about. We took her up on the offer and went for tests etc early 2014. For a couple of different reasons I ended up calling that arrangement off. That was about April. I'd already started thinking about donor eggs but DH wasn't there - at first he felt if it wasn't our genetic baby he didn't want to proceed. But for me I would be happy to adopt if it just wasn't so darn hard and I spoke to him more about that. I'd also been looking secretly at donor profiles (you need to register with most agencies) and that actually helped me reconcile things and gradually I started to introduce the concept and gradually he started to be accepting of it.
    As for how I organised it all - again my fantastic FS here had suggested egg donation. He gave me a run down on the various countries we could consider. I also did a bit of internet research. I contacted agencies in the US and SA - ultimately it was the cost that swayed me to SA along with the advice from my FS that a number of his patients went there. As blinky mentions - make sure the agency is sasreg registered. I think this site will help with a list of agencies: fertilitysa.org.za - it seems to list the main suspects.
    Some recipients only really want to go to Cape Town - for me I didn't mind either Joburg or capetown - I just wanted to find the right donor - so to start with I looked just at the donors - not the locations. I did have limits though and wasn't going to places like Durban - I was happy though to pay additional travel costs. Some say you shouldn't but personally I think it's reasonable to do and I was happy with that. Once I started looking and once DH was on board, if I found a donor I liked I started to send emails to the agency. I enquired about their availability and got cost estimates and once I got a donor confirmed I asked the agency if they recommended a particular clinic. While I went with their recommendation I also had info from my local FS which included some patient write ups by others who had already been over - so I was comfortable going ahead.
    I used my local FS here who charged a small fee to coordinate things. He did scans for me and supplemented the SA plan - I am sure the SA plan would have been fine but I have always had an implant with my local FS and I wanted to replicate what my local FS had done previously as much as possible. He would also offer post transfer care when I got back.
    As for time frames... I started looking in May...had a donor picked in July - but when she went for testing the clinic advised I look for another as they didn't feel she'd give me the best chance of success. We had another picked pretty quickly and headed over for transfer late September. I think one of the hardest parts is picking the donor, then perhaps delays can occur based on their availability - we had one that would have only been available late November and I wasn't willing to wait so I continued looking...anyway huge post... I hope it's been of some help. Good luck with your journey.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoping4best For This Useful Post:

Chillout71  (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and good luck tomorrow MCG Bertie! Just saw your post. Everything crossed for you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoping4best For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (08-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chillout to add to the decision making with regards to using a support clinic here in Australia. I think for some of us (like me) we have good support from our FS here in Australia. (Mine is happy to help with scans, BT, scripts and additional protocol for immune issues). If this is the case then using the clinic you mentioned is probably not necessary.
    If you feel however, that you may encounter issues or hinderance from your doctors then your suggested support is probably a fair consideration. I think for most (?) here FS charge a nominal fee for 'management of an overseas cycle' - I know I am one of the lucky ones who has a FS who is a saint and only asked for a hat to be brought back for his collection..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all. Just a quickie as my wifi connection is very intermittent. Our donor had her pick up today but when I asked Cyndi how many eggs we got, she said she wasn't allowed to tell me and the lab would call in the morning. Is this normal? Thinking I might go back and ask again...
    Thanks all. 

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Our Dr called us patsy late in the arvo of pick up, maybe speak with them?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app