Closed Thread
Page 18 of 112 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Here are my tips on what to do in & around Cape Town

Table Mountain take the Cable Car up at sunset bring a bottle of wine and have a sundowner as the South Africans call it while watching the sunset

Gondwarda Game Reserve was amazing. Its a 4 hour drive from Cape Town and a bit pricey but a once in a lifetime safari experience with the ability to see all the Big 5 and many other animals and they also have a pool to relax at lovely accommodations with great views & good food. Kids under 12 can't go on game drives but they do offer babysitting. You can also walk in the safe zone and see giraffes and other animals up pretty close

Stay in Stellenbosch we enjoyed both L'avenir & Eikendal Lodge where you stay on working wine farms. Eikendal supports a cheetah program so if you ask about it they may give you free passes to go pet cheetahs at a reserve which is very cool and usually costs around $20 a person (they gave us 2 free passes)

Have lunch Le Petite Ferme in Franshhoek great food and an amazing view of the whole wine valley. Babel also has an amazing lunch but you have to book 2 months in advance They are located at Babylonstoren Winery which I highly recommend they have some great wines

Drakenstein Lion Park is also cool and is near the Winelands all lion rescues and if you go at 4pm you can watch them feed the lions I think on Mon, Wed 7 Friday

World of Birds in Hout Bay is great if you like monkeys and birds and tortises all are rescues and kids would like it!

Robertson Wine Valley is beautiful and they have some great wines to try

Go on a township tour very interesting and educational and they will take you to eat at Mzoli's in one of the black townships which has amazing BBQ

Dash Restaurant in the Queen Victoria Hotel on the Waterfront has amazing food we had the best dinner of our trip there very high end but not very expensive

Cape of Good Hope cool to see & stop at Boulders Beach along the way to see penguins up close and personal

Hermanus is a quaint town and during Oct & Nov you can see whales from the shore or go on a trip on a boat. We stayed at High Season Farm a working cattle farm with self catering houses its not too expensive and you can cook your own food and also see Hemel en Aarde wine region lovely with great wines. Try the food & wine pairing at Creation Wines they have one for kids too that's not wine of course

Robben Island the prison tour was cool with a former political prisoner the bus tour before kind of a waste

Enjoy, Cape Town really is a great place to visit!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CAmom For This Useful Post:

Annabelle1  (16-11-2014),Lisaxxx  (16-11-2014),mardicharli  (16-11-2014),Miss Sagi  (16-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. Wow there is a lot going on in this thread and so many of us going over in February.

Best of luck to those in SA for November & hoping the 2ww goes quickly.

Thank you for all the tips of things to do in and near Cape Town. I have copied it down for future reference.

Because I am doing donor sperm and egg I have decided to import sperm from a sperm bank that has donor identity disclosure when the child turns 18. It’s a more expensive option but one that I am doing for any potential child that they would have the opportunity to know at least part of their genetic history. I am still looking for a sperm donor.

Thanks for the messages of support regarding telling family. I think I will just have to tell them the decision has been made and that their support is welcome but other comments are not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Annabelle, I took this option with donor sperm too for the same reasons. I went through Xytex in the USA. Cape Fertility have dealt with them many times so know the drill :-) I now have a beautiful 7 month old son. It's challenging going it alone but oh so worthwhile. All the very best to you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wishmeluck For This Useful Post:

Annabelle1  (16-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Wishmeluck,

I am planning on using Xytex for donor sperm. I've purchased access to the detailed donor profiles so just need to pick a donor which I am finder harder than my egg donor.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabelle1 For This Useful Post:

wishmeluck  (17-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I consider myself very lucky to have found this thread while I consider what to do next! Thank you all for being so involved and also your helpfulness and of course honesty. With implantation, it seems a lot of the pregnant ladies on the roll call chose to implant two embryos but it's not clear whether they all remain pregnant with twins or whether they chose to implant two but one is still growing (ie the decision to implant two helped to make them pregnant), is it possible to share this information on the roll call for people who may be choosing whether to implant one or two embryos?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Boy we've definitely had a busy few days in CT recently. On Saturday we drove to Cape Point & saw wild baboons & ostriches on the way. Cape point is nice to see but remember to wear comfy shoes as you do a lot of walking. I bought a mini pizza at the snack bar & as I was eating it this little pesky bird flew at my face & stole my pizza right in front of me. I was in shock! Haha. Also wear really warm clothes as it gets quite cold up there!
    then on the way back we stopped at Simons Town & saw the Penguins. They're so cute & they let you get up real close for a photo.
    then yesterday we went to the infamous Milnerton Flea Market which only occurs on the weekends & costs nothing for entry. The view of Table Mtn in the background is awesome & we picked up a couple things for our house: a brass door knocker & antique binoculars. then we spent the afternoon at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. We went straight for the tree canopy walk & got a few great photos. If you miss seeing the gardens don't worry, you're not missing too much unless you're a plant enthusiast. The day was saved by a live band in the gardens.

then onto today we went to the Cheetah Outreach. It was pretty cool seeing how well they've developed their centre & they give you a tour of the area for free. The baby Cubs were ah-dorable!! We paid R130 each for "encounter" with an adult cheetah named Joseph. You should try & visit this place while here as most people forget about the cheetahs when they think of African predators & you're also helping the centre out.
    afterwards, as suggested by Williteverhappen we went to Drakenstein Lion Park. Oh man it was AWESOME!! We purposely went today as it was feeding day & they hadn't been fed since Friday so they were a very roudy bunch. One male lion even kicked up his heels & charged at my DH. He was so angry & starving (which I can relate sometimes haha). Make this a must do on your trip as well, especially if you're not doing a safari like us.

anyway, an update on the important stuff - I had a call on Saturday saying they inseminated all 13 eggs & 9 have fertilised overnight. They said they will keep an eye on the remaining 4, but we were pretty happy with that result. Then today at breakfast we got a call from them saying all 9 are a good looking 8 cell embryos & that 1 more have joined the ranks as a 6 cell embryo. I cried when I heard this, I was just so happy & extremely grateful! So we're going for a day 5 transfer on Wednesday morning. I congratulated DH on all his efforts of not drinking & taking all those vitamins I've been shoving down his throat for the past few months. Also having young, healthy eggs is a major part too but I obviously can't say the same to our angel, although I hope somehow she knows how grateful we are for her.

anyway, wifi isn't all that great here so just thought I'd update while i had full bars. Looking forward to our cat h up dinner tomorrow night. Mmm pizza & good company!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hope for all For This Useful Post:

laned  (20-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Konza: Re things to do in Cape Town...a lot of the other ladies have covered off a lot of what we've done too so I'll just throw in a few suggestions that might appeal when you're travelling with a small person as well.
    My six-year-old especially adored the Aquilla Safari, the red bus tours, the Two Oceans Aquarium and the penguins at Boulders beach (as did I!) They are in their moulting season at the moment so there are literally hundreds on the beach. There's also a lovely ice cream shop near the craft market which was a big hit afterwards!
    As for eating, we found a lot of restaurants had child menus and as we were self-catering, we ate a lot at home as well. Woolworths Food is great...and they have a great selection of children's meals (lasagne, cottage pie, spaghetti Bol, etc, etc) if you need something quick.
    Another favourite was our 'picnic' at the Boschendal Winery near Franschhoek. The winery supply a picnic hamper full of ham, cheese, bread, etc, which you eat at tables under the trees with a glass of wine if that's what you fancy. There's a child's option too and plenty of room for them to run around when they've finished eating. It's a beautiful setting and the estate has lots of old buildings which are just gorgeous.

We also went to Groot Constantia which was also gorgeous but as I wasn't drinking by then, I did find myself staring rather wistfully at people's wine glasses...

AFM: Looking forward to catching up with Williteverhappen and visiting Robben Island tomorrow and then meeting up with some of the November crew at dinner later. Now half way through my 10 day wait but not feeling very positive, no symptoms whatsoever... But I was without wifi for two days, so at least that stopped me from consulting Dr Google...

Hi to everyone else.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patsy73 For This Useful Post:

DJSHEARS  (20-11-2014),laned  (20-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great news Seahorse!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Patsy73 For This Useful Post:

laned  (20-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats Seahorse, such great news. And a girl, how lovely, go team pink!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to williteverhappen For This Useful Post:

laned  (20-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. Sorry I havent posted in a while. Work, tiredness.....

Good luck to all in South Africa atm. I have EVERYTHING crossed for you!
    Welcome to all the newbies

Konza
    - my DH is the one who usually posts. I am not sure why there aren't more males on here! Occasionally I get to grab control of the keyboard......But I'm the one who usually reads on quietly in the background.....I only wish he could do the IVF/injection receiving/pregnancy symptoms and childbirthing too........;P

To Sydney crew - we are in Canberra and I am a MAJOR fan of having our children grow up knowing a few other donor babies - especially springboks like themselves. I have even thought to have a chrissie BBQ here in Canberra if anyone is keen! (let me know) DH is fairly (over)protective of me travelling (aka 'doing too much') atm but would love to be a proxy Sydney catch up member.....as long as we get enough notice we can get up there for a weekend. I don't think there are any other Canberrans on this thread?

Seahorse - great news. Glad all is well.

Chillout - we transferred two embies. Initially they both took but we lost one at about 7 weeks. One still healthy and just made 17 weeks

As for us - just got back from obstetrician today and think I have felt my first movements this week along with hearing the heartbeat today. Still worry I'm going to kill the baby with inadvertant soft cheese consumption/food poisoning/stress/constipation/lack-of-breathing-through-incessant-nasal-congestion or some such like (sorry bout the overshare). Think I will be paranoid until the day it is born...and even then.....two weeks until 20 week scan and counting LOLs Things are going pretty well all in all.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tittle For This Useful Post:

DJSHEARS  (20-11-2014),Hope for all  (19-11-2014),laned  (20-11-2014),mardicharli  (22-11-2014),Patsy73  (19-11-2014)