Closed Thread
Page 13 of 112 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was hoping to be able to keep the donor pictures so my child would have something. I am hoping to find a donor that would be ok with my son/daughter making contact if the laws ever do change - I remember seeing on one of the donor agency websites, a section where the donor specifies if they would be open to contact if the laws changed over there.

Sent from my iPad using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a very tricky one for sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Welcome Annabell - I trust you will have a super successful journey. All the very best with your decision process re telling the family.

Chillout - we kept a comprehensive video diary and a memory box, full of all little treasures picked up along the way including the donors profile, emails, photos, boarding passes etc. Additionally, we had an Egg Safari party with our friends before we left and videoed that too, having our friends provide messages to our future child.

I frequently tell William he is a beautiful gift from the land of the lions. We intend on advising him with age appropriate language of his origin.

Honestly, at first the anonymity was something that attracted me to Sth Africa, however as time went on I had a yearning to meet the wonderful woman who was willing to give us the greatest gift of all. I actually am sure I saw her on the day of her EPU. It may sound completely bonkers, but I think of her often and frequently speak about her to others and I hope on some spiritual level that she is aware of our gratitude.

Who knows what the future will hold in relation to William's response to our decisions. We will have to cross that bridge and accept the ramifications, if any at that time. It is a tricky one. Xx

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laned For This Useful Post:

DJSHEARS  (13-11-2014),EmmaJane75  (13-11-2014),Sunflower11  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default So much happening!

OMG this thread is buzzing, where do I begin??!!!

Laned - What a beautiful way to capture Willliam’s journey into the world. Wish I had’ve thought of that. We have been keeping a few bits and pieces but nothing as comprehensive as you. I’m sure William will love and appreciate it once he is old enough to understand. Not long now until you’re over here with us!

Chillout71 – the laws and what we knew about our donor were a deciding factor for us. We did only look at donors who would be open to knowing our child in the future if the laws changed. We also looked at going to Spain where apparently they have good success rates but you don’t know anything at all about your donor as the clinic selects them for you based on a physical likeness. We wanted a bit more than that for our child and really liked that the SA donor profiles told us so much more and we were able to choose ourselves.

Blinky76 – hope you’re feeling a bit better today? We have a similar signature/journey xx

Patsy – congrats on being PUPO. I’ve SMS’d you this evening, sorry for late reply I ran out of credit and couldn’t recharge until I got back to the hotel to use WIFI.

MrsErinR – thanks for the tip re PIO, I was wondering about that too after Patsy queried it. Hope you’re feeling ok and being pampered at home.

Newbies – welcome to the thread. I’ve been posting regularly lately as I’m currently in CT but usually don’t get a chance to. So many of the ladies on here are so helpful though as I’m sure you have all already seen. Good luck with your journeys.

Nic – we flew Melbourne to Doha to CT with Qatar, great airline and very well priced. We stayed at Harbouredge in the city for the first week and now we are at the Ambassador Hotel in Bantry Bay. Both are nice places to stay and reasonably priced. Both were booked through Booking.com

Annabelle – we haven’t told anyone we have embarked on our DE journey, only to keep it private and to minimise the pressure on the cycle. The few people that do know that we are away at the moment think we are in NZ visiting DH family! It’s been quite a hassle keeping it under wraps but I really just wanted to keep this experienced between DH and I for now. I can say however that when I first mentioned to my mother about exploring DE she told me to keep trying with my OE. She knew we were doing IVF but I had spared her a lot of the detail because she is a major stress head. When she told me to keep on going with my OE I lost it and basically asked her on what basis she thought I should ignore the advice of two FS and continue pouring money down the drain for little chance of success. She didn’t say much after that but must have lulled it over because if ever I’ve mentioned it since she has been much better.

Donna – so glad your treatment is going well and you are almost ready to continue your DE journey.

Hopeforall- sorry I missed you at CFC on Monday! So glad you liked Robben Island. How was the shopping today? I did purchase some more meds here, just the progynova and the gemstone.

Mardicharli – did you get your car hire sorted? We have been using scenic car hire who have been great although we haven’t needed a car seat so I can’t comment on that. Hope you’re starting to get excited about your trip.

Hope4best –we got some wooden chopping boards from one of the wineries today, hoping to get a giraffe in the next couple of days!

MGC Bertie – any niggles? Hope you’re coping with the 2ww ok.

Oh dear, I’m sure I’m missing people and I’m so sorry!

AFM – I spoke to the lab this morning and they told me they don’t check the embies on days 2 or 4 because they are sensitive to light so they keep monitoring to a minimum. This means I will get a call tomorrow morning (day 3) to advise whether we need to go in for a transfer then or whether we will wait until Saturday for a day 5 transfer. Not feeling very optimistic but I’m hoping that’s because I’m sleep deprived. One of our fur babies back home has gone missing for the last 5 days so I was up all of lastnight rallying all my neighbours to keep an eye out for her, asking them to ring the pound, ring the vet, I even created a poster at 2am this morning for a letter box drop! You get the picture. Fortunately she was seen briefly today and apparently looked ok. They were unable to catch her but at least she I know is still within the neighbourhood and not hurt or worse. So much for relaxing in the lead up to ET!! Wish us luck for some positive news tomorrow morning x

6. The Following User Says Thank You to williteverhappen For This Useful Post:

Hoping4best  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all! Just a quickie as I've somehow managed to temporarily lock myself out of the thread on my ipad and am typing with one finger on my phone...
    Our doc transferred two blasts today. One was 'beautiful' and the other was 'on its way to being beautiful', apparently. Now the nervous wait begins...
    So, I am now PUPO (and yes, I had to google what that meant... )
    Will post again in the morning with a longer post answering some questions if I can get back in on the ipad...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patsy73 For This Useful Post:

mardicharli  (13-11-2014),Sunflower11  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS: Williteverhappen, just about to send you an email. Sorry to hear about your missing fur baby (hopefully more sleep tonight?) and fingers crossed for tomorrow.
    Last edited by Patsy73; 13-11-2014 at 06:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations Patsy on being PUPO! Enjoy resting up and let them embies snuggle in..

Williteverhappen - thank you yes feeling better today. I had a good chat with a friend (& DH) which helped - I was reminded that this whole process is bound to throw up all sorts of feelings etc. , particularly as we pass various 'would be' milestones. (This time last year was when our last OE cycle didn't work {in spectacular fashion} and we came to the realisation that DE was necessary)

Chillout - I can understand why you may think 'it's tricky' but I don't think it has to be.. I think it is all in the perspective and approach.

As Laned has shown there are great ways we can provide meaningful answers to a DE child when questions are asked down the track about 'where they come from'. (Memory boxes, journals, letters, keeping donor profiles etc are all fabulous ideas).
    I think it's also important to remember that our donors donate altruistically - one amazingly generous gift. That speaks volumes to us as recipients about the type/character of person they are, I believe that would translate just as importantly to a donor child as well.

Importantly, I also think the fact we are prepared to go halfway around the world to undertake these cycles speaks volumes for our love and commitment to 'finding our children'.
    I think if the conversations are open and honest (age appropriate of course) it can be handled effectively.

There have been times where I have worried about the medical side of the 'what ifs' argument but we rationalised this by the fact that we consider this option to be similar in part , to overseas adoption where information can be sparse or inaccurate.

It's different for everyone but our thought was that if we are happy to accept a child, without knowing or having access to very much about their medical or lineage information through adoption, then it is no different to using DE.
    Last edited by Blinky76; 13-11-2014 at 06:34.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

Konza  (15-11-2014),Luca  (13-11-2014),Patsy73  (13-11-2014),Sunflower11  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Just a quickie...

Edith (Edie) May born at 10.14pm 12/11/14 at 35w2d after 12 hours of induction that went nowhere. Induced due to pre-eclampsia, born via c section weighing 2.3kgs, she is in special care for observation as her breathing is a little labored and blood sugar needs monitoring due to my GD, but otherwise she is perfect.
    Attached Images

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

GirlFromSydney  (13-11-2014),January  (13-11-2014),laned  (13-11-2014),Lisaxxx  (14-11-2014),mardicharli  (13-11-2014),MGC Bertie  (13-11-2014),Patsy73  (13-11-2014),Seahorse1xxx  (13-11-2014),Sunflower11  (13-11-2014),Tittle  (18-11-2014),wishmeluck  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Huge Congratulations Emski!

She is perfect!
    Hope you are doing well too!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlFromSydney For This Useful Post:

emski72  (13-11-2014),laned  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations Emski and hubby and welcome gorgeous Edie. Wonderful news to wake up to! I hope her stay in special care is short lived and you are both home soon xx

Patsy, great news on PUPO, the exact same happened to us so have a good feeling for you.

Sorry, also haven't been on for a few days and with so much happening worried I will get some personals muddled, blaming baby brain and iPad but thinking of everyone in CT for Good eggs, fertilisation, transfers and little miracles.

MGCBertie, hope the tww wait is being kind to you too, everything crossed for you.

welcome to those that have just joined us, this thread has been life changing and I wish all your dreams to come true.

Blinky, laned we all know those tough days and just want to send hugs to you both.

laned, video had not thought of that but a great way to capture memories and help with any 'who I am, where'd I come from...' Issues in the future. I am planning on putting a photo book together capturing as much as I can, donor pics/profile, emails from her pics of trip etc... But love the idea of video msg from friends - a gorgeous keepsake for you both.
    it does concern me what our boys will think but after many discussions with adopted friends, some who have met their biological 'mums' and with others that have no information about them all say, that their Mum's/Dads and those they love and care about are those that brought them up and have been their loving and supporting them there whole lives. To date we've been very lucky with whom we've shared our DE journey with and have only gotten support and encouragement but there are a lot of ignorant people out there and I'm sorry that anyone has to deal with that. We also considered, looked into adoption but it's not easy and being over 40 makes it harder again.

Again, sorry for missing personals but you are all in my thoughts.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunflower11 For This Useful Post:

emski72  (13-11-2014),laned  (13-11-2014),MGC Bertie  (13-11-2014),Patsy73  (13-11-2014)