+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default teaching bub to eat

HOW lol. At what age should I start teaching my 15 month old to use utencils / fork / spoon etc? sometimes he is quite fussy about not wanting to be fed - only wanting to feed himself (finger food) but I want him on family meals which cant always be eaten by hand (i.e. risotto). what age is appropriate and how do I teach him to use a spoon etc? Sometimes he puts food on his sippy cup and eats it off that ha ha. I feel like he is ready / wants to learn....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just give him a spoon and let him practice. Yes, it will be messy but he will get it in no time!! You don't need to explicitly teach him, he will just learn by watching and doing. My kids have had a spoon from 6 months when they started solids. I have never spoon fed them, they have just fed themselves (Baby-led weaning).

ETA I just realised that my last statement isn't true (oh how quickly I forget!!) - we did spoon feed our first (DD) for a little while before she decided she wanted to do it all herself.
    Last edited by sajimum; 03-11-2014 at 10:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 15 month old and he uses utensils. We BLW and I've been giving him fork and spoon since 10 months and for a few months he'd use his hands mainly around 12 months he began using the fork and spoon. I think you've just got to give it to them, they'll figure it out especially if sitting with the family.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just give him utensils and he'll figure it out himself.
    I would always give a spoon/fork for them to hold and help feed them with another in my hand.
    My DD completely refused to eat if I tried to spoon feed her at a very young age so I had no choice but to leave her to her own devices.

Me 32, He 35, DS 14, DD 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd couldn't manage a spoon or fork correctly until 17 months. I gave her one with meals and she just learnt by watching us. She just started doing it one day, it just clicked. Lots of mess. She had always had finger foods as she stopped letting us spoon feed her from 9 months. Tinned corn or thick custard or jelly is a good way to start- something they can use either fingers or a spoon with

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 14 months and she feeds herself with her hands. I offer her a spoon and she sometimes uses it but she can't figure out how to scoop to get stuff on lol if there is already food on the spoon she puts it in her mouth. It's just offering them the opportunity to try and modelling with your own behaviour how it is done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Just give him utensils and he'll figure it out himself.
    I would always give a spoon/fork for them to hold and help feed them with another in my hand.
    My DD completely refused to eat if I tried to spoon feed her at a very young age so I had no choice but to leave her to her own devices.

Me 32, He 35, DS 14, DD 2
    I agree with the idea of giving him a spoon while you use a different spoon. That way you won't be so concerned if he can't do it himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Slowly slowly little by little. Our boy uses a spoon/fork or his hands, whatever gets the food into his mouth. At first he'd use the spoon a bit then give up and use his fingers, now he's two years old and it's more spoon less fingers. And you *can* eat risotto with your fingers! It's just a bit messy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS got his own spoon when he was quite young, around 6 months. It was rarely used as a spoon though; usually a weapon of mess and destruction. Then he just kind of started to attempt to feed himself with the utensils as well as his fingers.

He'll learn through watching and doing. Just give your DS a spoon and watch him go!

Quote Originally Posted by debsch View Post
    Slowly slowly little by little. Our boy uses a spoon/fork or his hands, whatever gets the food into his mouth. At first he'd use the spoon a bit then give up and use his fingers, now he's two years old and it's more spoon less fingers. And you *can* eat risotto with your fingers! It's just a bit messy.
    If there's one thing I've learned with kids, it's that you can eat anything with your fingers. (Yes, even soup!) The size of the mess and the amount of food actually ingested varies though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

debsch  (03-11-2014)