Closed Thread
Page 91 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh dear....i just convinced DH to sign up for the antenatal class last night. After our hospital tour (not the one we are going), we felt like a complete waste of time. When I asked him about the class, he was very hesitated about going. My friend highly recommended it and she found it so informative. DH had a look on the hospital website and agreed to go. Now, hearing your complaint, I am kinda worried that it will be another waste of time thing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (27-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MGC Bertie View Post
    For those who attended an ante-natal class, and it was worthwhile, what were the main points that you discussed or did?
    @Essence08 and I were at the same course (which was kinda cool), but sounds like ours was a bit more informative than yours. We had an experienced midwife run the course at the hospital where we're delivering.

Main things I took away are:
    1. A better understanding of the end to end labour process. Average time and bit more detail about the 3 stages. Key thing was that every labour is different so you never know how it will go.
    2. How to time contractions (surely this will be handy so I don't arrive too early)
    3. More info on the drugs (i.e. morphine is used more at this hospital than pethidine, and you're given an anti-nausea drug with the shot
    4. They are generous with the drugs
    5. What this hospital has one site (i.e exercise balls, mats, hot / cold packs) and what we'd have to bring (10's machines)
    6. This is probably the most important - where to park at the hospital and exactly where the maternity ward is.
    That's about it... Nothing earth shattering.

For the record, DH said he didn't get much out it. However, he was extremely hungover and had to drink the sample Hydralyte they gave us.

I would call and complain if I were you. Sounds like you didn't get any value out of it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (28-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pretty much agree with @lileitak - nothing earth shattering! The good thing I found was that it put us both in baby thinking mode for a whole day so in that sense it was more useful for DH as baby is (was) more of an abstract idea to him than reality lol.
    We learnt about birth and labour including c-sections, pain relief and what to expect watched a video of each. Practiced baby wrapping and putting on nappies, learnt about breastfeeding and feeding cues. Learnt about the hospital services and toured the maternity unit (yay as next day I ended up in there for monitoring) and delivery rooms and got to meet one of the paediatricians.
    My feedback on the day was that I was hoping for more info on what to do with the baby after she's born! It was so focused on birth and that is really such a small part of things when you have no idea what to do with a baby lol.
    @MGCbertie sorry it was so crap but I hope you gave them feedback so they can do better next time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (28-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope yeah I think it is natural for us to find things to measure about during pregnancy, I think the main thing I learnt the last few days was that the fundal measurement is important so see what they say about that. I'm sure babies are sometimes letting us know that they're not happy with our positioning and want us to move lol.
    @MGC Bertie sorry you had such a bad experience at your class. Good thing you didn't have to pay, but still it was a waste of your day. A lot of my class was focused on the actual birth although we did spend a little time on how to look after baby. We practiced nappy changes and wrapping and also discussed settling baby, ways to recognise when a baby is hungry, safe sleeping etc. We only touched on breastfeeding cos the hospital I'm at run a breastfeeding class on Thursday mornings, which I plan on going to this week.
    In terms of the labour we talked about the different stages and what happens at each stage and helpful ideas for managing it. We discussed timing of our contractions and the right point to go into hospital. We also discussed various forms of pain relief during labour, natural (water, Tens machines, massage and massage balls, lavendar aromatherapy candles to calm, playing music that can help keep us calm, positioning, birthing balls - they had some birthing balls for us to try which I quite liked them), use of nitrous acid, pethidine (which could make the baby drowsy but good form of pain relief if needed), and finally the use of epidurals (which don't directly effect baby but can make second stage of labour longer). We discussed having a birth plan but not following it rigidly and why things may progress to a c-section.
    Oh she gave us a graphic handout on the contents of what we should expect in babies nappies in the first week with pictures of what their poo should look like and a description.
    We also talked about the important issue of parking - lol basically best to not have to turn up at the hospital in normal business hours or if there is a footy game at the oval. I have already said I hope that when I have to go in its overnight, cos basically if its at the wrong time and the carparks are full and can only get 2 hour parking in the street support person has to leave you to move the car until theres space in hospital carparks, which totally sucks
    We discussed the importance of looking after ourselves post pregnancy, and exercises, especially pelvic floor exercises.
    Sorry that was a bit of a lengthy explanation, but that is definitely more what these classes should be like!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky1977 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (28-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A big thank you everyone for giving me a run-down on what you did during the course. Yes, definitely plenty that we missed out on, so at least now I know what things to google (especially on timing the contractions!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told in my class that ideally the time to go to the hospital is when contractions are 5 minutes apart. They don't want us in hospital before we are 4cm dilated (I was told that if we were less we could get sent home again), which obviously we can't tell ourselves how far dilated we are so the contractions are the best tool to go by. At this point the contractions would be lasting about 50-60 seconds.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky1977 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (28-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nicky.... thanks very much for that. I'll go write that down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No worries, ha ha maybe I should have taught the class after the knowledge I picked up at mine, sounds like I would have been more useful than the woman you had on the day!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky1977 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (29-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to breastfeeding class at my hospital 2 weeks ago, the one thing I really took away from that was they emphasized that for the first 24hrs if possible don't put your baby down just cuddle them constantly with as much skin to skin as possible. They said don't even put them down in the bassinet to sleep just hold them, obviously if you're falling asleep too that's not safe but the general advice was hold them as much as possible. I thought we'd cuddle her a lot but hadn't thought about just holding her constantly but makes sense and I'm really excited to have those constant cuddles so we get to know each other's smells and bodies

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (29-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, I really hope to get that much information for our class.

sorry for changing the subject. I have been feeling anxious in the last two nights. After reading the pregnancy book, my anxiety set in. I just booked the ticket for a business trip after ob didn't seem to concern when I asked about it on my last visit. I will be 28w+ at the time of travel. Flying back at 29w. This is an international trip and the flight is 7hrs+2hrs. Airline will allow me to fly after 28w with certificate. I will just pass the limit. I am worried because the book says the Braxton hick can start as early as 28w. I have no experience on this so the fake contraction will only drive me crazy if that happens during my trip. I am insured by the company so hospital visit etc is covered. However, what's the point of going if I have to constantly worry. I wonder how big I would be and if I will be comfortable at all to walk 15 mins each way from the hotel to the meeting venue in the summer heat everyday. Then, googling around about the airline I will be flying. Bad idea! Read a sad story about a woman gave birth on the flight, emergency landing and the bub didn't make it. Now, I think it is a stupid idea for me to book the ticket and agree to go. The only way to get the $ back for the company is to have the OB saying I am not suit to fly. We don't know just yet (will be doing GD in 2w). So.....all the rumbling. You ladies have gone pass the 28w marker. What is your thought?