Closed Thread
Page 78 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Ladies.... something I didn't know before, but just found out the other day.... if you have PHI, you need to ring them and swap your "couples" cover over to "family cover", to cater for baby when it's born. For us, Bupa, was the same amount, doesn't cost extra for the child, but they needed to change it across. They said they would actually be able to do it up to 60 days after the birth, but said it was a good idea to do it now, incase you're busy thinking of other things after the birth :-))

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MGC Bertie For This Useful Post:

bbhope  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great advice @MGC Bertie! I found this out last week too. (We're currently each on our own plan as it was cheaper than the couple plan.)

Anyone else finding it crazy expensive? I pay 230 for my own plan, DH pays around 100, but when we join it will be around 450. (For top hospital + extras) Seems insane. I told him we'll evaluate after this birth if we keep the top cover. I didn't find the IVF benefit very high, and if it's an uncomplicated birth I'll likely go public for the next one. We're with NIB, with an unknown corporate discount.

We are going overseas in early December, so I've written step-by-step instructions for DH for where to get bub's birth certificate and passport. We need it fairly quickly afterward and I figure I'll be busy doing other things.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, lileitak,

We are with medibank private (with minimal corporate discount). Before we have medicare, we were paying about $500/month. We got burned because we were put on the wrong plan which didn't fulfil our visa requirement and thus didn't include IVF. The correct plan would cost the same amount and would include the IVF. I disputed it but you know, PHI....

I shopped around after we have the medicare. I found that going for the top cover doesn't really benefit us because you only get more rebate on the extra and things like knee reconstruction surgery. DH doesn't use extra. There is only a small difference between couple and family plan so we went with the family plan. It is about ~$300/month. I like BUPA corporate plan because DH can stay in the hospital after birth for free. But it costs a LOT more. I'll stick with MBP for now and rethink after the bub is born. The last thing i wanna do is to accidentally mess up the waiting period.

Oh....one still has to register bub with the PHI despite on the family plan. Ideally, as soon as the bub is born in case he/she needs to be hospitalized.

ps: no excess isn't always a good choice. We calculated the premium. It turns out that $250 excess is the fine balance for us in the end.
    Last edited by bbhope; 02-06-2015 at 11:11.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

ilex  (04-06-2015),MGC Bertie  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default IVF Babies due July/August/September 2015!

Hi girls, We are also with MBP, top hospital and extras family cover. We pay about $250 per month (includes 8% corporate discount) and we have a once off $250 excess per year if hospitalised.

ETA- DH and I stayed on our own cover until we had or DS. We went on when he was about 2 weeks old to combine cover (DH was added to mine as I had the higher cover and we added DS). @Essence08- No unfortunately storing embryos is not claimable with Medicare of PHI. We pay $300 per year I think and just have to take it on the chin
    Last edited by TeamCarts; 02-06-2015 at 14:33.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TeamCarts For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got top cover with NIB, hubby has lesser cover with HCF. We really need to combine but to keep same level cover as I have gets silly expensive. I love the extras I have with NIB and I use them, but not overly impressed with what was covered for IVF but I guess thats the same with all funds. Also don't want to mess around with changing prior to the birth of this bub as I'd hate to suddenly not be covered for something. All too complicated for now

Does anyone know if Medicare covers any of the cost of storing embryos before I head down there with my receipt?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Essence08 For This Useful Post:

ilex  (04-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. Storing isn't claimable. It says it on my receipt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Nope. Storing isn't claimable. It says it on my receipt.
    Thanks, was wishful thinking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCarts View Post
    @Essence08- No unfortunately storing embryos is not claimable with Medicare of PHI. We pay $300 per year I think and just have to take it on the chin
    Thanks @TeamCarts, just thought I'd check. Just paid $175 for 6 months so looking at $350 per year. Just another IVF expense Thankful to have some embryos to store.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Essence08 For This Useful Post:

TeamCarts  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I assume cord blood donation isn't common in the priv hospital? It doesn't seem to be common in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello girls,
    @bbhope – I think they will try and turn the bub if it is still breech at around 37-38 weeks, if they try before that then bub might have time to flip back again before birth. My ob told me there is a 50% they can successfully turn a bub for first timers and 80% for the 2nd or more bub. Bubs can flip as late as the day before labour though!
    I have the medela swing and medela harmony breast pumps. Harmony is a hand pump and was ok for infrequent pumping but I bought the swing when I went back to work and had to pump more often. I would recommend getting the double pump (medela freestyle) if you are planning on doing a lot of pumping as it is way more efficient to do both boobs at once and they say you end up with more milk collected if both are done at once. And that’s what I ended up doing: swing on one boob and hand pump harmony on the other boob at the same time! Quite a juggling act in a meeting room at work (with the door locked!!)
    Re: sleeping, both my ob and osteo have said sleep anyway you can! If you are still comfortable on your back that is fine. It is a myth that left side is best. I did some research in academic journals (I have science degree in chemistry, physiology and pharmacology) about this whole sleeping on your left side thing coz it was bugging me as I prefer back and right side sleeping although sleeping on my back makes me feel sick now so side it is. Anyway there have been some studies measuring blood flow to the uterus and back to the heart when lying in different positions for pregnant women and while they blood flow back to the heart was best when on left side the differences in blood flow were minimal and didn’t affect uterus blood flow and while lying on your back was the worst it was still better than the blood flow if you were standing up! I think it was around 25wks for me that I couldn’t sleep on my back anymore due to feeling pukey when I did.

@Ladydee my ob takes my blood pressure and we have a look at bub and measure head, torso, femur length, heartbeat and fluid volume, he has ultrasound in room. And that’s it. My pregnancy is boringly normal (yay) and this is my second preg and the first one went normal too. Maybe coz your ob knows u well and its your second too he’s happy with how its all going? Lets hope so

@KayzB that’s a good idea about getting bub’s sugar checked after birth, I’ll ask about that next ob meeting. I think I am first cab off the rank but u may beat me with the twinnies! How far are you planning on going? Sorry u may have already said earlier (I am still reading back a few pages).

AFM: well had my 36w check-up today and bubs is no longer posterior!!!!!!! Cant tell u how excited I was to hear that news. Yesterday she was moving around like crazy, I felt really nauseated and uncomfortable down really low in my bowels and it felt like she had dropped down and my ob confirmed this today saying he couldn’t feel her head, just shoulders, it was so low! So I could go any moment now ladies!!! As my cervix is starting to thin and he said usually 2nd bubs don’t go this low so early…he also said nothing could happen too and he’ll see me in 2 weeks if not sooner….. Bub is measure at 38w so really she’s ready too! I have to go pack my hospital bag…..

Hope everyone else is doing well

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to akakura For This Useful Post:

ilex  (04-06-2015),Ladydee  (03-06-2015),MGC Bertie  (03-06-2015)