Closed Thread
Page 77 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @gingermillie: good to hear that the BP has been controlled. There is always something to worry about! I have noticed that both of my hands are a bit swollen lately but nothing on my feet so far.
    @Nicky1977: grr....the GD diagnosis is based on drinking something. I might have a hard time passing it then if my random glucose level being high all the time. Oh..thanks for the tip about valco baby pram. Couple of them seem interesting.

Some questions to you ladies. When does the bub run out of room to turn? I still hate sleeping on the side despite the body pillow. Anyway, I force myself sleeping on the side but somehow i prefer sleeping on the right! Is there any problem with it? Lastly, is any of you planning to use a breast pump? If so, which one is good? I read something about closed system is better to avoid contamination (hygiene issue with the back flow and mold). I guess it doesn't matter if you get a manual one, am i correct?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @bbhope I wouldn't worry too much about the sleeping. My OB told me to sleep on my side, but I've heard from a few friends that their OBs have said to sleep any wy you can. I struggle on my side (back sleeper) but am trying. I don't think it matters which side really. It would be hard to stay on one all night.

Re: breast pumps, I went with the Spectra. They seem to get the best reviews (on BH and elsewhere) and were on sale at the time. Their milk storage bags are also quite reasonable. I opted for electric; there is no way I'm manually pumping. It sounds beyond daunting.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies
    @bbhope, I ended up pumping for 6 months full time with my dd as she had an undiagnosed uper lip tie. I used the single electric Philips AVENT pump which was great....super comfy rubber bit that goes on your boob and I always got huge let downs while using it. It attaches to your car with an inverter also. If for any reason (please no...fingers crossed!!!) I have to exclusively pump again though, I will happily pay any amount to just buy a double. The single is perfect for occasional use though Congrats on your placenta moving too! My 32 week scan to see how mine is is on the 26th June....eeek!

Ladies, just wondering what sort of regular tests everyone is having? What sort of things do you do and get checked at each of your Ob appointments? I like my Ob who in-between this baby and my first dd, I've been with him for about 5 years now as he was my FS both times too but.....he just seems so blasé about things sometimes! Maybe it's completely normal, I don't know? What sort of blood tests has everyone had? Iron? Thyroid? Anyone get the strep b swab? Most people go straight to the two hour glucose test or just the one? Anyone get their urine checked ever? Do you get a scan most visits or just the Doppler? Thanks in advance Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    @akakura nice to hear from you hun! Been wondering how you're doing.
    Hopefully you don't have GD, but perhaps get them to check your/bubs sugars after birth just incase? OB said mine & the babies sugars will be monitored for a few days after birth to make sure all ok & no lasting effects etc.
    I think you're 1st cab off the rank re due date - how exciting! Time is going fast now! xx
    @bbhope mine was the same as @Nicky1977 - my fasting and 1 hour post-drink levels were fine, but it was the 2 hour post-drink levels that I exceeded.

Sleeping - left side is the safest/best position to sleep on, but I alternate between that & my right side. Like @lileitak said, sleeping on just one side alone would prob give you a dead arm & all sorts of neck pain etc 😕 Can't wait to be able to sleep on my back again! Oh the lil things in life we take for granted ☺️

Re breast pump - I have a double electric Ameda pump.
    @Ladydee my OB has tested me a couple times now for iron, thyroid, and some other things (can't quite remember). Every appointment I do a urine test too (those dip strip types) which checks for traces of protein & glucose.
    OB also scans every appointment; it's just a basic machine she has in her room, but enough to check heart beats & fluid etc. Every appointment she also checks my BP, heart rate, and has a feel of my tummy.
    I had the 2-hour GD test; I did the test early on in pregnancy due to higher risk factors, and again at 28 weeks.

Have you spoken to OB about wanting more testing/thoroughness hun? With the $ we pay them, you're definitely entitled to it 😊 X

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KayzB For This Useful Post:

ilex  (31-05-2015),Ladydee  (31-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Ladydee I'm the same as @KayzB. My urine is checked at each appt along with my BP. I went straight to the 2 hrs GTT once I was 28 weeks and the strep swab is done from 34 weeks so will have it next week at my appt. I also have a scan at each appt with my OB, his machines are the same as what they use at the scanning places for 12w & 20w scans. Always have HB, placenta, fluid and size checked.
    @bbhope I have the Medela swing pump and used it every feed for the first 6 weeks and most days until my DS was about 6 months old. He was early and had tongue and lip tie so it took him a while master BF. I really liked my pump and would recommend it but if you have the extra cash I would definitely agree and would get a double if I had my time again. In regards to sleeping I'm pretty used to side sleeping now, and do prefer my RHS to be honest but roll from one to the other. I think so long as your not flat on your back your doing ok. Your baby will probably let you know if it doesn't like something. My babies tend to wake me up with big movements if I have somehow found myself on my back. (Must be depriving them of O2 or blood supply?)
    @akakura so nice to hear from you and that you are traveling so well. On the countdown now for sure! Can't believe how fast it has all gone

Hope everyone else is going well x

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TeamCarts For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (31-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Ladydee: I had urine, iron, tyroid etc test at 8w. Normal 12w BT (not harmony) for NT. Glucose test to check my level after finished off steroid. I have a quick scan and BP check each time I visit. I think the next one would be 26w BT and then 34w vaginal swab.

I am now having shoulder pain by sleeping on the side. LOL. @TeamCarts: I haven't been able to feel the movement so I don't even know if bub is happy or unhappy at all. I think i might feel something last night when i laid down and paid attention to it. Certainly, nothing is strong enough for me to jump up saying that's it.

Thanks for the breast pump info. You ladies are so nice as compared to my friends. Last time, one friend judged me of wanting to go back to work early. This time, I asked another friend if she is/was using breast pump. She questioned me why I would want to do that and said I don't need it. Then, directed me to ask any parenting/pregnancy advices from her friend, who is now pregnant and i will meet at her house party. Oh.....she deliberately told me that her friend is IVF conceived. I found it offensive that I am being put on the "special" IVF friend list. I am not ashamed of doing IVF but I don't want to be reminded constantly that this bub is different and the fact that I can't conceive naturally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladydee View Post
    Hi ladies
    @bbhope, I ended up pumping for 6 months full time with my dd as she had an undiagnosed uper lip tie. I used the single electric Philips AVENT pump which was great....super comfy rubber bit that goes on your boob and I always got huge let downs while using it. It attaches to your car with an inverter also. If for any reason (please no...fingers crossed!!!) I have to exclusively pump again though, I will happily pay any amount to just buy a double. The single is perfect for occasional use though Congrats on your placenta moving too! My 32 week scan to see how mine is is on the 26th June....eeek!

Ladies, just wondering what sort of regular tests everyone is having? What sort of things do you do and get checked at each of your Ob appointments? I like my Ob who in-between this baby and my first dd, I've been with him for about 5 years now as he was my FS both times too but.....he just seems so blasé about things sometimes! Maybe it's completely normal, I don't know? What sort of blood tests has everyone had? Iron? Thyroid? Anyone get the strep b swab? Most people go straight to the two hour glucose test or just the one? Anyone get their urine checked ever? Do you get a scan most visits or just the Doppler? Thanks in advance Xx
    Hi ladydee - so my only regular tests at my 20,26 and 30 week obstetrician appts were fundal height measurement and blood pressure as well as listening to heartbeat using doppler. My ob is happy to tick along like that if I feel ok and she thinks all looks fine. I thought she was a bit blasé too but I trust her, she's very experienced. She has one of those basic ultrasound machines and I had a scan from her at 20 and 26 weeks.
    I had the 2hr glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks. When my blood pressure was up at my 30 week appt ob did a urine test and said I would have one at every appt now, also had a blood test for preeclampsia checking which included complete blood picture. I had to go back last week at 31 weeks to get urine/BP/blood checked again and preeclampsia was diagnosed. So now I'll have weekly BP/urine monitoring and this week I am having a 32 week scan to check amniotic fluid, cord blood flow and growth. If I hadn't been diagnosed with preeclampsia she wouldn't have sent me for this scan as everything was otherwise looking ok so this is just a precaution. I think the group b strep swab comes around 34-36 weeks?
    If you're worried or just curious it doesn't hurt to ask for extra monitoring or at least explanation of what tests you are/aren't getting and why. If I wasn't having this scan this week I had it in the back of my mind to request a referral anyway as I haven't had a 'proper' scan since 20 weeks and just wanted to know how things were tracking! It's interesting how they all have their own protocols for tests/monitoring and sometimes you think how do you know everything's ok in there?! I agree we pay a lot for this service so if you ever want a bit extra just ask

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    @Ladydee: I had urine, iron, tyroid etc test at 8w. Normal 12w BT (not harmony) for NT. Glucose test to check my level after finished off steroid. I have a quick scan and BP check each time I visit. I think the next one would be 26w BT and then 34w vaginal swab.

I am now having shoulder pain by sleeping on the side. LOL. @TeamCarts: I haven't been able to feel the movement so I don't even know if bub is happy or unhappy at all. I think i might feel something last night when i laid down and paid attention to it. Certainly, nothing is strong enough for me to jump up saying that's it.

Thanks for the breast pump info. You ladies are so nice as compared to my friends. Last time, one friend judged me of wanting to go back to work early. This time, I asked another friend if she is/was using breast pump. She questioned me why I would want to do that and said I don't need it. Then, directed me to ask any parenting/pregnancy advices from her friend, who is now pregnant and i will meet at her house party. Oh.....she deliberately told me that her friend is IVF conceived. I found it offensive that I am being put on the "special" IVF friend list. I am not ashamed of doing IVF but I don't want to be reminded constantly that this bub is different and the fact that I can't conceive naturally.
    Sorry to hear about your judgmental friends bbhope that sucks. I bought the avent comfort manual pump today. My hope is to breastfeed but in case I need to express I got the manual pump to have on standby and also maybe after about 6-8 weeks when feeding is established I can express a couple of times a week so hubby can get involved in feeding/if I want time out from being the milk bar! I got the avent as a friend recommended it and it seems to suit what I want it for - occasional expressing.
    I too hate being tagged with the ivf 'special' banner. Sometimes people assume that just because you're pregnant from ivf you're super-neurotic about the pregnancy when really you're having the same issues/questions/anxieties as other mums!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Think in a different way, perhaps all my friends just being jealous that my DH wants to get involved more. LOL. DH is taking his share of parental leave. I was also thinking about a manual pump to save some $ but then realize DH will be with the bub two days a week when i return to work part time. So electrical one would be handy. Anyway, i still have plenty of time to think about this. Thanks for your suggestion!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladydee View Post
    H
    I've only one had 1 extra scan, and that was very early because I had a lung infection (they scanned all my organs). Other than the 12 & 20 weeks scans, my standard appointment consists of; peeing on a stick to check protein and glucose in urine, and a weight check (both of which I write down and provide to the OB). She checks my BP, checks the hear beat via doppler, does a fundal measurement, feels around and asks if I have any questions.

My glucose test was at 28 weeks (2 hour), and had some additional bloods taken to check levels for (I assume) iron, vit D, thyroid and whatever else they check. My vit D was low, and my thyroid borderline pre-preg so probably why she is checking. She does have an older scanning machine in the office, but I never get scanned.

I really want a 4D scan but DH shut me down. (I always thought they were SO creepy before it was my bub - go figure).

I know what you mean about blasé, I wondered the same about mine. But she is super busy and spoken highly of, so I'll trust those who have gone before me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (02-06-2015)