Closed Thread
Page 70 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    HI Ladies,

In regards to the changes to Parental Leave payment there is a long way to go before it is legislated, and that is assuming it passes legislation. There seems to be a lot of backlash over the announcement so who knows what it will look like by the time it makes it through parliament. So...if you are entitled to the G'ment parental leave I would imagine you would still be ok for now at least.
    @bbhope sorry to hear friends are judging you regarding your work situation. People return to work early/quickly for many reasons, the majority of those revolving around providing the best for their children, whether immediately or to prepare for their future. And afte what you've gone through to have a child, no one can question that your best interests are always going to be for that child.

AFM - had an obs appointment on Friday. Got some test results back. Mostly all good, no GD so yay for that, blood pressure was back up slightly but not cause for alarm. Fundal measurement was slightly up (but I'm overweight anyway so I guess that's to be expected???) anyway, she is sending me for another ultrasound next week to check babies size. So now I'm worrying I've got a big baby and she'll want to do a c-section and on and on the thoughts go. However, Ive put on barely 3kgs through this pregnancy (now 29 weeks) and at this stage some of that has to be actual baby weight. I lost nearly 6kgs early on in pregnancy so still weigh less than when I conceived. As a positive I get another good ultrasound to see bub.

Started decorating the nursery a bit and just had a call to say the cot is being delivered tomorrow so that kind of makes things a bit more real!!!!

Hope you're all doing well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Re: govt parental leave - must admit I don't understand all that either, but two things, 1) my six months maternity half-pay from my employer will go from end of July to end of Jan, so the govt one will still fit in before the cut-off July 2016, won't it?, or 2) I heard that you can actually take the govt parental leave at the same time as your employer pay, so I must look into that.

Essence... glad things are going pretty well. I think there are so many reasons to do / not to do a c-section, and from what my ob says, it seems the c-section question won't be decided until much closer to the time, so I've pretty much stopped worrying about that at the moment (I'm 24 weeks now).

Love hearing what others are doing with their nursery. We went to Bunnings the other day and picked up 30+ pink paint swatches - who would have thought there would be so many pinks from one company?!! Anyhow, we already have dark red curtains in that room so have decided to keep those, so half of the swatches were easily discarded as they didn't go with them. Then my Mum came over yesterday and together we've got them down to 6 swatches, so almost there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Ladydee the changes shouldn't effect us too much now for bubs due in a couple of months, depends on how ur taking ur pay, I have 11 weeks annual leave followed by 16 weeks government paid parental leave, then work's maternity leave which is 16 weeks but I'm taking it at half pay to get 32 weeks, so in my situation if I did take the maternity leave from work first I would miss out on the paid parental leave from the Government, but that is only cos I'm stretching my leave out. Also as @Essence08 has said it still has to pass legislation, and it looks very unpopular, I for one intend writing to my local mp to express my concerns (local mp is labor), I just find it so wrong even the suggestion that this will happen when we have been paying our taxes for years but when it comes to getting some back they are trying to stop it. Yes @MGC Bertie your government parental leave should be all paid before the July 2016 cut off. I'm lucky as I get to choose which leave I want first but as the government one has to be finished before baby turns one I was taking that first anyway cos the baby will be a few weeks past one when I return to work.
    @bbhope its wrong of people to judge ur situation, parents return to work at all different points and so many reasons as to why some return earlier than others, no two situations are the same and also some have to return to work before they would ideally want so nobody should be judged.

I had my glucose tolerance test today and an ultrasound for the diet and exercise in pregnancy trial I'm doing. Seeing my midwife tomorrow who should know how the glucose tolerance test went. Baby was quite cooperative for most of the ultrasound (which is unusual for him lol), but they said he's definitely a big baby, he is tall as well, and I am due for another scan for this trial at 36 weeks but may need one between to check there is no acceleration. Im currently 28+4 but the scan measurements are apparently more like that for a baby who is 29+3. He is definitely a boy, I wanted that clarified. At this stage he is head down, although that can change, and he was looking in the typical foetal position the way he curled up, although he had a hand over his face most of the time. I'm similar to you @Essence08 worrying now about a c-section, and I have only put on about 5kg this pregnancy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky1977 For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (12-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default IVF Babies due July/August/September 2015!

Hi ladies, will catch up reading tonight. So a quick post. @MGC Bertie: I didn't know that u can get govt parental leave paid at the same time when your employer is paying. Ie, if your employer paid leave is over, you can then take non paid leave and the govt will pay u out from the scheme with minimum wage but not at the same time. That's why I don't think I will ever use govt paid scheme because I have to return to work before contract end next year. Besides, once I take non paid, there would be a gap. I lose out all the "continual service" benefit.

I might be wrong about all these. I would be interested to hear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well ladies, I found out today that I have gestational diabetes. I had been told I was at risk of it as I'm having a big baby, also midwife said today that I was more vulnerable to getting it anyway cos I have pcos (even though it is only mild in my case) so I have a hormonal imbalance anyway. So I have to see the diabetic educator on Monday, they don't have to teach me how to test my blood sugar levels as I know anyway, will start checking them at work tonight anyway so I can begin monitoring straight away. The first line treatment is by diet and exercise (which the dietician told me my diet is pretty good), the next step would be medication, and as a last resort insulin. They don't want me going over, so would be inducing me on my due date if nothing has happened by then.

In terms of the leave I'm not sure if you can take the government leave at the same time as your employers leave, I'd be interested to know. I guess that most people wouldn't so that they could extend their leave a bit. If I find out I will certainly let you know.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF Babies due July/August/September 2015!

@Nicky1977 oh how crappy, sucks that you have GD hun. I do too. Been having to try & diet control, but it's so tough; I already exceeded my levels more times than I should have. So if I can't get it under control this week, then will have to start insulin. Which I think I'd prefer in a way, as watching everything you eat, and getting high readings despite eating well, is so stressful & frustrating.
    Hope you manage to control yours though without too much difficulty 😊
    Last edited by KayzB; 12-05-2015 at 18:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope you don't have to have the insulin@KayzB but as you said it may be better if it causes you less stress at least. I suppose that as we have done ivf we are used to the injections which will make insulin injections that bit less scary. It's very annoying though I expect that you are doing everything right with your diet and readings are still too high, no wonder your frustrated. I'm not sure whether in my case I will be handled differently ie in the way my blood sugars are monitored as I worked permanent night shifts which would have an impact on my readings in terms of differing from what is expected at certain times of day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Nicky1977 at the education class it was quite general - they didn't ask/go into people's individual situations etc; basically just told us what our daily fasting levels should be under, and what levels should be under after each meal (have to test 4x a day). Hopefully yours will be a bit more tailored so you're able to have a lil leeway ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember one of my colleagues has type 2 diabetes and when he was first diagnosed he was keeping records of his levels they told him they weren't what were expected at those times so he had to say remember I do permanent nights so it will be different. I suppose I just have to consider that when I'm on my nights at work getting up in the evening will be my fasting level, I will mention to them anyway about doing night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know if this varies by employer but I am getting paid maternity leave 18 weeks from my employer (at full salary) at the same time as the government 18 weeks minimum wage paid parental leave. I am actually taking a year off but figure it's no different for me getting paid both at once or after each other - I'll just save the extra $ in the bank for later in the year.
    Sorry to hear about the GD results Nicky hopefully an easy-ish management plan for you.