Closed Thread
Page 64 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gingermillie.... I'll be interested what you think about the Baby expo this weekend, as it's next in Sydney. I looked at the website about it, but was really confused as to whether I'd really get a lot out of it, when every store has websites nowadays that you can leisurely look at when at home. But do let us know if it's worth going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just finished the OB appt. At the beginning, I was a bit disappointed because he didn't want to do a scan today. DH came just to check on the bub. He always like scan! Anyway, I asked OB about the slow growth and placenta so he had to do a scan on me in the end. Sweet! So...OB machine always measures it on time (+1 day). As for the placenta, it is currently located in the front and low (next to the cervix!). However, i was told that not to worry just yet until the 20w scan.

Ya, interested in the baby expo as well. I see that they come to perth later on. That would be a good timing for me. However, looking at the date, boss is sending me out oversea that week. I haven't said anything and don't plan to do so until i can't hide the belly anymore. Ya, honestly, I am not sure i want to travel oversea in the third trimester.

Again, congrats on the baby girl, @MGC Bertie. I might be joining you. Who knows.....i am starting to make a guess.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (11-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, ladies,

sorry...it is me again asking questions.

I am torn between going public or private hospital.

Ok, the public system doesn't leave me with confident. The maternity ward of my local one (zoned) might be gone by the time baby is due. News was out in feb about the cut and tentative plan to move the entire department to a good maternity hospital nearby. It would have been good if they move it now. But who knows when. Cut means less service. I am trying to get into two nearby, good maternity hospitals. Unfortunately, I am not in the zone despite similar distance to my local one. My friend was a low risk case and did get in to one of them last year so am thinking to try my luck with the GP referral. I think OB referral might be conflict of interest........

When I called the first hospital, no one can answer my question about the gap. (Admitted as priv patient in public hospital.) My phone call was passed to N number of ppl. One lady was not willing to pass my phone call once she found out that I am outside the zone. Then, I tried another hospital. Only be told that the department was closed on fri and call back on Monday. I bet they were just busy. This doesn't leave me much confident.

So now, I am tempting to just stay with my OB. I got a fee sheet from my OB. Other than the appt and management fees, he is a no gap dr if I have priv health. While the fees seem ok, I am aware that they have no control of the charges from on call anaesthetist etc. Including paediatrician if needed. I think that's why my friend birth expenses blow out ($10k!). It would be at a small priv hospital, 45 mins from home. Quite far away. But I have been doing the intralipid. It is OK.

If only the management fee and appt fee + scans + extra BTs, we might be able to squeeze some more $ to get the service we want. We just have to cut expenses here and there and skip visiting DH family this summer. How many more OB visits do i need from now on? I am 13w. We are tight financially.

Other thing to consider, do u get free courses with priv hospital? Do you attend any? I know public hospital offers a range of courses for preparing the birth of the baby.

Does anyone know how much medicare rebate you get for the management fee this year? We have reached safety net.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF Babies due July/August/September 2015!

@bbhope hi hun, my OB appointments were every 4 weeks, then fortnightly from 20 weeks onwards. I'm not sure whether others have fortnightly though - I do because of twins. At some point it will increase to weekly.

I'm going to a public hosp so not sure about cost of courses at priv hosp. Although my friend went to a priv recently and I'm pretty sure she did have to pay.
    At my hosp it's about $150-200 depending what time session you attend (i.e the daytime sessions are cheaper than the 'peak' evening ones). They're done as a workshop format and cover about 6 different topics.

Re OB fees - mine doesn't charge anything per visit. There was the initial consultation fee (I think $150-200 not incl rebate). We've never had to pay anything for subsequent appointments. Then at 20wks we paid the management fee, with $500 back from Medicare.
    Last edited by KayzB; 11-04-2015 at 16:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @gingermillie yeah baby shopping is definitely overwhelming. I tend to approach it by looking at the Baby Bunting website first to kind of get a good idea of what's in store so I have an idea of what I'm looking at before I go. I usually also look at Babies r us website for comparison ie range of choice and price. Especially is for the Gepps Cross one Babies r us is there too so can easily go to both. Also that way I can keep an eye out for when something is on sale and save a bit of money that way.
    @bbhope not sure about private hospitals and costs etc. I'm lucky that I am in a very good public hospital, but looking at your situation it's a bit trickier, it would be good if they moved the maternity unit to the better hospital before your baby is due but if there is no set date it's impossible for you to plan. I saw a consultant at 16 weeks and will again in 10 days time (just before 26 weeks) just because of the spotting that I had a few weeks ago, but then again I'm not considered high risk apart from the IVF and have noticed that others seem to have more frequent appointments. I thought you would get some of your management fees back from Medicare if you have reached the safety net but couldn't say for certain.

I got some news a couple of days ago, I got accepted for Midwifery Group Practice, so from now on basically see the same midwife (or her reserve if she is on leave) for the rest of my pregnancy. So not constantly going in hospital for future ante natal visits, apart from obviously scans, unexpected events and the birth lol, but this is more individual, midwife visits me at home which is great for missing out on waiting in busy clinic constantly. It is also likely that this midwife will be able to attend the birth, which will be great having a midwife I know. I'm just waiting now to hear from her to discuss things further.

I am also finding recently that I'm sometimes getting rib pain just below my right breast. If it gets really bad I'm unable to lie on my left side, and have to turn to the right side or even sit up to ease the pain. I think it's just my diaphragm shifting to accommodate for baby growing. Funnily enough though it's worse when I have been working and seems to improve for days off!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky1977 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @KayzB:B: are you private patient in public hospital? Oh..didn't know that you also have to pay to attend courses at a public hospital.
    @Nicky1977: Oh...congrats on getting into the midwife program!! That's fantastic. I wish I have something like that.

Yes, my situation is a bit tricky. It would be good if they just move the maternity ward of my local hospital now! Then, I won't have to try my luck to get into one of the good maternity hospitals as i'll be automatically qualified. However, i think the govt is putting too much work load for this good maternity hospital (as part of the brand new state hospital). They are covering many suburbs so not sure about the service wise.

I already had 6 OB visits for the first trimester + 4 sessions of intralipid. Yes, I am seeing OB almost every week. We were happy with the close monitoring due to me having two continuous chemical pregnancies. I did have spotting early on. Anyway, the transition between priv to public doesn't seem to be straight forward. Everyone has to "fight" to see an OB and I feel a bit stupid to just give up my spot, especially he is a no gap OB (hard to find these days). Each OOP visit isn't that much but i just realized that it adds up quite a bit for the entire pregnancy. The reality is that if we can't afford, we can't. We already paid $2800 OOP so far (intralipid doesn't attract medicare rebate!) We will have another 3 weeks to decide if we are staying with him or move on. I need to call the priv health to find out if baby is covered in case he/she needs the nursery, pead service etc. If it isn't, the answer is fairly clear to us.

Thank you for replying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well ladies I went along to the Parenting and Baby Expo today. Well worth a visit when it comes to your cities. I picked up so much info and many leaflets, it will take ages to read them all. Also entered so many competitions that were free to enter, I can't even remember what I entered lol. One of the photography exhibitors said there are less people then normal cos this time they have chosen to do it during school holidays so a lot of people were away which she didn't think was the best time. I was talking to one of the photographers about best time to have pregnancy photos done and was got told 34 weeks cos your bump is nice and big and hasn't yet dropped. Ended up buying the Oricom value bap that has both the baby sense breathing monitor and the digital video/audio baby monitor. I had seen it before in Baby Bunting and Babies r us and have been keen as I know what I'm like and probably will be constantly waking to check baby breathing, at least with a bit of peace of mind I might sleep better. It was also $80 cheaper than normal, I had been waiting to find it on discount so took my chance today. I also got some Gaia natural skin care products for both me and baby, for me some belly butter and nipple balm, and for baby skin soothing lotion, and a set with sleeptime bath with lavender and a bouple of body washes - they gave me for free a pack of bamboo baby wipes and numerous free little sample packs. There were also some parenting workshops/ seminars, one on how to care for a newborn, doing nappies, swaddling, settling etc - although that will all be covered again in parenting classes. Lol though after being there for a good few hours I came home and promptly had a 2 hour nanna nap (in the normally best trimester lol).
    @bbhope I think your situation is a bit complicated then someone like me especially with having to have all the OB visits and the intralip as well. I guess it depends how many OB appointments it is anticipated that you will need from now on. I think a lot of your decision will be based on what the private health say your baby is covered for. In terms of attending courses at a public hospital I can tell you that at the one I am attending the courses are all free. Although I can't vouch for every public hospital, cos I remember hearing not all of these courses in South Australia are free, but they are at the hospital I am attending. I presume they are generally free in the bigger public hospitals. I have already booked in for my parenting classes, officially named Antenatal Labour and Parenting Series Topics. It is basically split into 4 topics, so either 4 separate classes that are two hours and you choose a day between Monday to Thursday or do an all day workshop on Saturday. I am doing the all day workshop when I will be just over 34 weeks and have just finished work, otherwise its 4 weeks and I would be having to request shifts as I would still be at work for a couple of them, this way works better. So the topics are Caring for your new baby and early parenting, Labour and active birth, Birth intervention, Practical skills for Labour. All sounds really good anyway. There are also informal breastfeeding session that are 2 hours once a week that I can attend from 34 weeks, don't have to book for that. So I'm really happy with the hospital and all they offer. And getting into the Midwifery Group Practice was great as there are limited spaces, I was turned down initially but then a space came up, at my first antenatal midwife visit I was told the chances of getting in aren't too high but that I might as well cos if you don't try you don't get, so I still can't believe it. Let us know when you have made a decision about it all, its just a shame you are not in the right zone for a good public hospital then the decision would be so much easier!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky1977 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, I know it's been a long time since Ive posted on here but just had a quick scan through some of the recent posts as a read from the sidelines. My little one is almost 10 months old now!! Where does the time go?? Congrats to you all for getting this far and very exciting news for you who have found out the genders of your babies.
    @bbhope I went privately for my birth last year and plan to do so again when we go for number 2. I just loved my obs and the quality of care I was given. It really depends on what you are after but I know with the public hospital we have here that they try and get you out the door and home the day you give birth. I, on the other hand, was still living in up in a double bed (so hubby could stay) and my own bathroom in the hospital. The meals were delish and the thought of sharing a bathroom with others post pregnancy would be enough to make me want to run out the hospital doors as soon as bub was born. It's really a personal choice but there was no way I would have been ready to go home with a new baby any earlier than the few days I had in hospital to prepare me. They had some free courses available during the hospital stay to help you care for bub and I also had access to a free lactation consultant, which was so invaluable! I was expecting a huge bill in the mail for her services as I spent so much time with her and it would have been worth the cost but it was all included. Here is a rough estimate of my costs if it helps you and the other ladies.

Initial obs consultation fee : $150 (Medicare covered about $90 of this as we were over the safety net from doing Ivf)
    Ultrasound fees: 12wks, 20wks plus the 3d one I had at 25wks but I think most people pay for these regardless of private/ public
    Pregnancy management fee: $2200 (Medicare covered just under $500 of this, which is the maximum)
    My obs bulk bills all other appointments. I was having appointments once a month until I hit 30wks then fortnightly until 36wks then weekly from there. The obs set the routine of how many appointments and how often. I got a scan at every appointment and it didn't cost me anything. I had friends going through public who didn't have any scans between 12 weeks and 20 weeks and then none again until 36 weeks, that would have driven me insane. I had countless ones in that time.
    Prenatal classes: around $200 total
    Hospital fees: $100 per night I stayed (not covered by Medicare). I opted for a $100 excess with my private health to lower my premium so that part will vary depending on your cover

There were no other costs so all up, I was around $2400 out of pocket.
    My anaesthetist was free- since my obs was available for my delivery (no on holidays, etc), we calls in his anaesthetist and it was all bulk billed- not sure if that's how all obs do it but that's what happened to other people I know who used other local obs also. The paed told me to expect a bill from her but since I'd reached my safety net for Medicare, she said the out of pocket expense would only be about $30. I never got the bill- she must have thought she could spare the $30!
    My obs also charges $90 for the post pregnancy check (which is also claimable by Medicare) but as an added bonus, they bulk billed that too. I have a feeling they do that a lot as it probably enhances their repeat business and word of mouth.

Anyway sorry for the novel but I hope this helps!
    @Ladydee I hope everything is ok with your placenta Hun! Thinking of you and hope you get some piece of mind soon
    Last edited by Annerley; 12-04-2015 at 23:35.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annerley For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (13-04-2015),MGC Bertie  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope - I went through this decision not long ago (I'm 24 weeks today). I was gobsmacked to learn OB's weren't covered under private healthy (I'm from Canada, so just assumed if I was paying 250 a month for the privilege of private health, EVERYTHING was covered.) Anyway... Ultimately we (I) decided to go private since this is our first and I have no idea what to expect. If this birth is uneventful, I'll probably go public for our second, which (anecdotally) I hear is quite common.

My obs fee is 3900, and I got 500 back from Medicare. Pretty exy, but we're in metro Melbourne, and compared to the other fellow recommended to me (his fee was 6K!) this was reasonable. No idea if we'll get hit with other fees, but lets hope not.

Also, when we sent in the paperwork for the hospital, they recommended we register for a few classes. All were free, with the exception of one for grandparents. That said, my mom is a labour & delivery nurse, and will (hopefully) be here for the birth (unless bub is really late) so I have a free "teacher" for a lot. I'm very lucky.

Truthfully, I've given up on any sort of budget for this baby. I have blown each and every budget I set for myself and have given up caring. It's our first - if we're going to go all out, now may as well be the time.

Otherwise, so wonderful to see new people on here and so much good news.

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Anneley and @lileitak. Ya, I won't be in such a headache if it isn't due to $ being so tight. I think we have heart set on priv for now unless it turns into high risk which gets me into good public hospital automatically anyway. As much as i would like to get into the best WA maternity hospital (outside the catchment unfortunately), i sure hope not becoming high risk. My OB doesn't bulk billed so each appt costs some $ OOP. I'd have 6 appts during first trimester. The frequency is less now but we are still looking at ~10 more appts until full term. Pregnanc/parenting classes aren't free for the two priv hospitals i look at. FX that it is an uneventful pregnancy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

ilex  (14-04-2015)