+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Though I'd recommend that the first thing that you should do is go back to your doctor (or a different one if you're not happy with your current drs management of it), and have tests done to see whether you are insulin resistant or not. If you are, then that would explain some of the difficulty with weightloss, and metformin may be able to help with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might be a bit off here but if you don't have an appetite and therefore duramine won't help, then you could always try taking vitamin supplements, I saw years ago that certain nutrients and minerals can make you extract the best from your food. Anyway worth a go if you don't already use them. I take vitamins and find I don't get as sick as I would without them so they can't be all bad.

As for duramine, I was on and off it years ago. So were a fair few of my friends. It worked for weight loss in the first few weeks, which is great. But I found that it was a bit like what I would imagine speed to be, makes you almost forget about eating altogether and you feel really happy when you take it. Then if you don't take it you get really depressed and come down off it. Back then they had it in 3 levels, 10, 15 and 30. If I took a 30 I would have trouble sleeping and the coming down off them was shocking, I felt really depressed. I also had weird heart palpitations a couple of times so went into the 10 only. I think dr's don't love to prescribe it too much or for too long because it can get really addictive and from my and my friends experience after the first few weeks just works more like a party drug and plays with your emotions/mood/sleep more than it helps to lose weight.

Also I think when it is out of your system, your appetite and habits come straight back so really you learn nothing from taking it. That said, I am a firm believer in 'if it is exciting and motivating for you right now, then it will probably help you to succeed. As soon as it isn't working for you, change up your plan' with duramine, I would just try to make sure you stay on it for only a short time, and have a healthy eating plan to jump to as soon as you stop it cos you appetite will be back with a vengeance.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2015 For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (16-01-2015),~ElectricPink~  (15-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I've found my body has a very fine line between losing weight and famine mode. I'm constantly on a low-carb diet similar to that of Tony Ferguson as I have had varying degrees of insulin resistance over the years. I have been on diabex in the past but my doctor knows that I'm self-disciplined and wants me to try and go without it.

I always feel as though people must think I eat lots of junk food and don't exercise due to the extra weight I'm carrying. I exercise at least 5 days a week. So over people who simply say "I just stopped eating bread and junk food and it fell off" - well, that's lovely, but they must have had a great metabolism to begin with!

Do any of you get frustrated with what others say?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay. I've decided. Thank you for this thread op.

I think I want to give duromine a try as I am so over it all.

Question 1:

Tell me - the good, the bad and definitely the ugly - what bad side effects are there?

Question 2:

My regular doctor is away for at least another month - I can see a different one. How do I ask for it?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (22-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    Okay. I've decided. Thank you for this thread op.

I think I want to give duromine a try as I am so over it all.

Question 1:

Tell me - the good, the bad and definitely the ugly - what bad side effects are there?

Question 2:

My regular doctor is away for at least another month - I can see a different one. How do I ask for it?
    So to answer your first question......
    The good: For me, the massive energy boost has been very beneficial, it makes it much easier to actually find the energy to work out, and I don't feel so fatigued after doing so. It has completely stopped any emotional or boredom eating, and therefore helped to make more sensible and healthy food choices since it takes away the food cravings. It is also fantastic to actually see the results, watch the numbers in the scale go down, and am starting to have a lot more confidence as a result

The bad: You really need to FORCE yourself to eat during the day, because it is too easy to forget to. In the beginning I would forget, and then end up extremely burnt out as I was just not consuming enough calories. The side effects for the first week or so were also pretty crappy, had a LOT of problems sleeping, felt very emotional, would get bad headaches and feel shaky (mainly I think due to not eating enough). I don't have any of those issues now, apart from the occasional emotional outburst. Also having a few issues with constipation (sorry may be TMI). Also is very expensive, $120 per month.

The ugly: If you are prone to depression, you need to be really really careful. Can make depression worse whilst adjusting. Has made me a bit more irritable at times, and have had a few moments where I have been a lot angrier about certain things which would not normally set me off as much.

Overall, whilst I have had a few issues with it, and it certainly isn't without it's side effects, for me it has been well worth it.

Question 2....it might be best off to wait until you see your regular doctor, as they are aware of your medical history and can be sure whether it is safe for you to take. Although that said.....I actually obtained my script from a different GP that I'd seen a few times on other occasions rather than my regular GP, as I suspected that she wouldn't prescribe it as she generally tries to avoid medicating. I went in to this other doctor and said that I really needed some help with my weight, as it was starting to severely affect me, and I was worried with my family history of diabetes and heart disease. He weighed and measured me, and my BMI was 32, which is in the obese category. He referred me to a dietitian, and then actually suggested himself that I might be a good candidate for duromine, and went on to explain it to me. I was kind of glad that he suggested it, as I was nervous about asking. But I think that the best approach would just be to make an appointment, discuss your weight concerns, and then enquire about whether duromine might be a good option for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ~ElectricPink~ For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (22-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    So to answer your first question......
    The good: For me, the massive energy boost has been very beneficial, it makes it much easier to actually find the energy to work out, and I don't feel so fatigued after doing so. It has completely stopped any emotional or boredom eating, and therefore helped to make more sensible and healthy food choices since it takes away the food cravings. It is also fantastic to actually see the results, watch the numbers in the scale go down, and am starting to have a lot more confidence as a result

The bad: You really need to FORCE yourself to eat during the day, because it is too easy to forget to. In the beginning I would forget, and then end up extremely burnt out as I was just not consuming enough calories. The side effects for the first week or so were also pretty crappy, had a LOT of problems sleeping, felt very emotional, would get bad headaches and feel shaky (mainly I think due to not eating enough). I don't have any of those issues now, apart from the occasional emotional outburst. Also having a few issues with constipation (sorry may be TMI). Also is very expensive, $120 per month.

The ugly: If you are prone to depression, you need to be really really careful. Can make depression worse whilst adjusting. Has made me a bit more irritable at times, and have had a few moments where I have been a lot angrier about certain things which would not normally set me off as much.

Overall, whilst I have had a few issues with it, and it certainly isn't without it's side effects, for me it has been well worth it.

Question 2....it might be best off to wait until you see your regular doctor, as they are aware of your medical history and can be sure whether it is safe for you to take. Although that said.....I actually obtained my script from a different GP that I'd seen a few times on other occasions rather than my regular GP, as I suspected that she wouldn't prescribe it as she generally tries to avoid medicating. I went in to this other doctor and said that I really needed some help with my weight, as it was starting to severely affect me, and I was worried with my family history of diabetes and heart disease. He weighed and measured me, and my BMI was 32, which is in the obese category. He referred me to a dietitian, and then actually suggested himself that I might be a good candidate for duromine, and went on to explain it to me. I was kind of glad that he suggested it, as I was nervous about asking. But I think that the best approach would just be to make an appointment, discuss your weight concerns, and then enquire about whether duromine might be a good option for you.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer the questions. Part of me is feeling like I'd be 'cheating' if I was to take it so I think I would keep it just between DH and I if I was to try it. I'm so tired all the time now even though I've put on weight since getting home. I'm on reduced calories and eating low-gi and it's really not making sense. Even DH is dumbfounded as to what my body is doing as he's been home on holidays and seen everything I do.

Our doctor isn't back for another month yet. I bought one new top last week and want to grab another couple tomorrow with the kids - I was too tired to take them out to grab them today and then thought I'd go tonight but I'm still feeling really tired.

Will wait for my own doctor though as you have suggested as I do have a few underlying health issues that I may have to consider. I too, have a family history of T2 Diabetes and am currently still in the overweight category.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also wondering why she'd be happy for me to go off and have the 'hcg treatment' which not many have heard of as compared to duromine. If the hcg treatment is just supposed to make me feel too sick to eat - I put on heaps of weight when I was pregnant and hcg did not seem to help there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think she may have suggested the hcg treatment as it's a little bit more natural I guess....although I don't really know much about it myself, so no advice with that one.

Definitely best to wait until you can see your regular GP if you have underlying health issues or are on other medications, as they can be conflicting. I probably didn't take the safest option by going to a different GP - although at that point I was just completely frustrated and just really really wanted to take action. My current GP now knows that I am on duromine, and while not supportive of it, is making to sure to review things like my heart and blood pressure whilst on it, which the other GP hasn't bothered with- he was pretty slap-happy to just write out the prescription.

I haven't really told many people that I am on duromine, as I feel the same way too....a lot of people feel like it's cheating. But I don't feel that way in regards to it at all. For me, it has been effective in reducing my weight and established a healthier lifestyle, which I know that I'll maintain once I am off the duromine. I've always been off/on in regards to exercise and diet, I'd try really hard for awhile, see little to no results and then just give up. Whereas now I'm actually seeing the results, which encourages me to work harder and stay focused on my goal, because now I know that I actually WILL get there. Yes, there are healthier ways to lose that weight, but if those methods don't work or you find it hard to stick to initially, then it's worth looking into other options.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ~ElectricPink~ For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (23-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also thought I'd add- your doctor might want to run some tests beforehand to make sure that there are no underlying causes for the struggle to lose weight and for the tiredness. Have you had your thyroid checked? It does sound a little bit that that could be a possible factor? In general though, I've found that excess weight really does fatigue you! I'm actually wondering whether I might have chronic fatigue syndrome or something though, I've had a couple of days off duromine due to not having the money to get a new box, and I've been feeling so fatigued again, uggggh! Dr has checked my thyroid and run other tests, no obvious causes so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How many calories are you having and are you eating regularly? Maybe try upping them just a little bit and see if that helps with energy levels?