+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 week old sleep

Hi everyone..I have a 3 week old that doesn't sleep. When I put him down for a sleep he will close his eyes for 2mins and then wake. The most he will do would be 25mins. He doesn't go straight to sleep either it can take a while. I have tried putting to bed later and earlier and different wraps. I have rang tressillian and spoken to CHN and they said I'm doing everything they would suggest to do. I guess I'm looking fot sny advice or to see that I'm not alone! I also have a 4yr daughter. He is formula fed and has a dummy.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You are not alone!!!! My bub is a little older now so we are mostly past the stressing about bubs sleep stage so I just wanted to also remind you that it DOES get better. Promise.
    When I was pregnant I was mentally prepared for feeding to be difficult but I hadn't really thought too much about sleep. Well didnt I get a rude shock!!! Whoever decided to use the phase "sleeping like a baby" to describe lots of peaceful sleep was NOT a parent!!!
    I read this the other day and thought it sounded similar to the things that eventually helped us. It might strike a cord with you.... Or it might not. Different things works differently for different families and bubs and I think that's why it's hard to find good support and advice. Good luck x

http://www.*******.com.au/three-gold...baby-to-sleep/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Will be sleep on you? Perhaps put something of yours that has your scent on it in his cot? Have you got a swing seat or something like that? White noise sometimes works as well.
    I found with my DD if I slept in a singlet the next day I'd put it in her cot/bassinet and that sometimes worked. White noise baby app is really good too, DD still likes that what she's over tired. Or like I said a swing chair or something?
    Hope you can get him to sleep

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah will sleep on me if I hold to sleep. Might take a while but if I try to transfer he wakes straight away or within minutes. I have a rocker and swing but he's not fussed and will cry in them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was an easy sleeper as a newbie compared to DS. Without boring you with all of the details, I found that he would have his big sleeps in his vibrating sling chair (Fisher Price one) or his baby swing. He transitioned from these at around 4-5w into big sleeps in his basinette, I had to 'chock up' his head end of the mattress with a folded towel underneath. He didn't sleep completely flat and in a cot in his own room until around 7-8w.

Try out a few different things, whatever works for you and bubs! You need a few good chunks of sleep too!!

*** forgot to add... I would settle DS in my arms but have wheatbags heating up whatever I was about to put him into, it was much easier to keep him relaxed if he is put into a warm place rather than a cold one.
    Last edited by Que Sera; 01-11-2014 at 15:34. Reason: Bit about wheat bag

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Babys and sleep is so difficult! My DD is 10 weeks old now and what worked when she was 3 and 4 works doesn't work anymore and things I tried then that didn't work are working now.. its incredibly hard...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RAV2014 View Post
    Yeah will sleep on me if I hold to sleep. Might take a while but if I try to transfer he wakes straight away or within minutes. I have a rocker and swing but he's not fussed and will cry in them.

How long are you holding him once he falls asleep?

The 2 reasons most bubs do this is a. They're still hungry or uncomfortable ( temp, dirty nappy, gas, need to burp) b. They're still in the lighter REM sleep so aren't in a deep enough sleep. They usually need to be asleep for 20 minutes before they're in a deep sleep so wait until then to put them down.

The heat pack and clothes with your scent are also really helpful as a pp mentioned too.

Our Family is now complete.
    Welcome DS The 'Easy One' 28.09.2014.
    Feisty and Independent DD 02.03.2012
    DH 36
    L'il ol Me 31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had issues with putting my dd down when I got home from the hospital. Same thing, as soon as I put her down she was awake and cried until I picked her up. I went and seen the child health nurse who said to put a piece of clothing from both me and DH and to heat up her bassinet with a heat pack before putting her in. It worked a treat!! I also used one of those zip up swaddles which was amazing as well 😀

After a few weeks she was used to sleeping in her bassinet, sometimes with the 'shhhing encouragement' and would sleep 1-1.5hrs at a time during the day.

Good luck and I hope both you and bub get some sleep soon xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Yes I hold him for longer than 20mins but he still wakes. Might just have to give in and hold him for his sleeps..

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI Rav, sorry to hear you are having problems with your little boy getting some sleep. My boy had similar issues the first few weeks, but from about 4 weeks he started to settle down and sleep a little better. I dont think we tried anything different specifically that worked, but had tried a lot of the suggestions above. But for us I think it was just a case of him getting used to his bassinette and sleep hours and growing into it.

Good luck!