+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks sonja. Its good to hear from others with similar training backgrounds.you never know I might be saying the same thing as you are once I have my baby or babies. They seem like a handful, my nieces and nephews are but I think it would be a whole lot different when they are yours..maybe more wrinkles and bags under your eyes hahaha. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to workout 6 days a week including running, cycling, classes. We had one unplanned pregnancy which put a lot of strain on my pelvic floor whilst I was unaware - it went from being great post baby number 3 to giving way slightly during high impact so I knew something was up then. Went and saw the physio and she thought my pelvic floor was great for a person who may have only had one baby, let alone 4 at the time. Ultimate test is tuck jumps. Be mindful of your abdominal muscles as you don't want that separating any more than what it might.

I kept exercising even whilst I was in early labour with our last. Did have bleeding issues though due to my body wanting to reject bubs so between that, a mc and injury the month prior to last pregnancy and my IR, I packed on a lot of weight due to being banned from exercising for a couple of months earlier on.

I feel grosse if I don't exercise and I find as a mum I tend to feel more energised and can keep on the go for the rest of the day getting much more done if I start with a workout in the mornings. I find I need the strength that a workout out provides as we're always lifting or carrying or being a contortionist. Having a strong core helps protect your back and exercising also assists those pelvic floor muscles to strengthen up again. Just be careful whilst pregnant though - go low impact and remember that your ligaments and joints like your hips aren't as stable or strong as they usually are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my Fallopian tube removed 3 weeks ago for the ectopic pregnancy so at the moment just recovering from that. We prob will cycle again in jan but it will just be an FET as we have some frosties.

I was always told whatever you do prior to pregnancy you can continue with which is great... Until you add IVF! I agree with @littleTed I feel horrible if I don't exercise and get quite grumpy I did continue running and playing touch rugby and also boxing but just took it easier. I think next time I will cycle instead of run.

I think the spin classes would be fine to do just need to watch heart rate and temp though cause those rooms get stinking! I bought a hybrid bike so I could ride on and off road instead so it would be better for temp. I personally like to ex outside much more also.

The runs I think early on you may not even feel like it so just be prepared to feel frustrated I really underestimated also how tired the drugs make you and bloated! I looked about 4mths preg within a week both times. I respond really well though. I also (bit embarrassing) had a few issues with my pelvic floors when I was overstimulated- if I sneezed the pressure of my ovaries pushed on my bladder... And I have good pelvic floors app too!! My DH thought it was hilarious as I would suddenly clutch my crutch when I sneezed !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was told by pelvic floor specialized physio to stop running very early on. Even if you are not showing your uterus is much bugger and heavier than normal and will put great pressure on your pelvic floor.

Just think of it as a big stone sitting on a trampoline for 9 months and getting bigger everyday. You wouldn't want to bounce it on the trampoline if you are trying to keep the trampoline somewhat tensed.

Any activities like swimming, walking, cycling/spinning etc is fine.

Same after birth, pelvic floor retraining is a MUST.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to train a lot pre-pregnancy. 6 days per week and most of the time twice per day with one lighter session and a heavier session. I was doing IVF for two years and over that time the training slowed down, it was gradual so I didn't notice it as much. Then I fell pregnant and bled most of the pregnancy, and after two years of IVF I didn't want to risk anything so all I did was light walking.
    I had a prolapse after the birth so I never really got back into training and will probably never run again. Now I have two children I'm so so busy all the time I just don't have time to even think about exersize. Funny thing is I'm completely content with it. I've gone from training twice per day to nothing at all, and I'm ok with it and not fazed. Life changes and so do priorities and for me I'm happy getting my exersize running after the kiddies. When they start school and I get some more free time I'll maybe get back into more but for now I'm enjoying the lack of training :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have always been a long distance walker and a jogger, love my treadmill also and done weights and water aerobics but I'm certainly not obsessive and I do it because I like it not because I feel I have to. Once pregnant I decided to take it easy with the exercise and have been comfortable with my decision to ease off throughout pregnancy. During all my pregnancies I have limited my exercise to walking and swimming only and have had bounced back to pre baby body soon after birth no problems. I'm 6 weeks post my 3rd baby now and I started weights, cardio, swats and sit-ups a week ago. Now I'm a SAHM for 12 months I am going to start yoga and Pilates in my lounge room with my DVDs this week
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 02-11-2014 at 13:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by jasminecook85 View Post
    Thanks sonja. Its good to hear from others with similar training backgrounds.you never know I might be saying the same thing as you are once I have my baby or babies. They seem like a handful, my nieces and nephews are but I think it would be a whole lot different when they are yours..maybe more wrinkles and bags under your eyes hahaha. Thanks for sharing

Before I had my kids exercise was my hobby. My job was full one but I still did spinning 4 times a week, weights 3 times and running 4 times a week. I would never have imagined I'd be content to not move, and when I had a high risk pregnancy and was told I couldn't even walk for 20 weeks I was devastated. I don't exercise for appearance reasons but because I loved how it made me feel.

But you do adapt. Having kids just changes things. Remember it's only 9 months (seems like an eternity) but the damage you can do to you body by over doing the exercise can be permanent. It sounds like you are being very sensible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Little Ted excuse my ignorance but what is IR? Sounds like you have had it tuff. of I domt excercise I feel gross too amd I will keep in mind the tuckjumps.how would you limit your chances of abdominal muscles separating?
    My core and back are prettt strong deadlifting 80-100kg atm though I find if I put on 3kilos I get lower back pain and thats only with a small belly bump so I hope I can survive a big bump!from reading everyones posts amd books low impact, cool environment and keeping heart rate down seems the wat to go.cos im pretty fit I think I will still get satisfied within those limits.i will just change my workouts to higher reps 15-20 rather than bigger load and smaller rep range 8-12.
    @Excited1 sorry to hear about your ectopic pregnancy.i didnt realise the whole tube gets removed.must of been pretty bad fx for your FET. Yep its a rude shock isnt it, thanks ivf! From reading all the posts seems like cycling is alot better on the body!
    I have spin bike at home bit scared to ridw on roads but thats my goal after baby cos I want to compete in triathlon.running is awesome outside.my morming treat running pass the beaches but will have to walk or cycle at the gym in the aircon as temp here gets to mid 20s by 7am.thanks tropical queensland!
    Thanks for heads up on the bloating, I knew there could be some fluid retention but not that much! That must of been freaky! And the sneezing, I wouldnt want to shart at the same time haha
    @ExcuseMyFrench thanks the best description on pelvic floor muscles so far! @Brulee thanks for sharing.i didnt realise how much pregnancy can change someone amd someones body.im glad your content and happy
    @Kimberlygal1 I am the same as you I do it cos I like it.if I was told that I never had to train again and wpuld be given abs ect I would still train cos it makes me feel happy.my thoughts may change once I have kids though in a good way.what is SAHM.woohoo for the yoga and pilates. I start them both tomorrow for the next 2 weeks!
    @Sonja thanks girl! Im the same I love how it makes me feel but im starting to think that "babies" change everything and in a good way )

Thanks
    Reviews
    IR = insulin resistance (like pre-diabetes) It's a fine juggling act of eating low-gi and low cal without going into famine mode. Makes me want to smash my head against a brick wall. They never did the 2 hour gestational diabetes test and I really think they should have considering my 1 hour test came back with a reasonably high reading whilst eating low-gi.

Be gentle with your pelvic floor on the other side after birth too. Take the six weeks without pounding on it and come back slowly. I usually find I can do star jumps at about 3-4 months after birth. Haven't had long enough between births to attempt tuck jumps yet! With ab muscles I was fortunate that mine have come back in after our last bub - they were also pulled apart with our unplanned pregnancy. Very frustrating after I'd taken so much care not to damage anything during my previous three pregnancies. Some women's muscles don't come back in through no fault of their own. Apparently there are exercises one can do but I haven't come across them. There might be a physio on bub hub that could answer that one for you.

I had one older lady approach me at the gym and told me I should only be lifting half kilo dumbells. I think she was living in a perfect world where I wouldn't have to lift my 15-20kg children or groceries, vacuum, etc. Maybe she did all those things for her daughters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe they could tell that you are really discpilined with your eating so thought that you could manage it well enough.but still, I would of been slightly concerned too.
    People have still got the old ways embedded in their heads.in something my mum would say.i had to tell her to stop talking to me about training all together. She just kept saying jasmine you must do nothing.and dont be so strict with food.use to get so angry but now it just goes in one ear and out the other plus its not a subject that comes up anymore since I told her to stop.