+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pregnant mums to be or mums that are elite athletes

Hi, thought I start this thread for other mums to be or mums that are elite athletes or train vigorously at least 6times a week so we can talk about how you are dealing with the emotional side of not training as hard or if you are training hard still please share I would love to know as I want to try and keep the same training intensity and the amount I do it a week.

I don't want to lose my fitness but of course I would put the baby's health first.just not much research out there. I am Ivf so have been told now and up til I am 5weeks pregnant that I cannot run and keep to walking yoga swimming. Once I'm pregnant it's a normal low risk pregnancy so up until then I will keep it moderate but after that I want to run my 10km runs and strength train and do my cross fit

I have read first trimester body temperature increases u don't want to cook the baby so avoid overheating. Your heart rate increases too and keep the heart rate at 140 which I can do on a slow run/jog. Anyone else follow this or did you just continue all the way through like sprints and have heart rate up at max. Like 180.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too train a lot and whilst doing IVF have become extremely cranky from not being able to exercise how or as much as if like to!

I am a big runner, boxer, weights etc during the stimming, I tried running but felt really heavy and uncomfortable. I did do a few boxing and weights etc but at prob half the intensity and I did watch my temp.

Instead I've taken up cycling which is pretty gentle on the ol ovaries and I still feel like I'm working out a bit. I was advised by my sports physician to definitely not run long distances or do cross fit - this was due to the strain it puts on the pelvic floor muscles. He said that it wouldn't matter how I gave birth later but it would be the intense exercise that would ruin them! I also heard the from the FS who knows I like to exercise.

Is there anything else you are interested in doing? Like paddling or cycling or swimming etc??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I ran 20km every weekend before I was pregnant with my first baby. Even after I was pregnant (through ivf) I kept up with very slow running but I was heavily pregnant through winter so I guess it was just easier. I found when j had subsequent babies in autumn I just didn't feel I was capable of it with the heat

I did find it hard to adjust to going from running long distances to just vigorous walking. With my second pregnancy I bled throughout the first trimester so wasn't allowed to do anything. I found that very depressing.

I knew someone who exercised heavily through her pregnancy and her daughter was born with lazy eyes that the OB thought could have been linked. I lost contact with her after her baby was born so I never found out if it resolved or what happened.

It's been a battle for me after each pregnancy to regain my fitness as I just don't have time. My kids have never been happy to sit in a pram for ages while I walked or ran. If you can get them to do that it makes it easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I certainly wouldn't consider myself an elite athlete!! But I did my first triathlon the month before falling pregnant this time and used to run at least 5km most days.

I completely stopped everything when I fell pregnant as I suffered a placenta abruption last pregnancy and didn't want to risk anything. I'm already signed up through 'Peak Pregnancy' to get into shape post birth, I believe they offer services during pregnancy as well (the woman who runs it is a midwife and personal trainer).

Good luck with your pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Excited1 so do u reckon ot would be safe to run ling distances up until I start to show 25weeks roughly as I think there wouldnt be much weight to strain the pelvic floor musckes up until then.thats if im feeling right and low risk. I hope my pregnancy doesnt make me feel heavy uncomfortable, took my first injection last night. Im still training intense but I think I will back off in 2 days and do what my ivf clinic told me to do. I already had cycling as a substitute to running if that fails. How many weeks pregnant are you?
    I train nearly twice a day 6 days a week sometimes even 10days then a day off so I hear everyones pain! @Sonja are you close to your prepregnancy fitness level? Can u get your partner to look after the kids in the morning or get up earlier and go for a run? @GM01 sorry to hear about your first pregnancy that would of been awful and I think as much as it would make me feel like ****, I would of stopped training as well for my next.i will look up peak pregancy thanks.

I have also bought 3 books running& pregnancy, the pregnancy athlete and pregnancy without weight. I read all 3 as samples first and they look really good. All athletes or just the norm that like to train on a regular basis, all mums, all share experiences and have sports physiotherapists recommendations ect on training and pregnant.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by jasminecook85 View Post
    @Sonja are you close to your prepregnancy fitness level? Can u get your partner to look after the kids in the morning or get up earlier and go for a run?
    With 4 kids it's all hands on deck in the morning. Even getting up at 530 leaves little wriggle room for getting out of the house by 8. I did boot camp a few mornings a week a few years ago but it was too rushed. I've just weaned my youngest so will start looking into it again.

TBH I don't really have a strong desire to get back to the level of exercise I did before kids. I want to be fit and healthy so I can do plenty of things with my kids but beyond that I'm actually pretty happy with the balance I'm in at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Sonya before you had your kids, did you ever think you would be so content without training or not training as much as you did before kids..its just that ive heard that so much, that once you have kids everything changes, I just didnt think they meant training too.. People tell me, do you even want kids?! of course I want kids I wouldnt be going through all these blood tests and starting ivf if I didnt!I must sound so selfish but its hard to give up on something that you have always done and that makes you feel so good.its my happy pill

Thanks
    Reviews
    @jasminecook85 I guess it depends what you call long distance? What's your normal training and when? I know you said twice a day but exactly what do you do when?

I have done 2 IVF cycles, both BFP - first one mc at 6w and most recent ended with an ectopic at 7+3. For both of these cycles what I found is that because of the drugs it was painful to run- first because your ovaries are heavy and you get so bloated, then when I was preg the progesterone made my boobs hurt and they got massive so quickly.

Any increase in either uterus size or in ovaries will put pressure on your pelvic floor muscles (so pretty much from the start) so it depends if you are willing to take the risk of having probs later on. They do say to def not run/intense exercise while the ovaries are big to avoid ovarian torsion (twisting) so during stimming until first scan where they can check if your ovaries are back to normal size.

I also don't feel the same about exercise that I did before getting 2 BFPs. Now my main aim is to be healthy and just get a take home baby! So whilst I still train every day with maybe one day off, if I don't feel well because of the drugs I go for a walk or a cycle instead. I went for my first run yesterday after having a tube removed and had to stop numerous times as it was still painful. I don't beat myself up anymore, my biggest goal now is not to do a triathlon or a long dist run but to have a baby and I will do anything it takes to get there!!

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    It's not something I really think about. After 2 kids training was really easy but with 4 it's just a completely different juggle. My oldest is 9. It's not a change that happens overnight. So I guess I've had a long time to get used to it.

I know a lot of mums who still train so you can do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Excited1 long distance is 10km to 20km runs.so not much.atleast 10km would be good or even 8km gives me a buzz.mornings are cardio so 10km run 3to 4times week and spinbike 2 3 times a week and 20km run on weekend.arvos are strengrh training.4day split.usually do 20mins sprints afterwards or cycle.i throw in a crossfut session or bodypump class once a week.
    Im defiently not going to run until they say im pregnant ir my obst gives me the go ahead as the ivf clinic has told me the same as you.
    Definelty am rethinking my trainung schedule given what you have said.i dont want to risk damaging any pelvic floor muscles.ive had a couple injuries and the healing process can be long and even more depressing.
    How far along this ivf process are you this time? Why did they remove your tube.fallopian tube im assuming.
    Goodluck I really hope you get your baby this time