+ Reply to Thread
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Primary School - what year for text books?

What year of Primary school did your child have actual text books at school? I've just got DS's stationery/book list for next year (year 2) and there is only 1 text book. I just assumed they would have more but I am basing that on what I remember at Primary school which was back in the *ahem* 1970s.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Current teaching methodology (at least how I was trained) is moving away from worksheet/textbook style teaching. We don't use student textbooks at all apart from Jolly Phonics in junior primary.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (01-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    DD2 had soundwaves (for English) and a maths book (signpost) in year 2. they just worked through it at their own pace. It came in handy if she ever missed school for whatever reason for more than a few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't come across text books in primary school at all - neither when I was at school (during the 90s), nor teaching...although I haven't done a LOT of primary teaching.

The only occasions I've come across text books were where a teacher used a book as resource, or they borrowed a class set from the library for a specific unit of work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd be happy with that! ! The current move as @harvs said is to forget text books and actually teach kids! !! Textbooks do have their uses but in the last few years most schools are doing away with them. I'm one of those teachers who have often complained to my principal to get rid of them! !

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

harvs  (01-11-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    DD2 had soundwaves (for English) and a maths book (signpost) in year 2. they just worked through it at their own pace. It came in handy if she ever missed school for whatever reason for more than a few days.
    OT but I really dislike that kind of 'teaching'. Kids that can work through this stuff (particularly maths) independently probably already get it, so therefore it's more just busy work and they should be extended, meaning they can't do it independently and need explicit teaching. Those that don't get it should be getting explicit teaching and the textbooks used as an opportunity to practice. Year 2s still need lots of concrete and play based examples.

I hope that your DD received some of this stuff too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    OT but I really dislike that kind of 'teaching'. Kids that can work through this stuff (particularly maths) independently probably already get it, so therefore it's more just busy work and they should be extended, meaning they can't do it independently and need explicit teaching. Those that don't get it should be getting explicit teaching and the textbooks used as an opportunity to practice. Year 2s still need lots of concrete and play based examples.

I hope that your DD received some of this stuff too.
    She does. Her teacher is fantastic and is excellent at extending the kids. But there are some parents who don't feel happy unless they see texts and I guess the teachers try and strike a balance. I see this as another tool for the teachers. I don't really like computer based learning so would honestly prefer texts. Also when the kids that need teaching get teaching the others work on texts. There's only one teacher to 26 kids.

They do heaps of play based learning even now in year 3 (she has the same teacher).

I guess because she's thrived with this teacher it works for me.

In the same school environment DD2 (who is profoundly gifted) did dreadfully. She's at a private school now and has lessons in a group of 5 other girls and is excelling.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

harvs  (01-11-2014)