+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,098
    Thanks
    4,951
    Thanked
    1,394
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My Paed has told me (only 3 days ago) to start my 4 month old on solids and give her a tiny bit of egg and peanut butter as soon as 😨 so it's true...? because this confused the hell out of me. He said as early early as possible. When I gave DD1 peanut butter as a baby because I didn't know about this whole allergy thing people jumped me and freaked me out for doing the wrong thing (irl not on here😆) now it's all changed again!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,005
    Thanks
    291
    Thanked
    729
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A theory I was told is that when exposure to a food occurs through a different pathway than the gastrointestinal tract, the body can mistake them for a foreign object and hence become allergic to it. My son has suffered from eczema since he was little and he had egg at 6 months - he had a reaction to it. I think this theory is why they are saying to introduce foods earlier rather than later. To minimize the chance of egg (for example) coming in contact with broken skin from eczema (for example) and causing an allergy. Not to say that all allergies come about that way, but it kinda makes sense in our situation that he may have gotten some egg on him before he'd eaten some - I used to have scrambled eggs for brekkie quite regularly.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,297
    Thanks
    3,120
    Thanked
    6,306
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    My Paed has told me (only 3 days ago) to start my 4 month old on solids and give her a tiny bit of egg and peanut butter as soon as 😨 so it's true...? because this confused the hell out of me. He said as early early as possible. When I gave DD1 peanut butter as a baby because I didn't know about this whole allergy thing people jumped me and freaked me out for doing the wrong thing (irl not on here😆) now it's all changed again!
    The most up to date research done in Australia last year is at around 6 months is the time to introduce all foods, at 4 months their gut and digestive system is not developed properly yet to handle anything but breastmilk plus they Need breastmilk/formula as it contains exactly the right amounts of nutrients required and if you start solids too early you don't want them cutting down on milk - tell him to read the national health and medical research council latest updates ( which he should have!)

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    299
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked
    65
    Reviews
    0
    i have had this exact conversation with both a doctor and CHN within the last week. The advise from health professionals is now to introduce solids between 4-6 months. they believe that the delay in starting them on things that they may react to has in fact increased the number of children with allergies. my DS is only 4 months but have started on rice cereal and will gradually move to other foods. I was told if I thought he would have an allergic reaction, to simply smear the food e.g. peanut butter onto the skin as a reaction will still occur but be milder than if ingested. to do it on a weekday in the morning, so that if there is a reaction and you need a doctors appointment etc, its easier to deal with. and not to do it at night, as if there is a reaction later, you'll be asleep.

    the CHN also said its important to remember that at 4-6 months, bubs main intake is breastmilk / formula, with only a small amount of solids. after about 7-9 months I think she said, it should have started to change to be more solids, supplemented with breastmilk / formula.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    450
    Thanks
    441
    Thanked
    251
    Reviews
    0
    I was told around 6 months is fine.

    It's interesting how the official guidelines change over the years though.

    I was pregnant with my first baby in 2006-2007. I remember reading a pregnancy book which which advised all women to completely avoid eating peanuts and peanut products during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

    I thought that sounded strange and had never heard of it before (and by that stage had already eaten plenty of peanuts/peanut butter!) so I continued eating peanut butter etc throughout my pregnancy.

    This article states that UK guidelines were in effect from 1998-2008 advising that women who have allergies and women with relatives who have allergies may wish to avoid all peanut products during pregnancy and lactation.

    The advice was misinterpreted by the public though and a study conducted after the UK guidelines were introduced found that the majority of pregnant women in the UK were avoiding peanuts during pregnancy, regardless of whether they had any history of allergies. The article also goes on to say that since then, there have been a number of studies that suggest that eating peanuts during pregnancy may actually reduce the risk of allergy in the child.
    Last edited by sky1; 31-10-2014 at 09:16.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,211
    Thanks
    3,646
    Thanked
    3,454
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    A theory I was told is that when exposure to a food occurs through a different pathway than the gastrointestinal tract, the body can mistake them for a foreign object and hence become allergic to it. My son has suffered from eczema since he was little and he had egg at 6 months - he had a reaction to it. I think this theory is why they are saying to introduce foods earlier rather than later. To minimize the chance of egg (for example) coming in contact with broken skin from eczema (for example) and causing an allergy. Not to say that all allergies come about that way, but it kinda makes sense in our situation that he may have gotten some egg on him before he'd eaten some - I used to have scrambled eggs for brekkie quite regularly.
    I find this interesting, he actually had a reaction on the third time I gave the peanut butter on toast to him, when he actually ate some. The other two times he just played with the toast and made a mess. Interesting as well is the little patch of hives that appeared was on his neck where peanut butter on his shirt was rubbing against him. That said, somebody with a child with a peanut allergy told me that with some babies the reaction can get worse with each contact. Obviously not giving nuts until we see the specialist and get some proper answers.

    I definitely haven't avoided peanut butter through pregnancy and breastfeeding!! He may be one for the argument that a mom consuming too much peanut butter can cause the allergy!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,098
    Thanks
    4,951
    Thanked
    1,394
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    The most up to date research done in Australia last year is at around 6 months is the time to introduce all foods, at 4 months their gut and digestive system is not developed properly yet to handle anything but breastmilk plus they Need breastmilk/formula as it contains exactly the right amounts of nutrients required and if you start solids too early you don't want them cutting down on milk - tell him to read the national health and medical research council latest updates ( which he should have!)
    Thanks for that. You know my Paed says to start her but her head is still so weak I just don't feel she's ready for solids at all. Not sure what to do there. She's just not interested but he said doesn't matter😣

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,098
    Thanks
    4,951
    Thanked
    1,394
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Girls if baby has no interest in food or head control would you still start on solids? I'm scared.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,832
    Thanks
    1,407
    Thanked
    794
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Girls if baby has no interest in food or head control would you still start on solids? I'm scared.
    Is there a reason why your pediatrician said to start now? Unless it was for medical reasons I wouldn't LoCo. Maybe try in a month or two.

  10. #30
    AdornedWithCats's Avatar
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,814
    Thanks
    6,773
    Thanked
    3,406
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Girls if baby has no interest in food or head control would you still start on solids? I'm scared.
    Personally, no. Does your bub have a reason to start solids early/asap? (Like low weight gain or something?)

    I did blw so didn't start until around 6 months, a few weeks after ds learnt to use a spoon (ie. Pick it up and put it in his mouth). I introduced eggs and peanuts right away.

    Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app


 

Similar Threads

  1. What age to introduce food ?
    By bunkx in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-12-2013, 15:01
  2. Should I introduce a comforter?
    By NAT256 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2013, 11:23
  3. just wanting to introduce myself
    By LeeLee81 in forum Support after Stillbirth
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-11-2013, 16:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Einsteinz Music
Fun & interactive music classes!
Classes are taught by professional musicians! Children are taught the fundamentals of music: beat, pitch, rhythm and tempo through hands-on experience. Click for more details!!!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!