+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Little Ted, it used to be 12 months but now is 6-12 months if no known allergies in your family.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (30-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds who is 4 it was introducing certain foods after so many months. I think eggs were 10mths, peanuts over 12 months ect.
    Dd19mths they changed the guidelines around the time she was born. To do not delay any food with the exception of honey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A variety of ALL foods after 6 months ( including eggs and peanuts ) is recommended except honey as pp have mentioned

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc...ne_summary.pdf

Food allergies

Introducing a variety of solid foods around the age of 6 months is consistent with reducing the risk of developing allergic syndromes. There is no evidence that delaying the introduction of solid foods beyond this age reduces the risk of atopic disease. Delay in the introduction of solid foods until after the age of 6 months is associated with increased risk of developing allergic syndromes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (30-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Little Ted, it used to be 12 months but now is 6-12 months if no known allergies in your family.
    Thank you! It's funny isn't it as most of us have heard that it's earlier than 12 months now, but they don't openly mention when. It changed after DD and before our newborn. It's nice in a way that I don't have to worry about peanut butter fingers around our youngest in a few months. Only one of their cousins had a childhood allergy to nuts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Send your friend the nhmrc guidelines in the previous post and tell her she should give a copy to her child health nurse who has given her outdated recommendations.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 30-10-2014 at 23:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 30-10-2014 at 23:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The earlier the better... (Can't remember the specifics). The current studies suggest that delaying the introduction of certain foods can lead to allergies..
    Yep this is what I've been told as well. Interestingly though my DS1 was given egg at 8 months old had a massive reaction to it and was only able to have it again after he was about 2.5 years old.

DD and DS2 were given egg at 12 months and no allergic reaction at all.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was also told not to delay allergens. I hate being made to feel like my kids allergies are my fault. My kids showed food intolerances from 1 - 2 weeks old from exposure to the allergen food in my breast milk - so I KNOW that they were born with them, it's not something that can be avoided. I have been told that I must have eaten too much processed food when pregnant, or even as a kid, I exposed my unborn babies to too many cleaning products, etc... wtf? What makes people feel like they have the right to blame a mother for their child's allergies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I was also told not to delay allergens. I hate being made to feel like my kids allergies are my fault. My kids showed food intolerances from 1 - 2 weeks old from exposure to the allergen food in my breast milk - so I KNOW that they were born with them, it's not something that can be avoided. I have been told that I must have eaten too much processed food when pregnant, or even as a kid, I exposed my unborn babies to too many cleaning products, etc... wtf? What makes people feel like they have the right to blame a mother for their child's allergies!

Ugh, that's awful! Firstly, we don't even KNOW what causes allergies. There are possible links with genetics, cleanliness, bacteria, vitamin D, mother's diet, introduction of foods, certain environmental chemicals whilst pregnant, air quality....
    We don't actually KNOW what's happening yet, let alone have the ability to say "do this and you'll reduce risks" and CERTAINLY not "you did this and therefore...!!".
    So sorry people feel that it's acceptable to do that!