+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It never occurred to me to take it, we had so many wraps/blankets, I probably thought we didn't need it (it was a purple waffle blanket). But now that the thought has been put in my head that it was special because it was the first thing he was wrapped in, I wish I had!

Does the hospital even care if you take it? Especially if you've gone private? We paid so much over here in the UK to go privately that I would think the blanket is included!

Eta: just saw theoneandonly's comments.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 30-10-2014 at 17:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post
    She then put in the thermometer they had used while he was there and said to take whatever wasn't bolted down! I didn't do that but def took the blanket and the rest of the nappies and wipes we were given. (We were in a private hospital)
    We were private as well and they sent us home with bottles, breast pump attachments and storage bottles, formula, the wrap I mentioned previously, wipes, nappies...It was a heap of stuff! Maybe because you pay more to go private they factor it into the cost??

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The thing people are given from
    SCN and NICU are all designed to be single use items. They're not designed to be reused on other people. People take weird things home from there though. I've seen people take cpap masks, cardiac monitoring chest leads, phototherapy goggles, cord clamps with the stub of cord still attached (gross), BP cuffs etc. I'm sure they all get home find everything 2 months later and wonder why they kept it all haha. Some of it for sure you'd want to keep, but some people will take anything if it touched their baby.

(Mum kept my hip splint for close to 30yrs. Impressive but gross because the plastic had deteriorated and was all sticky and gross)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The hospital dressed DD in a little hospital t shirt, a beanie & wrapped her in a blanket when she was born. Once we got back to the ward I changed her into the onesie & blanket I had brought for her and popped the hospital stuff back on the little shelf under the cot & left them there. Never once occurred to me to take anything home. I even left the dummy they gave her, and they probably just tossed that out!

I probably would have liked to have kept that little beanie but I thought they would want it back & didn't want to steal it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelove View Post
    We were private as well and they sent us home with bottles, breast pump attachments and storage bottles, formula, the wrap I mentioned previously, wipes, nappies...It was a heap of stuff! Maybe because you pay more to go private they factor it into the cost??

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Bottles etc if they'd been in your room then they would give them to you to take. Disposable stuff like that is thrown out if left behind due to infection control. We have disposable breast pump attachments that we use that last 24hrs and all the bottles and teats etc are designed to be single use (although most mums will wash and reuse). That stuff is cheap so isn't too bad. Blankets however are actually quite expensive in comparison to all of that stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahhh no, but only preg with our first now....random things people do. I can understand the attachment to first blanket.

I'm really glad I read this post today, now I'll organise my own special one for him to use as his first. Yes. 😊😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I'm also due with my first, and the hospital list says to take our own blankets.

So, if I take my own - will that get to be baby's first blanket? Or will they still use a hospital one straight after the birth?

I'm not likely to steal a blanket, either way,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    You'd be surprised what people take home from hospitals... We no longer allow parents to leave the ward with their baby in the cot when they're being discharged because people take them home... Yes, they take the plastic cots AND the frame they're on home.
    Hang on.... people actually steal the see through plastic cot on wheels from the hospital... wtf?

No we didn't take blankets or anything. With DD they supplied cloth nappies which obviously stayed there, but other than that we provided everything and took it home.

The only thing I have is their name tags and knitted beanies.

and I'm still at people stealing the cots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    I've seen people take ...cord clamps with the stub of cord still attached (gross)
    I couldn't get rid of the cord stump quick enough

ETA: Ok, so I just read that Hilary Duff kept her baby's stump in a zip-lock bag in the back of her make-up drawer. Maybe it's more common than I thought
    Last edited by sky1; 30-10-2014 at 17:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. Well I didn't take it, DH did. The thought hadn't occurred to me to be honest.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast