+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    You'd be surprised what people take home from hospitals... We no longer allow parents to leave the ward with their baby in the cot when they're being discharged because people take them home... Yes, they take the plastic cots AND the frame they're on home.
    When I was in hospital with ds2 the midwife I had told me the same thing

We left the blankets, although Its their first blanket it doesn't belong to me. If I did then Its something the public hospital would have to replace and if lots of people did it then that's money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    No. Taking the blanket would never have even occurred to me. We were given the beanie they put on her though.
    We were also given the beanie that dd2 first wore in nicu.

You'd be surprised what people take home from hospitals... We no longer allow parents to leave the ward with their baby in the cot when they're being discharged because people take them home... Yes, they take the plastic cots AND the frame they're on home.
    Oh my
    Slightly OT, the hospital that dd2 was in was quite large and new mums used to wheel bub down to the food court and that surprised me at first, but I actually saw a few mums taking the babies outside in the cots so they could have a smoke

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Whaaaaat?? Wow.

We took a wrap home as the scn nurses offered it to us as a memento.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Exactly. Say the hospital has 5000 births a year and everyone took home a blanket. Say blankets cost $5 each, that's $25,000 a year being spent replacing things that people stole that the hospital has to replace. And that's just 1 hospital.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (30-10-2014),Purple Lily  (30-10-2014),TheGooch  (30-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The beanies are different, they're knitted by volunteers and then donated to the hospital. We have thousands of them. Christmas themed, state of origin themed etc. We encourage parents to take those as mementos instead

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

MonsterMummy  (02-11-2014),Purple Lily  (30-10-2014),TheGooch  (30-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    We left the blankets, although Its their first blanket it doesn't belong to me. If I did then Its something the public hospital would have to replace and if lots of people did it then that's money that could be better spent elsewhere.
    Exactly. Say the hospital has 5000 births a year and everyone took home a blanket. Say blankets cost $5 each, that's $25,000 a year being spent replacing things that people stole that the hospital has to replace. And that's just 1 hospital.
    That was my thought.
    Now I know why there were times where it was an effort to find blankets in the SCN, which was frustrating because I ended up bringing my own in and they were never guaranteed to be kept with dd2's things.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (30-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I posted a pic of my DD on Facebook at home in her hospital wrap, which they gave to us as she seemed to hate the muslin ones I had purchased for her. She only settled in the cotton hospital sheet.
    Anyway. A few people asked me if I nicked it, and even more people admitted to 'taking SOME home'. I can only imagine how many get stolen. Soon they'll be doing a linen count on discharge lol.
    Any nurses on here know how much of an issue it is for hospitals?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There are definitely times when we run low on blankets and it is hard to believe that we would go through that many. Unless a baby wees/poos/vomits on them, then they should be good for a day or 2 before changing, usually after the first bath. We would usually get around 60-80 blankets on our linen trolley each day and some days only half that amount gets delivered. A few days later and we soon have more, usually because an order has come in of new blankets. We recently had a new shipment of these really cute blankets come in with dinosaurs or something on them. Like, we had hundreds of them. They're now as scarce as hens teeth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took the blanket home, being my first I have no idea but thought it might help ds sleep at home with a familiar smell (he was wrapped in it when born and slept with it in hospital). When we left the midwife was putting all of his tags etc in the nappy bag for me. She then put in the thermometer they had used while he was there and said to take whatever wasn't bolted down! I didn't do that but def took the blanket and the rest of the nappies and wipes we were given. (We were in a private hospital)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post
    I took the blanket home, being my first I have no idea but thought it might help ds sleep at home with a familiar smell (he was wrapped in it when born and slept with it in hospital). When we left the midwife was putting all of his tags etc in the nappy bag for me. She then put in the thermometer they had used while he was there and said to take whatever wasn't bolted down! I didn't do that but def took the blanket and the rest of the nappies and wipes we were given. (We were in a private hospital)
    She encouraged you to take everything? That's terrible.