+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toilet Training Help/Tips

I've started toilet training DS (turned 2 last week) as he'd been having a lot of nappy free time for a few days and each time he needed to do a wee he would run outside to the grass and do it. He didn't really have any accidents other than a couple of times when a tiny bit came out then he stopped and ran outside.

Unfortunately he won't use the normal toilet, regardless of the fact that we've got the padded seat that goes onto it, the step with handles and seat that goes onto the normal toilet. We've had these for awhile now as he'd started showing signs of being ready but seems scared by the normal toilet.

So I bit the bullet and bought a potty when he'd started going on the grass as I didn't want to delay him if he's ready. Yesterday was the first day and he did really well, however he still won't sit on the potty. He stands over it and aims to wee in it. Which is fine for that, but he won't sit on it for number 2's even and then he starts to do it while standing up (I don't think he realises he's needing to do number 2 as he told me wee instead) and gets really distressed when he makes a mess on himself/floor.

So my main thing I'm wanting tips on is ways to encourage him to sit on the potty without distressing him. We already have possible sensory issues to do with sitting in the bath and standing on the wet floor in the shower (currently awaiting an appointment with an OT for help on this) so I don't know if the not wanting to sit on the potty/toilet is also part of it or if this is just a normal toddler thing.

The other thing is I've just been leaving him in the nude as it's hot anyway and we are home alone, but is this the wrong thing to be doing? Should I be putting him in undies? I put a pair on him this morning as we had a friend pop around for a bit and he got really upset with me putting them on because he says they hurt (they don't as they are not tight, but he says this about different things when he doesn't want us to do them).

So any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have much advice as our boy, also two, has been put on the potty since he could sit (we used to sit and read together) so it's not much of an issue but I totally understand the fear of the big toilet. He prefers the potty because he can get on and off it himself and his feet can touch the floor. We've tried padded seat reducers but not steps. The potty works for now.

As for being 'rudey nudey' - I reckon that's fine when starting off so they can see what's happening down there when they have an accident, but it's also good to get them used to real undies.

This blog has heaps of potty training tips, and here's one about going commando:
    http://www.jamieglowacki.com/potty-t...-for-commando/

Good luck! For us it's been a slow but steady and long learning process. But in the last couple of weeks he's actually started taking himself to the potty instead of us telling him to go. Finally!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, every bit of advice about tt, comes down to when the child is ready, it will all come together. average age is around two yrs, when the child can wake in the morning with a dry nappy, that is a good time to start tt. usually, if the child has a regular bowel movement, often mid morning, it is easy to plan for that. simply, if you watch the child, and you don't get too stressed, everything happens with ease. personally, I don't like to allow nudie, I rather to wash little undies. marie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of books and some online cartoons (YouTube) of kids going to the toilet helped us.

I won't lie, it was one of the hardest things I've done as a parent. I often felt like it would never end. We had weeks/months of being dry, then a a few random regression weeks of wetting himself. Continued in this cycle for about a year before it was consistent.

I have no problem with nudie rudies at home. Anything to reduce the washing. We had a few potties all over the house and one outside for whenever he felt the need. But the best thing we bought was a Luipi Lu toilet seat.

good luck & be patient and know it will happen for you one day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing, dd has no problem doing wee's on the potty but refuses to do poos and gets quite distressed about pooing anywhere but in a nappy. She's almost 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the feedback.

He's doing really well with doing wees in the potty. Runs off to it saying wee wee each time he needs to go.

It's just he won't sit on the potty, he stands over it and aims.

He gets quite distressed when he does a poo and makes a mess. Although yesterday he ran inside and said wee wee and layed down on the mat in his room and asked for a nappy and proceeded to do a poo once it was on.

So I guess he is starting to recognise when he needs to do it so is some sort of progress.

No luck with the undies, says ouch each time he sees them which is what he did when we used nappy pants awhile ago. It's like he doesn't like the sensation of pulling them up, yet he's fine with normal pants/shorts. If I can manage to wrestle them onto him, he's fine with them once they are on.

But that link above does explain why he starts to do the wee and then stops and goes to the potty when wearing the undies, yet doesn't have a single accident when not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check out the peter potty if he likes to stand to wee. He is probably just copying what he has seen from his dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm tearing my hair out over toilet training DS, who will be 3 in Feb. He did really well for a few days, doing wees on the toilet up to 5 times in a day and staying dry in between. But now he's regressed and says he wants to wear a nappy. He refuses to even try when we put him on the toilet. I put him in undies to see if not wearing something absorbent (training pants or nappy) would help. But he wet them almost straight away. I then got him to sit on the toilet but he didn't try, and then immediately did a huge wee in the clean underpants (and on the floor, in his sandals, on the blanket on our bed which he was standing next to, etc). It seems he has figured that it's just easier to wee himself while playing than to be interrupted to go to the toilet, and he won't even try on the toilet. This is so frustrating. How I convince him that stopping playing and going to the toilet is better than just doing it where he is?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    And while I was typing that post he did a sloppy poo in his clean underpants. I'm hating this parenting thing...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBubbles For This Useful Post:

debsch  (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBubbles View Post
    And while I was typing that post he did a sloppy poo in his clean underpants. I'm hating this parenting thing...
    Ha ha! Yesterday, our "potty trained" (I think he is finally there) two year old did all three - a poop in his pants in the morning, a pee in his pants in the afternoon, and then he put his hand down his throat after afternoon tea and spewed. That's when I sent a text to hubby saying for him to please come home with a bottle of white. Some days I think I have it all under control, other days are like yesterday. You're not alone!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

MrsBubbles  (06-11-2014)