+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS started stuttering when he was about 2yo. It went on for about 18 months. Hes nearly 4yo now and very rarely does it now. I was worried a bit because stuttering runs in our family, my dad has stuttered his whole life and i do it too, though not as bad.

I wouldnt worry until he is ready to start kindy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    @Beccilou
    Bumping this thread. My DD is 2 (and four months) and has suddenly developed a stutter this week. I'm very concerned as it appears to be a "true stutter" as described above. I know, because I myself had the exact same stutter throughout childhood and also in adulthood. It's not the repeating of one word, it's as if the word is "stuck", for eg she will try and say "orange" and it's just "Oooooooorrr Oooooooorr", it's the same with other words beginning with a vowel. She was a very early talker and this has occurred right out of the blue. She has been able to converse fluently and clearly for well over 6 months and this sudden change in her speech is clearly distressing her. Yesterday she was becoming very frustrated and began crying when she could not get the word out. She said "I can't talk mama" and told me her mouth "is too high" which is her way of describing what's happening, the poor bug
    What should I do? Give it a month or intervene straight away? Is it likely to go away in it's own?
    Sorry to hijack your thread OP! I remembered this thread when you first posted it and so I searched the forums for it for advice.
    There's absolutely no harm in getting it assessed now so you have an idea of what you're up against, especially since it's bothering her. I'm not sure how services work where you are but there could be a waiting list so the sooner you out her name down, the better.
    Given that there's a family history, it's definitely worth checking out further.

Having said all of that, the latest research suggests that around 4-4.5 is the ideal time for therapy. You can start earlier but it can be a slower process and waiting doesn't make it any less effective, so if you do decide to sit on it for a few months, it's my going to be detrimental.

Good luck

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beccilou For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (09-06-2015),~Marigold~  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just saw you're in vic. If you go through your local community health centre there'll be a wait. So, I'd recommend putting in a self referral and see how she's going when her name comes to the top of the list. You could be looking at a few months wait up to over a year depending on what area you're in.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beccilou For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you in Melbourne? If so I can recommend a great private speech path who specializes in stuttering.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (09-06-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @sajimum not sure if your post was to me or the OP but I am in Melbourne and that would be great, thanks. My inbox is full and my app isn't working but it will be clear shortly if you wanted to PM, cheers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    @sajimum not sure if your post was to me or the OP but I am in Melbourne and that would be great, thanks. My inbox is full and my app isn't working but it will be clear shortly if you wanted to PM, cheers.
    Sorry, it was to you Marigold. I did try to PM it prior to posting but will wait a while and Re-try.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can also recommend a stuttering guru in melbourne depending on your location. I wonder if it's the same one! Haha.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beccilou For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (09-06-2015),~Marigold~  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies everyone.
    I was worried because my brother has got a stutter and I know he is so embarrassed by it.
    He seems a lot better now and doesn't do it too much anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    @EmieLou, check this thread out.