+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does anybody work full time with a baby or 1 year old?

I was due to return to my very perfect, very flexible part time job this month after being on maternity leave but I was made redundant instead.

The same company has just offered for me to apply for a full time job in another division. I just couldn't go full time! It makes me feel sick leaving my 3 kids in someone else's care for so long especially my little one 😢 and because I have to commute for more than an hour each way so it's a big day for my kids in school then after school care even when I was working 3 days per week. I said I could stretch to 4 days but not 5 and they said they would consider it if I interview well.

So! My question is, how do you cope being away from your little ones for so long! I can't look at him today without crying! I didn't work at all with my first 2 sons until they were 3 and 4 but now we have a mortgage and we really need the money. We have no family near us so no support network. We would be relying on the daycare centre.

Pros and words of encouragement will be well received!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It was fine. I loved it and my DS was fine also. I loved my work and my pay. I loved picking him up each day and enjoyed every moment I spent with him at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went back to work ft when my kids were 1 and 2 yrs. Lasted 3 months and then quit because it was just too hard and i was exhausted. Hats off to those that manage it.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I went back to work FT when DS was about 9 months old. I hated it but I had no choice, it was FT or nothing. We survived though.

Fortunately DH got a much better paying job just before DD was born so I could be a SAHM for much longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No experience with this sorry, but if I was you I'd apply for the full time job whilst looking for a new part time job in another company. That way you have a back up option if you can't find another part time job straight away. And while you are in the full time role (if it comes to that) just keep looking for a suitable part time job. Good luck with it all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I leave 530am get home 6pm 4 days a week.
    Dd loves daycare, ( loves playing with friends)then loves coming home and spending time with mum and dad.
    I think about her a bit but to be honest I'm now too busy to think about her.
    I work in the cbd so it's also nice to be a grown up and look at clothes at lunch ( i do end up in the kids section though).
    I see that my kids are apart of my life but are not my life. In 18 years time she's going to be off on her own ( as in we don't have legal responsibility for her)
    Being organised is the key. Dinner is done by 630. Eaten by 7 then wash and bed by 9.
    Spot cleaning on work nights and 3 spare days for deep clean and then fun.
    Having a supportive DH helps too. We tag team chores

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went back 4 days when dd was 10 months and full time when she was 18 months, which I've been doing for a year. I'm happy, I enjoy my job, get paid well, and have a lot of flexibility. It works for us, yes things can be hectic at times, but it's just the way it is, it allows us to have the lifestyle that we do. I don't feel that dd is missing out by being in day care, in fact I think she is thriving.

But it's like every thing, just because it works for one family doesn't mean it's right for everyone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I find I manage my time better too. When I was at home all the time I was like - I can clean that later , do that later ... Now I only have 3 hours to do everything before bed.
    and time with dd wasn't quality it is now

Thanks
    Reviews
    In saying all of this I don't think I would cope if I was working 5 days. The 3 full days off is grwat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awww thank you everyone, you've made me feel a lot better about it!

Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I leave 530am get home 6pm 4 days a week.
    Dd loves daycare, ( loves playing with friends)then loves coming home and spending time with mum and dad.
    I think about her a bit but to be honest I'm now too busy to think about her.
    I work in the cbd so it's also nice to be a grown up and look at clothes at lunch ( i do end up in the kids section though).
    I see that my kids are apart of my life but are not my life. In 18 years time she's going to be off on her own ( as in we don't have legal responsibility for her)
    Being organised is the key. Dinner is done by 630. Eaten by 7 then wash and bed by 9.
    Spot cleaning on work nights and 3 spare days for deep clean and then fun.
    Having a supportive DH helps too. We tag team chores
    I definitely agree Maternidade! I'm not one who thinks my kids are my entire life and do enjoy time away doing things for me. I did love my lunch hour in the city too! Meeting friends for lunch, shopping etc. Although 4 days working tips the balance a bit but I'll be sure to make the most of those 3 days off! I might even be able to convince my husband to agree to a cleaner once a week! Perhaps that's just in my dreams 😄