+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Unhappy Just found out I should have voted

DH found out at work today that we were supposed to have revoted in the bielection on the weekend. We didn't know that it was on or we would have voted. We've never missed a vote. We didn't receive anything in the post to let us know and we don't watch the news as the kids are up then.

Any ideas how we can avoid the fine? $110 is a lot of money. Apparently there was a huge number that didn't vote - probably similar reason to ours I would suspect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got fined a few years ago for failing to vote. I stupidly forgot because I was away for the weekend. I ignored the first fine thinking I could get out of it, but nope, got an extra fee for not paying on time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We would have voted if we'd known about it. Haven't received a notice yet. Might give them a call tomorrow. Is it through the AEC for state elections? I like having a vote but we don't buy the paper or watch much tv so we didn't know it was on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably the VEC for state elections.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha ha, VEC If you are in Victoria!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (28-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll give the AEC a call and ask who I should talk to - hopefully they'll know. What a waste of money. It's not like it's 'teaching me a lesson' because I would have voted...if I'd known.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Years ago DH didn't vote in his local election because he didn't realise it was on. They ended up sending him a letter with a fine and that was the first he knew about it. He contested it, basically wrote a letter back criticizing the fact that there wasn't much advertising done to raise local awareness of it... and he never had to pay the fine! So there's hope.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (28-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bitterpure View Post
    Years ago DH didn't vote in his local election because he didn't realise it was on. They ended up sending him a letter with a fine and that was the first he knew about it. He contested it, basically wrote a letter back criticizing the fact that there wasn't much advertising done to raise local awareness of it... and he never had to pay the fine! So there's hope.
    Thank you - yes this is what has happened to us. DH only found out today as his workmates were discussing it. We knew there was one coming up in our area, but didn't know if our seat was one of the ones being re-elected or when it was going to be. His workmates said that there were over 10,000 people who didn't vote which is quite significant apparently compared to normal.

Thanks
    Reviews

All is right with the world again. Rang the NSW Electoral Commission and it turns out that only part of our suburb had to vote and not our street. Phew!!! Obviously the people who told DH were unaware of the split in the suburb.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Little Ted you must be relieved!

Unfortunately DH and I simply forgot to vote on Saturday (I think we live in the same region) and I imagine we will cop a fine. We received letters in the mail to remind us but DH put them in my car and they're unopened. Stupid mistake.

Sounds like loads of people forgot too. They'll make a lot of money in fines.