+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Possible new job, not sure what to think of this, opinions please?

So, I've been applying for reception/admin/PA jobs all year, and hardly had a call back for a job interview, until today.

One of the jobs I applied for was as a PA role, which I had a phone interview for this avo, and am having an interview in person on Thursday.
    At the end of the phone interview, I asked if he thinks I would suit the role, and he said I as the best person hes spoken to today, he said that I've pretty much got the job at the end of the phone interview, he just needs to see how I dress professionally and give me my tax forms & super forms in person.

The role pays well, like $20k per year more than I've done in previous admin/reception jobs, involves the usual diary management, taking client phone calls, bookings meetings, booking travel/taxis/hotels. The bonus is I get to work from home as he's out of the office all day and directly contacts me via email & phone calls, so I'd be getting my own work phone & Ipad for work.

But one thing that I'm a bit iffy about it that when my boss travels interstate, I must travel with him as it's a major requirement of the PA role, is this standard in PA roles?.

I just get the feelings there a catch to the job or something, I just have an odd feeling about the travel part of it. I don't know, maybe I just feel this way because every job I've had (apart from working for my parents company), I've had dodgy or sleazy bosses & I'm worried this will be the same.

Do you think this job is too good to be true in a way or am I being over paranoid?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it depends what sort of industry it is and what the manager's position is... but purely from the point of view of logic - if you can do the role from home when he is in the same state as you, because everything is done remotely, what changes when he is interstate? Does he know the internet works across states?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Pusheen The Cat do you have children?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    I guess it depends what sort of industry it is and what the manager's position is... but purely from the point of view of logic - if you can do the role from home when he is in the same state as you, because everything is done remotely, what changes when he is interstate? Does he know the internet works across states?
    He buys businesses thats gone out of business, re does them and re sells them functioning again. I think he needs me to be there for interstate meetings to do the minutes with his clients. So it'll be like, next week go up to brissy one night, do the meeting the next day & come home after it. I know it makes sense, I'm just paranoid & need reassurance that it's not some whack job going to kill me or something interstate lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbug View Post
    @Pusheen The Cat do you have children?
    Yes I have one child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be upfront and say to him, that unfortunately you aren't prepared to travel interstate due to family commitments. He can always take a recorder and record his meetings for you to then type up. Unfortunately there are a lot of sleazes and scumbags out there that try to take advantage of women in admin roles, he may be genuine but weigh up the pros and cons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbug View Post
    I would be upfront and say to him, that unfortunately you aren't prepared to travel interstate due to family commitments. He can always take a recorder and record his meetings for you to then type up. Unfortunately there are a lot of sleazes and scumbags out there that try to take advantage of women in admin roles, he may be genuine but weigh up the pros and cons.
    Yeah thats why I'm paranoid, I have no issue traveling for work, as my partner said hes fine with my son, but I'm just paranoid about it possibly being something dodgy in those aspects. I'll ask more about it at the interview on thursday I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Goodluck Pusheen

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (28-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds normal to me. I have had to do this in a previous role. I loved it.
    That was before I had children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Then you need to ask him if you need to attend meetings with him when the meetings are local. Unless he is trying to look like he is not a one man team, and with you there it appears good for him ?

To me personally sounds a little suss, but I think you will get a better idea when you meet him. I would also look him up on fb, linkdin and google the business, so that you are prepped for your interview