+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help with details on Private with no insurance

Morning all! I am 15 weeks pregnant and have already had a son (2 years old) in Public Hospital (Redlands), I was satisfied with them but would love to have my husband stay the night (I had issues post last c/section and would have loved to have him there to help out) and the only option is Private stay?
    My questions are: Can I go public (no cost) for prenatal services (scans/blood tests) and then pay for a Private OB (which I would have to have if I go private hospital - is that correct?), I read somewhere that maybe the Private OB's do a shared care with GP to lower costs? I have been given a quote for elective c/section at Greenslopes - but am wondering what the extra's will be: peadatrician / anesthesasist ...? What are the average costs for these? And if it is a c/section will OB be there (extra cost?). Im so confused! What other costs should I be aware of ? Has any one had good reviews re. Greenslopes by the way? Is anyone aware of public maternity hospitals in Brisbane/Logan area that will allow partners to stay the night? thanks and sorry for so many questions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would contact the hospital directly to ask them their costs and also contact the OB you want to see and ask them the costs, they will be able to advise about the costs relating to csections etc, I think this is probably the best idea of the true cost of going private without PHI but from what I have heard in the past it is expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The bill for my elective c sect and hospital stay was $12k ( paid by my insurance) plus my preg management fee 2500 (paid by me)
    It's very expensive

Thanks
    Reviews
    My prenatal visits paid each time were cheap, $50 a visit but $48 of it back from medicare

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all! Decided to go public after seeing how expensive private is wow!! As for sucking it up, I had post partum pre eclampsia with blood pressure of 180, so having my husband there to help would have been great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi op for the record I loved Greenslopes, but at 15 weeks I would say all the oby would have been booked out anyway. If you haven't booked by 6 weeks you're not going to get in

Thanks
    Reviews
    A good choice I think OP, I had full private insurance that covered all of my expenses, but had many complications during DD's delivery, and there would have been no way I could have paid a bill of over $100,000 out of pocket myself - you never know when things go wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went public and hubby got to stay. Did you ask them at the time? Some hospitals will let hubby stay on a fold out bed if they can fit you into a private room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP I thought of you when I saw this today. Won't help you get a private room, but you'll get continuity of care

Attachment 62574
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1414549360.819917.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Does that mean that one can go private with a midwife? or only public with a private midwife?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

adeline14  (01-11-2014)