+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Biting!

DS (8 1/2 months) now has four teeth (2 top 2 bottom) and has taken to biting me the past few days. Not just a little nibble here and there, full on biting at every feed and thinking he is hilarious! I've tried firmly saying no and pulling him off, which gets laughter and more bites if I try re-latching. I've tried not reacting which is met with him just biting harder until I do. 😔

Yesterday he barely fed at all during the day (a couple of gulps and then the biting starts) which led to him feeding heaps overnight because that was the only time he was too tired to muck around.

Is there anything I can do to stop him? I'm seriously considering finishing breastfeeding if he keeps this up. Is it just a phase that he'll get bored with in a week?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sons both bit me! Really really hard!! I dealt with it the way my mum dealt with me when I bit her. I took him off (I seriously couldn't help squealing when he did it cause it hurt sooo much!!!) and actually out him down on the floor which would upset him. DS1 got the message very quickly amd stopped within a week with only the occasional accidental bite DS2 took much longer but eventually got the message. I think with DS2 it was probably a few months but I just kept persevering. Probably not what you want to hear!

I hope you can figure out something that works for you?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EmilsMum For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (27-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Is bub ready to drop feeds during the day? Around 9 months many bubs drop to 3 feeds. If bub is reasonably full on solids perhaps that's why he's mucking around?

Perhaps timing breastfeeds a certain way would help. Eg milk feed 1 hour before brekky in the morning and an hour and a half after dinner in the evening (before bed)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to say "no! It's not nice to hurt mummy!" And then put him on the floor and walk out of the room. He never cares much about me telling him off but the walking out of the room really annoys him. He normally cries and I come back in about a minute. I then explain that he really hurt me and I will have to put the milk away if he does it again. I then offer him the breast to finish the feed. If he does it again I do the same- telling off and leaving the room but when I come back in I say that's it no more milk because I am hurt. He only bit a few times once I started putting him down when he did.
    Oh and by the way he often got a tooth a few days after any biting episode so perhaps try some nurofen or an ice teether to chew on 20 min before a feed.
    Good luck it bloody hurts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And yep I agree with Vic park too. If all this stuff and stopping the feed doesn't help then he might be really to drop feeds. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Is bub ready to drop feeds during the day? Around 9 months many bubs drop to 3 feeds. If bub is reasonably full on solids perhaps that's why he's mucking around?

Perhaps timing breastfeeds a certain way would help. Eg milk feed 1 hour before brekky in the morning and an hour and a half after dinner in the evening (before bed)?
    Maybe....

I feed him around 7am, then breakfast around 8am. Mid-morning feed around 11. Lunch about an hour later. Mid-afternoon feed around 3/3.30. Dinner around 4.30/5pm. Bedtime feed 6/6.30 (it's hard to get him to last until 7pm).

It's mostly the mid-morning and afternoon one he's doing it at but he did do it this morning for his wake up feed even though he was also continuing to have a fairly big feed. Last night before bed was the same as this morning, although not as big a feed.

So would he naturally be dropping to just feeding when he wakes, around lunch and then before bed? When should the lunch one be, before or after his meal?

I'm hesitant to make any big changes right now, which is why I still let him feed a few times overnight, we just discovered he has a few allergies so I've had to cut a few things out of his diet until we can see a pediatric allergist and dietician. This makes me feel like I need to ensure he's getting enough breastmilk.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    It was a short phase for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    In the SOS book I follow it mentions going to half sized feeds for the 11am/3pmish feeds. I've noticed my bub is like yours... Drinking less and less at the morning and arvo feeds.hes sort of naturally doing half feeds. Some mums that follow SOS change feeds around 9 months... Instead of 7am, 11am, 3pm, 6:30 etc they do 7am, quick top up before afternoon nap and 6:30pm.

My boy now has two bottom teeth and he's been nipping me a bit lately. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the feeds ... As he is a small bub I am hesitant to drop feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilsMum View Post
    My sons both bit me! Really really hard!! I dealt with it the way my mum dealt with me when I bit her. I took him off (I seriously couldn't help squealing when he did it cause it hurt sooo much!!!) and actually out him down on the floor which would upset him. DS1 got the message very quickly amd stopped within a week with only the occasional accidental bite DS2 took much longer but eventually got the message. I think with DS2 it was probably a few months but I just kept persevering. Probably not what you want to hear!

This. Unlike VP my kids only started solids at 6.5-7 mths old so I was still feeding 2-3hrly

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-10-2014),LoveLivesHere  (27-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilsMum View Post

Yep this.
    Worked for all 6 of mine.

It had nothing to with being hungry or not. It's a developmental stage.

My children who have over bites bites hurt more.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-10-2014)