+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Lunch, dinner ideas?

I'm looking at making bulk foods for DS during the days (we've just taken over the mortgage for our house off my father so trying to save money) I've been testing out jar food varieties to see what he likes, he loves everything he's tried so far but they are so expensive and not that great.

I'm thinking of making tuna mornay, tuna casserole things like that.

I'm far from a cook! Im a burn water kinda person lol. So I need things that aren't to complicated lol

Does anyone have any ideas?

He loves the finger food ideas I've been given before but I'm looking for some bulk meals I can make 😊

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know how old your DS is but for my 16 month olds I make up batches of bulk food and put them in the freezer in zip lock bags. I make tuna mornay with pasta and tons of veg, stews with cous cous, spaghetti bolognaise with rissoni pasta, apricot chicken with cous cous etc.

A really easy way to make bowl food like this is just to throw diced meat with a heap of vegetables in the slow cooker. I add water or stock and sometimes a little bit of fruit like tinned apricot or stewed pears. When it is cooked, throw in a bit of cous cous to thicken it (only takes about five minutes in there to be cooked) and then freeze. I've done tons of different stews like this with lots of different flavours. You can't get it wrong!! When my girls were little I just mashed it all when cooked. Now I just leave it chunky and the girls feed themselves with a spoon and bowl.

If you need to get your little one used to the flavour, the fruit helps with a little sweetness, or use sweet potato and pumpkin quite a bit.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to add he's 8 months. He hates purée now, he loves chewing so anything I can mash up with a fork is good.
    Thanks! I'm gonna try what you've mentioned. He eats pretty much whatever we have (if he can) but I think adding some fruits might make it a bit easier for him to get used to first 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At 8 months I used to make up batches of home made nuggets

200grams turkey or salmon mince
    Tablespoon chia seeds
    1 grated carrot
    Handful of peas
    Chopped fresh parsley
    Grated garlic
    1 egg

Mix into nugget or ball shapes and roll in bread or rice crumbs and oven bake or zucchini slice made in mini muffin tins

3 zucchini grated
    1 carrot grated
    Steamed broccoli chopped
    1 cup self-raising flour
    6 eggs
    1 1/2 cups cheese grated
    1 onion large diced
    Chia seeds
    Fresh or dried herbs

Mix together and spoon into muffin tins, bake for about 10 mins until cooked

Plus mini falafels or meat balls - it's easy for baby to hold and gum off little pieces and they all freeze well , don't be afraid to use lots of flavours !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! I remember you gave me great finger food ideas and he loves them lol

If I were to make say a spaghetti bolognese? I'd use smaller pasta I think, but how would I make a sauce? I've only ever used a jar I'm so far from creative lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just do mince, two tins of tomatoes, lots of vegies diced or grated. We cook risoni pasta which looks like rice but is pasta (you'll find it with the normal pasta in shops). We add this to the sauce. Ours its not very 'saucy'. More just a mix of the ingredients.

You can also buy passata, which is straight pureed tomatoes. It is in bottles near the other pasta sauces in shops. This is good too but may contain salt. Using this instead of tins of tomatoes is more like sauce you buy in jars.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine is mince, onion, garlic, mushrooms, grated carrot & zuchini, mixed herbs all cooked together, I then add a can of tomato soup and a splash of red wine (swap for whorchestershire sauce if you want). Simmer for 15 mins, if I've got time to simmer for about 40 mins I add a tin of diced tomatoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your replies. I'll be buying some of the things I'll need when I go grocery shopping

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try one of these healthy and easy-to-make recipes:

1. Meat with vegetables mix: Brown meat (beef or lamb) in pan for 5 minutes or until cooked. Add tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove potato skin and discard. Mash potato and add to pan. Stir together and cook for another 10 minutes.

2. Quinoa cereal: Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Puree with formula or water - it should resemble the consistency of cream of wheat.

3. Sweet potato custard: Mix 1/3 cup pureed sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup formula or milk and 1 egg yolk in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes, until it thickens. Cook another 30 seconds, until 160 degrees F is reached. Remove from heat, add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, stir, cool and serve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! That seem to be at my level of cooking! Lol