+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Legal financial assistance for dads when partner has kids and won't cooperate

We have a friend who is in this position whose marriage fell apart - both parties were at fault even though no one did anything majorly wrong. They have 2 young children and he is a good dad. She is quite bitter and not cooperating for the kids' sake, has moved away with the kids and he has moved to be closer to them but is still going through the courts to work out proper/increased access, parenting payments, etc. Due to the move he had to leave his job, has no income and is relatively homeless, yet he gets no assistance with the huge legal bills? Is this right?

I just feel sorry for the kids that they no longer get to see their dad very much at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    he should qualify for legal aid but without a place to live and stable income he wont get much access via the court systems

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd imagine that his wife would have the legal aid then. The move has only just happened and he is trying to get new work and a place as soon as possible. The court fees are astounding!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH's comment was that someone is making a monsa at the expense of broken relationships. I'm so sorry that your family has to give away so much money in trying to get things sorted - it's ridiculous. It just makes families less able to make it through the transitioning time financially stable. Our friend has spent that amount already too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Only one party will qualify for legal aid. If his ex wife has it he won't be able to access it. If she doesn't he should by what you have described about his income, although I believe they also have an assets test.

If he cannot get legal aid, his other option would be to represent himself. I have read mixed reports on the wisdom of doing this as you really need to know what you are doing. A good friend of mine went down this route and was successful - only because her ex was also representing himself and his affadavits were so ignorant and full of obvious lies that it was thrown out of court.
    nope both can qualify for legal aid, my ex and I both had legal aid, he had a legal aid solicitor and I had a private solicitor who worked with legal aid funding

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (27-10-2014),ozeymumof5  (27-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He could represent himself, but get legal advice on the side. So him to write all the letters to the other party and fill out court docs himself. Then just get a legal rep to check them over for him and give him verbal advice. There are also dad groups out there, so perhaps he could look online to get some advice from other dads going through it too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4LeafClover For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (27-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you - I'll pass this onto him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After over $100k and no head way being made, I am now self representing. I'm up for a 5 day trial next year and will be contracting some legal practitioners to check my work. There s a good website spca.org.au which has all sorts of great info. It's not easy self representing but it's doable.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (27-10-2014)